• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dies for precision/bolt action .308

Andy T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Northeast
I am a beginner to reloading and trying to figure what die set to get for .308. I am planning on reloading in a single stage press for a bolt action rifle, precision being the main emphasis.

Re: Dies for precision/bolt action .308

Look at Forster and redding

I have Redding dies and Hornady lock rings. Great combination because the Hornady lock rings don't screw down on the actual threads of the die.

"Precision" and "tactical" are words retailers use to get people to turn their brains off, and pay WAAAAAAY more than they need to.

I use basic Lee / Hornady presses / dies, and get 0.80" groups at 200 yards, 1.75" groups at 500 yards from my DPMS LR-308. I use a basic Lee turret press.

And yes. I have the target to prove it.

I've long been a fan of Redding and Forster dies for .308 but totally by accident I tried a Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension die set. I figured "what the heck". The die set was $30 and Hornady would give me a box of bullets just for buying it. Total out of pocket for a great looking die set was $10.

I now use the Hornady die set exclusively when loading my .308 "precision" ammo. The sized cases are straighter than any sized with either my Redding standard sizing die as well as cases sized with my Forster "Bench Rest" sizing die.

The seating die is a sliding sleeve type die, much like the up-market "Competition" dies. Again, the Hornady Seater die does as good, sometimes better than when I seat bullets with my Forster Bench Rest seating die. The Redding isn't even close.

In short, I found that the Name and the price don't always mean the end result will be any better. In some cases it's even worse because the Forster seater die, which cost me twice what the Hornady CG ND die SET cost.

Just a funny aside, the .308 Hornady seater die will seat bullets on any .30 cal cartridge. Just adjust the stop for the seater plug. I use the same die for 30-06 as well as the .308. Only the sizing dies are different.

I like Dillon, Hornady and Redding for rifle. I have sets of redding and Hornady currently and I'd give a slight edge to Redding.

I use mostly Redding and Hornady New Dimension dies. I also use RCBS, Forster, Lyman, Pacific, Dillon and CH for various other carts.

I'm gravitating to Redding body dies and bushing neck sizers, but I have a few FL bushing dies as well.

For seating duties on 223, 22-250 and 308 Win, I'll use the Hornady dies with their micro seating stem. For 338LM, I use a Forster microseater and for 7RM, I use a Redding Comp microseater.

All the seating dies work pretty well, but if you sent me a thousand dollars, I'd probably convert to the Redding Comp seaters.

The devil is in the details for precision ammo, so pay attention to them.

Chris

Ive used rcbs, Dillon, Forster and Redding. I would say Rcbs is at the bottom of the boat. The quality just isnt there as it is with the others. I use a Forster micro seat die for 308 and its the bomb! If you are just starting out I would start cheaper then upgrade as you go. You can always sell your reloading stuff on ebay.

Redding Type S FL Die will proper for you

I use a redding or forster for full length sizing but I absolutely love the lee collet neck dies. they will produce ammo with less runout than just about any other die I have found.

chuck

I use the Hornady New Dimensions as well. They have been giving me great groups for my .308 precision loads. Would a more expense die tighten the group? Maybe, but I doubt it would be much. I am happy with them.

For my .308 I use RCBS competiton full length set and a Lee collet die. Before that I used Lee full length set and both made good ammo.

Redding 38155. Comp Seater, S Bushing die and a bump die. All you need.

Any of them will likely load ammo better than you can shoot. Anyone that tells you different probably learned to reload from cruising the internet.

I personally like Redding but I own at least 3 other manufactures.

Another vote for the lee sizing dies. I use all Lee dies except for the seating die which is a Redding Competition. Has worked for me so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultraman550</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Redding dies and Hornady lock rings. Great combination because the Hornady lock rings don't screw down on the actual threads of the die. </div></div>

yep. Redding S type FL die/comp seater with Hornady lock rings.... great combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use basic Lee / Hornady presses / dies, and get 0.80" groups at 200 yards, 1.75" groups at 500 yards from my DPMS LR-308. I use a basic Lee turret press.

And yes. I have the target to prove it. </div></div>

So your DPMS is shooting sub 1/2MOA?