• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dies making mark on bullet

parkj5

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2010
Bentley ,La.
I am having trouble with some Redding ,and rcbs dies making marks on bullets when seating the bullet.one is a 25-06 and the other is a 257 WM.Any help would be greatly Appreciated .

Re: Dies making mark on bullet

what kind of markings? Is it a ring around the nose of the bullet? If so, that's not uncommon. I've had one make bullet leave a very noticable ring while other are none to barely noticeable.

If it's down the sides of the bullet there is probably crap around the bushing that guides the bullet...just clean the dies and you should be good to go.

I put seating stems in the lathe and touch up with fine emery cloth.

Do a search and see, if it is not archived out of SH 2 year search, it may still be in Google search:
Someone here on SH puts epoxy in the stem and then partially seats a bullet, waits, and that way he has glass bedded the stem cup to a particular bullet shape.

I have been doing the lathe trick for over 10 years for many cartridges, and it works good enough for me. I actually had bullets get stuck in the seater die, not just ring around the ogive.

it is u can see it good and feel it with your finger nail. i tried some cheap lee dies and they do not make the mark on the 25-06... I think ill take them apart and polish the surface area and try that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: parkj5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is u can see it good and feel it with your finger nail. i tried some cheap lee dies and they do not make the mark on the 25-06... I think ill take them apart and polish the surface area and try that.
</div></div>
You can lap your seater plug with one of the bullets youre trying to seat I suppose, I ordered and just got in 2 days ago a custom seater for AMAX and match bullets from Hornady, they or it worked very well, no more indents, comes from too much neck tension Id imagine, Im loading with brand new lapua brass.

Actually, you could leave it alone, that ring has no significant effect. But, to fix it, chuck your seating stem in a drill, cup out. Make a 'paper cone' of medium grit sandpaper and use it to radius the inner edge of the spinning seater cup.

You might have excessive neck tension that could be reduced with bushing sizer die and eliminate the problem.

Chuck the seater stem in a drill.
Wrap the nose of your bullet with fine sandpaper.
Spin the stem on the paper wrapped bullet.
Chamfer your case mouths....the inside....good.

Thanks guys ill give it a try. Do a before and after pic. thing sounds kinda common.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Chuck the seater stem in a drill.
Wrap the nose of your bullet with fine sandpaper.
Spin the stem on the paper wrapped bullet.
Chamfer your case mouths....the inside....good.</div></div>
+1

I had the same problem with an RCBS seater die. It made a ring around the tip of the bullet. Same fix as stated above - fine sandpaper wrapped around the bullet tip to smooth the seater. Easy fix.

I would leave it alone and investigate why there's enough seating resistance to result in bullet marking. IMHO that's a tipoff that neck tension may be too firm.

Necks can become work hardened and this can in turn result in an increase in seating force/neck tencion.

It's one of the ways I can recognize that my brass is getting near the end of its useful life. Others might see it as an invitation to anneal it.

Greg

Is it impacting accuracy?

I get "ring around the bullet" on 130gr Berger VLDs with a Lee Pacesetter seating die, and they still shoot sub-half MOA groups...probably could do better than that if the nut behind the trigger was any good.