• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

dies?

aloreman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2011
orangeville pa
recently purchased a savage 110hs 338 lapua mag. was wondering what dies you guys are getting the best performance out of.(concentricity) Was thinking a redding body die to resize the bodys after a few reloadings then a redding s die with neck bushing for the necks and a wilsom chamber die to seat the bullets. Any opinions?

Re: dies?

I use the Redding die. Double seatthem, by turning 180 degrees and very seldom are they more that .01 out on the concentric.

I'm a Forster guy. Used lots of stuff including Redding. Redding is great, but I don't feel your money gets you snything over Forster.

I recommend the FLS and Ultra-mic set, and their AWESOME bushing bump die, which sizes the neck with a bushing and bumps the shoulder back, so that chambering feels like it's been FLSd - eithout working the brass much.

The same can be achieved by sizing with Reddings neck die, then using the body die...but the Forster does both with one operation.

I achieve concentricity of no worse than .0015" with Forster in my Dillon 650, paying no particular attention to starting my bullets nicely aligned with the neck - or doing the seat/spin/seat maneuver.

Forster and Redding are my choice dies, but IMHO the best concentricity is achieved thru refining of your reloading techniques, if your brass has run out when it comes out of the chamber no die or technique in the world will make straight ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spanky8601</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Redding die. Double seat them, by turning 180 degrees and very seldom are they more that .01 out on the concentric. </div></div>

I agree...also take a look at Hornady new Dimension dies.

I prefer the redding because they offer the ti nitrided bushings. They work really smooth!

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I recommend the FLS and Ultra-mic set, and their AWESOME bushing bump die, which sizes the neck with a bushing and bumps the shoulder back, so that chambering feels like it's been FLSd - eithout working the brass much.
</div></div>

Don't think they offer the bushing bump die in .338 (unless its a custom part?)

I'm happily using the Forster full length dies for my .338, the seating die is excellent. My usual method for case sizing (.243 / .260 / .308 etc) is to use a Redding body die and Lee Collet die.

In order, in my humble experience:

Forster -->Redding-->Hornady-->RCBS-->Lee