• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Die suggestions for newbie reloader...for 308 match

Am180man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2008
Missouri
Hey guys,

I usually shoot Federal Gold Match 168's and 175's out of my Elite Iron built Super SASS Ar-10 and my FN/SPR. With the Fed ammo I get sub MOA out of both guns. Unable to find any GMM ammo as of late, and have kept all my brass from past shooting sessions. Have a good supply of Fed 210M primers, Varget and IMR powder and SMK projos. Press I'll be using is the Redding T-7. As there is a plethora of die mfr's out there, I'm looking for suggestions from you guys who load match quality ammo....what do you recommend??? Full length size?, neck size?, micrometer adj dies?, what crimp die?, etc, etc. Any help/guidance is appreciated.
Steve

I would get a Redding FL die and a redding comp. seating die and call it a day. Simple, and you can load superbly accurate loads with this set up.

First question - have you kept your brass fired from each rifle separate?

IF yes, then buy a Redding Type S Neck Bushing die set - see here (out of stock) https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0007678155

If No, and you do not plan to keep your brass separate, you will need a small base kit for the Autoloader: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0007674155 As well as the kit from above. Federal Brass usually takes a .335 bushing I think. I have a T7 with the dies mentioned above, and they are great in both my bolt gun and my autoloader.

You can get a micrometer adjustable die set, but you usually only use it for one gun, making precision ammo than nearly never changes (think same bullet/length for every reload). Another words if you are loading for multiple 308's it is probably not your best bet. My load of choice is 168 SMK's with 2520 for my bolt gun, and 155 gr BT-FMJ Hornady's being pushed by burning CFE.

Lots of people have personal favorites but for an autoloader you need a die set with a FL and seater; that's about it. The average quality of your ammo will depend on YOU, not what color box your dies come in. Micro seating heads are user aids, they do nothing automatic for the quality of your reloads.

Last edited:
RBCS small base die, Forster Benchrest Seater
41.5 or 43 varget, LC/FC brass, 175SMK, 2.8" so it feeds well from any magazine
Make them until I run out of plastic boxes to put them in

What I do anyways

redding type s fl and redding type s neck
redding seater or forster seater. i buy all redding now to keep it neat.
i usually get the fl and seater as a set then buy the neck sizer extra.
all the other dies are shat IMHO

I use a redding competition seating die for seating. Since you are a semi auto, I would look for a nice bushing full length sizing die so you can set the correct neck tension while FL sizing. I don't crimp my 308 loads.