• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Diesel truck guys.....

Re: Diesel truck guys.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must admit I don't know too much about this, however, my friend has a Dodge 2500 with a 6.7 Cummins and it does run well.
On occasion I get stuck with driving it around the farms and find it to have too much steam,ie power, to my liking.
He uses a Power Chip for performance and/or towing.
If I get stuck with it for towing, he brings over a little box and plugs it in to a towing mode then sends me on my way.
Whats with that?
When I get back after towing a load of calves or horses. Here he comes again and plugs that box in again and pushes performance.
The truck runs too well for me as to power and seems to get good mileage either loaded or empty as long as he brings that box out and adjusts it.
Have any of you any knowledge as to what is going on with that?
It damn sure has lots of power.
Regards, FM</div></div>

Witchcraft!!!

IMHO, the 2 best things you can do to a 2007.5+ truck are the DPF delete and EGR delete. Whatever hippie thought it would be a wise idea to get rid of "icky" diesel smoke by trapping it, pouring raw fuel on it and lighting it on fire, is a fucking retard. It's a waste of fuel, and it will be the single biggest improvement you do to the truck as far as mileage gain.

The EGR on these trucks runs VERY hot, and there is an "egr cooler" upgrade out there if you don't want to remove it. However that is the cheapest and easiest solution.

Get a programmer that can accommodate these things, and it will allow you to turn off the DPF purge cycles and stuff in the ECM.

If the truck is brand new, you might not want to do all of this because of warranty issues. But if it's a used truck, then i'd rip it all out.

BTW- I call bullshit on whoever said you can't get over 20 mpg. My 2001 routinely gets 22+, though i'm running 37" HMMWV tires on it. If I drive like an ass, it does drop a bit, but it still does very well for a truck that's 27' long and weighs 7500+ lbs... and hey, it's worth it for the power i've got. I use it more like a tractor than a truck, at least a good deal of the time.

Your 2001 doesn't have pilot injection. My truck has basically no emissions devices, 35s, and 3.73s with a .79 overdrive and it hardly gets 20 mpg at 55 mph. At 65-70, 17-18 is as good as it gets.

Older trucks do better. It might seem counterintuitive, but the pilot injection killed the good mileage days. Also, I suspect that my truck is heavier than yours, and that all newer trucks are heavier than the 2nd gen trucks.

I suppose that would depend on how much crap you have installed on yours. At the time I weighed mine, it had ranch hands on both ends, a full tool box, etc. Your frame is a bit nicer (thicker) than mine I know, at least up front, so it might be bit heavier if similarly equipped... but at what point does freaking heavy just become a moot point? lol

I know that the pilot injection would tend to use a bit more fuel, but your truck also doesn't rattle the fillings out of your teeth, lol. I can't imagine that it contributes to more than a mpg or two over the same distance, surely it's not that inefficient?

I'd give up a few mpg if it really was a better truck, i'm actually looking for a low mileage (odometer wise) '06 dodge to buy in the near future. I just can't see owning a later model where it is choked with all that emissions shit.

BTW- i'm running 3.54 gears and manual trans, so that helps a bit too.

I have an 04.5 3500 with the nv5600, best I have gotten (have only owned it for 3500 miles) is 22mpg. The standard is 17.2mpg. I know everyone says the overhead mpg reader lies, but I reset mine at every fill up, along with the odometer on the overhead, and it is usually with in .2mpg off from the hand calc. I have a superchips cortex installed and run it on mileage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must admit I don't know too much about this, however, my friend has a Dodge 2500 with a 6.7 Cummins and it does run well.
On occasion I get stuck with driving it around the farms and find it to have too much steam,ie power, to my liking.
He uses a Power Chip for performance and/or towing.
If I get stuck with it for towing, he brings over a little box and plugs it in to a towing mode then sends me on my way.
Whats with that?
When I get back after towing a load of calves or horses. Here he comes again and plugs that box in again and pushes performance.
The truck runs too well for me as to power and seems to get good mileage either loaded or empty as long as he brings that box out and adjusts it.
Have any of you any knowledge as to what is going on with that?

He turns it down to towing, because when pulling heavy loads on a high horsepower setting, the cylinder temperatures get to high and you can damage the engine. A lot of people know nothing about this and cause $$$$ damage to their engines because they just heard xxx is the best power adder, they go and buy it, and install it on its highest setting and blast away.
It damn sure has lots of power.
Regards, FM </div></div>

The only problem about removing the egr is the fact that the turbo was sized to the engine to work with the egr. Without the egr functioning on the engine the turbo has to work harder to deliver the same amount of air to the engine, it has to run higher rpms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Confused89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only problem about removing the egr is the fact that the turbo was sized to the engine to work with the egr. Without the egr functioning on the engine the turbo has to work harder to deliver the same amount of air to the engine, it has to run higher rpms. </div></div>

Uhh? No.
The EGR system acronym is exhaust gas recirculation. Its purpose is to recirculate already burned (dead air). All of the gasses that came from the EGR came from the turbo. It takes up space in the combustion chamber to keep oxides of nitrogen from forming when they nitrogen and oxygen combine when the combustion chamber gets above 2,500 degrees. It just takes up space lowering the combustion temperature. In a cruise it effectively will make the motor a smaller displacement thereby actually increasing fuel mileage to a certain degree. Honda did a very effective job of this. They also used an extreme lean burn to create the same effect.

The removal of the EGR will increase most of the good things you want as long as it is compensated for. This goes for diesel as well as gas. Much of the time a bad programmer will screw up the software and cause all kinds of problems. Ask me how I know.
smile.gif

"bad programmer" means the person programming not the actual device that modifies the vehicle. Just thought I would clarify that.

Yeah I don't think you got the point I was trying to make. The engine was designed to run with EGR. The egr flow (volume of gas through the egr system) was figured into the total volume of air (gaseous material) that the engine needed. The the size of the turbo for flow properties was figured of off that. I understand that the engine will run better without an egr system there, but the turbo was sized to the engine in conjunction with the egr. Do you get it now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The removal of the EGR will increase most of the good things you want as long as it is compensated for. This goes for diesel as well as gas. </div></div>

This is not true. Gas engines get better mileage with EGR because they always must run at least something close to a stoichiometric ratio and the EGR system replaces some of the engine's displacement with inert gas. The same is not true for diesel, which runs unthrottled and so eliminating EGR has no effect on fuel mileage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Confused89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I don't think you got the point I was trying to make. The engine was designed to run with EGR. The egr flow (volume of gas through the egr system) was figured into the total volume of air (gaseous material) that the engine needed. The the size of the turbo for flow properties was figured of off that. I understand that the engine will run better without an egr system there, but the turbo was sized to the engine in conjunction with the egr. Do you get it now? </div></div>

This is wrong. Diesel engines do not need to run a consistent air to fuel ratio like gasoline engines. EGR has nothing to do with the amount of air necessary for the engine.

EGR wouldn't have any influence on sizing the turbocharger on a gasoline engine anyway. Maximum amount of air is needed at maximum engine load and RPM, and under those conditions, the EGR valve would be closed anyway.

EGR does increase cruise RPM fuel mileage in gasoline engines, but is useless other than to control emissions on a diesel engine.

These discussions seem to nearly always go wrong, because people who think they know about engines will bring gasoline engine theory to discussions about diesel engines. Diesel engines do not operate like gasoline engines in more ways than just the method of lighting the fuel mixture. If you're going to enter a discussion on diesel engines, I suggest that you ponder:

1. why diesel engines do not have or need a throttle plate
2. what "ignition timing" means in the context of a diesel engine and why it's different
3. how fuel mixtures affect output of a diesel engine compared to a gasoline engine

Here is my 2007 5.9 at around 700Hp (box turned down to around 600). The truck has 2-500hp shots of nitrous, but those (obviously) were off. My Son was in the cab so I had to take it easy.
The Powersroke dynod at 470rwhp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN4dCldPSTM

The truck was meant to be a sleeper btw.
At that point I got the same economy as stock (when my foot was out of it).

Later I went with monster twins and a ridiculous fuel system that made 980hp and 1860ftlbs (no nitrous)on its first run. The truck cost a fortune to build (about 100 large)and near as much to keep running.I even broke the aftermarket bill fat shafts in the trans. The truck made so much power it would spin the tires driving down the highway.....In four wheel drive.

Yup, you read that right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The removal of the EGR will increase most of the good things you want as long as it is compensated for. This goes for diesel as well as gas. </div></div>

This is not true. Gas engines get better mileage with EGR because they always must run at least something close to a stoichiometric ratio and the EGR system replaces some of the engine's displacement with inert gas. The same is not true for diesel, which runs unthrottled and so eliminating EGR has no effect on fuel mileage.

</div></div>

Check out what I posted. This matches what you say so we are not disagreeing.

Uhh? No.
The EGR system acronym is exhaust gas recirculation. Its purpose is to recirculate already burned (dead air). All of the gasses that came from the EGR came from the turbo. It takes up space in the combustion chamber to keep oxides of nitrogen from forming when they nitrogen and oxygen combine when the combustion chamber gets above 2,500 degrees. <span style="color: #FF0000"> It just takes up space lowering the combustion temperature. In a cruise it effectively will make the motor a smaller displacement thereby actually increasing fuel mileage to a certain degree. </span> Honda did a very effective job of this. They also used an extreme lean burn to create the same effect.

The removal of the EGR will increase most of the good things you want as long as it is compensated for. This goes for diesel as well as gas. Much of the time a bad programmer will screw up the software and cause all kinds of problems. Ask me how I know.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Check out what I posted. This matches what you say so we are not disagreeing.

Uhh? No.
The EGR system acronym is exhaust gas recirculation. Its purpose is to recirculate already burned (dead air). All of the gasses that came from the EGR came from the turbo. It takes up space in the combustion chamber to keep oxides of nitrogen from forming when they nitrogen and oxygen combine when the combustion chamber gets above 2,500 degrees. <span style="color: #FF0000"> It just takes up space lowering the combustion temperature. In a cruise it effectively will make the motor a smaller displacement thereby actually increasing fuel mileage to a certain degree. </span> Honda did a very effective job of this. They also used an extreme lean burn to create the same effect.

smile.gif
</div></div>

There is nothing to compensate for on a diesel. EGR serves NO purpose other than emissions, and there is nothing in the tune that must or should be changed on account of it.

There is no reason to displace oxygen in the combustion chamber of a diesel engine, because diesel engines are unthrottled and diesel burns effectively at a wide range of AFRs, unlike a gasoline engine. Removing the EGR does not require "richening" the mixture for effective combustion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Confused89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I don't think you got the point I was trying to make. The engine was designed to run with EGR. The egr flow (volume of gas through the egr system) was figured into the total volume of air (gaseous material) that the engine needed. The the size of the turbo for flow properties was figured of off that. I understand that the engine will run better without an egr system there, but the turbo was sized to the engine in conjunction with the egr. Do you get it now? </div></div>

This is wrong. Diesel engines do not need to run a consistent air to fuel ratio like gasoline engines. EGR has nothing to do with the amount of air necessary for the engine.

EGR wouldn't have any influence on sizing the turbocharger on a gasoline engine anyway. Maximum amount of air is needed at maximum engine load and RPM, and under those conditions, the EGR valve would be closed anyway.

EGR does increase cruise RPM fuel mileage in gasoline engines, but is useless other than to control emissions on a diesel engine.

These discussions seem to nearly always go wrong, because people who think they know about engines will bring gasoline engine theory to discussions about diesel engines. Diesel engines do not operate like gasoline engines in more ways than just the method of lighting the fuel mixture. If you're going to enter a discussion on diesel engines, I suggest that you ponder:

2. what "ignition timing" means in the context of a diesel engine and why it's different
3. how fuel mixtures affect output of a diesel engine compared to a gasoline engine </div></div>

I am not talking about a gasoline engine, I am talking about a Diesel engine. And for you points I will make aurguments.

1. Why does the DD15 have a throttle?
The answer is to better control the flow of egr gas into the intake manifold. Granted that is the first Diesel that I have seen with a throttle, Navistar uses one too, but I expect more will use them.

2. The fuel injection controls the timing of the ignition of the combustion. Just like fuel injectors have gotten more complicated. Such as the 6.7 Cummins. It has three different injections during certian times. You will have a pre-ignition injection that helps warm up the cylinder. Then you will have the main injection of fuel. After that is done and the combustion process happens you will have a post combustion injection during regens. That is how the fuel gets delivered to the DPF.

3. A diesel can run stupid lean. It can also run really rich.

You say that egr has no affect on the size of the turbo, but I do dissagree. Look at the ISX 15 liter Cummins engine. 2007 that engine had a massive turbo. It was the same size as when the engine came out in 1998. Now 2010 the turbo is much smaller. The turbo is the same size that was used on an ISM. Why is that? More EGR flow.

I think you are talking about the intake air (IA) valve it is located upstream of the intake air heater, and is normally in the open position. The ECM commands the valve to close in order to precisely control combustion temperature control during exhaust particulate filter (EPF) regeneration. The IA valve will make sure the temperature of the exhaust gas remains in an efficient range under all operating conditions. The IA valve system uses a position sensor similar to a gas engine located within the valve assembly to monitor the position of the valve. The IA valve uses a motor to move the valve to a closed position and spring tension to return it to the open position.

GM uses the a "pilot injection". I think you are calling it pre-ignition. GM uses it to reduce engine noise so the diesel does not sound so much like a diesel. It also helps window operation. It does this by not making as much noise as the older Cummins in the morning thereby reducing your neighbors likelihood to put a brick through your window.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Confused89</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

3. how fuel mixtures affect output of a diesel engine compared to a gasoline engine </div></div>

I am not talking about a gasoline engine, I am talking about a Diesel engine. And for you points I will make aurguments.

1. Why does the DD15 have a throttle?
The answer is to better control the flow of egr gas into the intake manifold. Granted that is the first Diesel that I have seen with a throttle, Navistar uses one too, but I expect more will use them.

2. The fuel injection controls the timing of the ignition of the combustion. Just like fuel injectors have gotten more complicated. Such as the 6.7 Cummins. It has three different injections during certian times. You will have a pre-ignition injection that helps warm up the cylinder. Then you will have the main injection of fuel. After that is done and the combustion process happens you will have a post combustion injection during regens. That is how the fuel gets delivered to the DPF.

3. A diesel can run stupid lean. It can also run really rich.

You say that egr has no affect on the size of the turbo, but I do dissagree. Look at the ISX 15 liter Cummins engine. 2007 that engine had a massive turbo. It was the same size as when the engine came out in 1998. Now 2010 the turbo is much smaller. The turbo is the same size that was used on an ISM. Why is that? More EGR flow. </div></div>

Where are the arguments? There is nothing there responding to anything I've said. It's just more pontification. And, as before, most of it is wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Confused89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Granted that is the first Diesel that I have seen with a throttle, Navistar uses one too, but I expect more will use them.</div></div>
Throttle plates have been used on diesel engines for many, many years, but very few were/are built in the US. Remember we were a country that has a history of, with enough HP, you can make a rock fly. That said the days of cheap fuel is over, forever.

For those of you without one(throttle plate) on your engine, next time your changing the Air filter, with the engine running at idle start restricting the intake air flow, an see what happens. It can be done with your hands if your strong enough, if not use a piece of plate steel, that's larger than the intake runner/s an won't get sucked into the engine.
Throttle plates are/were used for fuel saving(raising the heat rate) on some diesels, but what your seeing today is for emission an fuel saving, combined.
Basically they are doing everything they can to meet emissions, while trying to save the engines heat rate. I predict the next generation with have rotary intake an exhaust valves,... if they have exhaust valves at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Confused89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Granted that is the first Diesel that I have seen with a throttle, Navistar uses one too, but I expect more will use them.</div></div>
Throttle plates have been used on diesel engines for many, many years, but very few were/are built in the US. Remember we were a country that has a history of, with enough HP, you can make a rock fly. That said the days of cheap fuel is over, forever.

For those of you without one(throttle plate) on your engine, next time your changing the Air filter, with the engine running at idle start restricting the intake air flow, an see what happens. It can be done with your hands if your strong enough, if not use a piece of plate steel, that's larger than the intake runner/s an won't get sucked into the engine.
Throttle plates are/were used for fuel saving(raising the heat rate) on some diesels, but what your seeing today is for emission an fuel saving, combined.
Basically they are doing everything they can to meet emissions, while trying to save the engines heat rate. I predict the next generation with have rotary intake an exhaust valves,... if they have exhaust valves at all. </div></div>

I have not heard of these rotary intake and exhaust vavles. Can you explain how they would work. What is your definition of the "next generation" of diesel engines?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Confused89</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Confused89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Granted that is the first Diesel that I have seen with a throttle, Navistar uses one too, but I expect more will use them.</div></div>

Basically they are doing everything they can to meet emissions, while trying to save the engines heat rate. I predict the next generation with have rotary intake an exhaust valves,... if they have exhaust valves at all. </div></div>

I have not heard of these rotary intake and exhaust vavles. Can you explain how they would work. What is your definition of the "next generation" of diesel engines?</div></div>
Rotory valves are not really new but they have had some sealing and carbon issues. The upside is no valve float, huge increase in flow, better timing while running ability. I will try to scrounge up a picture.

Thank you for the picture. I do learn something new everyday. It looks expensive to me.

I will have to continue this discusion in two weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There is nothing to compensate for on a diesel. EGR serves NO purpose other than emissions, and there is nothing in the tune that must or should be changed on account of it.

There is no reason to displace oxygen in the combustion chamber of a diesel engine, because diesel engines are unthrottled and diesel burns effectively at a wide range of AFRs, unlike a gasoline engine. Removing the EGR does not require "richening" the mixture for effective combustion. </div></div>
You would be wrong there.
The egr drops EGTs significantly by reducing oxygen.
When they went to egr system they actually had to decrease the size of the intercooler to get the motor hot enough.

Compare a 2007 intercooler to a 2009 and you will see what I mean.

Remove the egr and egts go up...hence the programer being required....Under heavy applications the box pulls fuel to reduce egts.
Smarty is the only programmer that ever goes into my trucks.

I did see some increase in fuel economy when I did the dpf delete on my 2010...Gains were mainly around town..Highway not as much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was fast. Thank you google.
http://www.coatesengine.com/uploads/7/1/4/1/7141191/5327688.jpg?1305294237 </div></div>

You think the rotary valves flow better than a 4 valve head?
I experimented with air flow on my 2007 5.9 and saw no real difference....I dont think it much matters with a turbo setup.

I run my (significantly modded )5.9 to 5000 rpm and it will rev to 6000....I just get weak in the knees thinking about all that mass flying around. The wrist pin on a 5.9 must weigh 5 pounds!

Dodge uses pilot events from 2003 and newer btw

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was fast. Thank you google.
http://www.coatesengine.com/uploads/7/1/4/1/7141191/5327688.jpg?1305294237 </div></div>

You think the rotary valves flow better than a 4 valve head?
I experimented with air flow on my 2007 5.9 and saw no real difference....I dont think it much matters with a turbo setup.

I run my (significantly modded )5.9 to 5000 rpm and it will rev to 6000....I just get weak in the knees thinking about all that mass flying around. The wrist pin on a 5.9 must weigh 5 pounds!

Dodge uses pilot events from 2003 and newer btw</div></div>
A rotory valve has a huge potiential to flow more than any conventional cylinder head. It just has had issues with carbon and sealing. Who knows maybe it will become viable maybe not. Thanks for the info on Cummins pilot. I had checked that out on my Mitchel on demand.

Just a bit of an update on this....

Truck is a BUST!!!

since getting back home from Afg its 12MPG's average!

I have 7500 miles on it now in about 9 months. It has been in the shop 3 times so far.

#1, Check Engine Light, truck stayed running when key is was turned off- Was some sort of exhaust sensor and tech's phone call to higher ups said running was normal....

#2, Check Engine Light and stayed running- Again some sort of Exhaust sensor and replaced some sort of computer.

#3, Check Engine Light, Remote start non functional, truck stayed running, after sitting a few days it was very sluggish to move in forward or reverse at first- Replaced Sesnor again!, Replaced some sort of valve body, replaced tranny filters, replaced computer again!, replaced switch, and hell who knows what else.

Anyway I got it back thursday, and drove it to Tac Pro (45 miles each way), has to go back AGAIN!!!

3 out of the 4 keys I have for the truck do not work now. DVD system does not work now. CEL is on again... On a side note the truck averages 12MPG's but when the CEL has came on it has been shooting up to 14-16MPG's on the feedback thingy.

Kinda wish I would have leased instead of purchased.... Though about going ahead and ditching it to go back to a 1500 but would take a major hit on all the cash I put down on this thing. Note to self: DONT PUT LARGE SUMS OF CASH DOWN ON A TRUCK....

How many times do they get to try to fix it before I can smash through the sales window in it and burn it to the ground on the sales floor?