• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

dies redding

25IA260

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2009
NC
Ok i got a question on the redding S dies ... set came as marked complete.. had a neck sizing die, a body die an a bullet seat... do the bushing come out or able to move inside the die...????

thing is i couldn't get the neck tight enough to hold a bullet in place
with or without the decapping rod in place...ran the die up an down in all postions.. NADA...

case ID on a fired case is .244 ... after sizing it read the same.

Edit-- dies marked .. 6M Br Rem. is that a diff then 6M Br norma ?

Re: dies redding

What size is your bushing? And what is the outside diameter of the neck? I don't think you are getting any sizing on the neck. Depending on how much neck tension you want, you need another .002" to .004" of neck tension (or more, depending on how big your current bushing is).
The 2 rounds are the same. There has been some slight differences in the size of the case head and the OAL of the brass.

Ok... the case is 1.551 in length, OD neck is .271, ID .2435-.244
this on a fire case..
there was no change after running thru the neck dies as mention before

i couldn't tell the size of the bushing .. it or whatever was inside the die an didn't come out or move one way or the other

i understand or think i do what the die/bushing should do but it ain't do'n anything..

actually what i was trying to figure out is ...should there be a part inside this die set that moves or comes out ?

Did you purchase bushings separately, or trying to use dies just as you bought them?

Sounds as if you are trying to re-size without a bushing.

using as they came...

box said complete ?

Edit: on the box- part # 8317

Do you have a bushing installed? Once you buy the dies, you will need a bushing. You have to purchase this seperatly. What is the neck thickness on your brass, and we can figure out the needed bushing.

don't have a way to accurately measure the neck thickness but i get with the dial calipers 15thousand

if subtract the bullet dia .243 from the OD .271 an didved by 2 i get 14 thousands.. so it must be close.. ?

Edit;
using as they came...

box said complete ?

Edit: on the box- part # 8317

i'd really like to know the answer to the problem but i sent the dies back
there is some sort of a mis match with the set.. i went an used the body die an it did move the shoulder... the inside of the body die looked exactly like the neck sizer i figure if there was a bushing in it, it may have been frozen rusted or damaged one way or another i wasn't gonna deal with $100 worth problems

thanks to all

Type-S dies don't come with bushings installed.

Unless you put a bushing in it, you were sizing without a bushing.

i did some research an i understand what your saying did some visual look at parts for both types of dies S an B series
lets say i have the proper bushing in hand...
what end do you put it in the die from...
from the top where the decap shaft is or the bottom where the case goes in .. ?

Ps/ not being nerd'ee but i already sent the die set back but still would like to learn what the problem .. me or the dies.. not ever using S type before but have load my own for many many yrs with many types/brand dies including collets..

Honestly, get a standard full length 2 die set, and you'll be much better off. There's too many questions to type to figure it out here. If you want to give me a ring, I'll help you through it. My number is on my website.

Chad thanks i already sent those dies back an yes a reorder of series B was made at the same time the #'s are 80317 an 81317

i'll be be going up to the club i have a application in to an roll it around there

appreciate the offer an advice,... thanks
smile.gif

Rich..