• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Diet Help Please

sqidd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2011
Michigan
I need some help here guys. And a lot of you seem to know what you are doing.

First, the back story. Way back.

When I was 19yrs old I was 6’ 127lb. I’m “bird boned”. I didn’t want to be 127lb so I started going to the gym. For the most part I lifted weights until I was 26yrs old. I made some mistakes (overtraining the biggest) but I did pretty good. At 26yrs old I was 6’ 173lb, had a 28” waist and ripped to shreds……I’m talking seriously ripped. I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. The only thing I had to make sure of was that I was eating enough. I was in fantastic shape. Pretty much unstoppable.

When I turned 27 I started roadracing motorcycles. And going to the gym doesn’t do you much good racing bikes (assuming you are in shape). So I stopped going to the gym. What I did do was make sure I had handlebars in my hands every spare moment. I was either on a MX bike, mountain bike, snowmobile or at the road race track testing/practicing/racing (I have a few tracks that are really close). When I retired from racing at 35yrs old I was back down to 150lb. Great weight for roadracing of course (105lb would have been better if I was 5’ tall) and my core strength was really good and my cardio FANTASTIC. From 27-35yrs old I still ate whatever I could stuff in my face. The biggest problem was eating enough.

So at 35yrs old I stop racing, and did what most racers do……..nothing. I effectively did nothing for the last 6yrs (I’m 41 now). Yeah I work in the shop every once in a while but for the most part I became sedentary. Big mistake. This past summer I made it all the way up to 209lb. None of is muscle. Basically I put on about 50-60lb……..not good. I don’t look that bad in clothes because I am 6’ tall, but I am not in the shape I have been my entire life and I felt pretty crappy. My diet was crap, I didn’t sleep well, etc.

So I decide to get back in shape. But I wanted to take it easy when I got started. Killing myself at the gym the first day back wasn’t going to do anything but put me back on the couch. For the first 2 weeks I just walked (with my dog). One mile at first, then two, then three. It got to where I didn’t want to spend anymore time walking so I started wearing a pack that weighs 60lb. For the next two weeks I walked 3-4mi a day with the pack on. I started feeling better. I also started to pay more attention to what I was eating.

After a month of walking I got myself back in the gym. Again, I wanted to take it easy. I started doing the standard Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday schedule and doing one body part a day. Every workout started with 15-25min on the bike. For the first 2 weeks I went with light weights and high reps (25/set). Worked out pretty good, didn’t hurt myself, recovered pretty good, never missed a day. After two weeks I upped the weight and lowered the reps and started doing a more “classic” workout. 10 reps/ set, maxing out on the last set.

Over the last month I have changed my diet considerably. I’m eating almost no simple carbohydrates (within reason), no deserts, no junk. Basically I eat meat, vegetables, oatmeal, eggs, some fruit and one “protein shake” a day. This is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast- Oatmeal 300 calories

Workout

“Lunch”- Protein shake 300 calories

Dinner- About 3cups of chicken, and a couple cups of broccoli

Second dinner (10pm)- about 1 cup of chicken

I drink about 100oz of water/day

This is not what I eat every day, but my caloric intake is pretty steady. I’m guessing between 1200-1800 calories/day.

Obviously this puts me at a calorie deficit. Which is the only way I am going to loose weight. Here is my “problem”. I’ve ramped the intensity of my workouts up to a pretty good level. I wouldn’t call it anywhere near over-training though. For example, yesterday was a shoulder day and this is what I did:

15min on the bike

Shoulder Press, 4 sets, max out on last set

Reverse flys, 3 sets, max out on last set

Upright rows, 3 sets, max out on last set

Tricep cable “push downs”, 4 sets, max out on last set

150 reps of abs (I do abs every other day)

I don’t think that is a particularly “big” workout. Yeah I’m lifting toward the heavy end of things, but I’m not going crazy. And I’m not doing a ton of reps. I’m in the gym for about an hour. On the plus side I am making gains. I have only been back in the gym for 5 weeks and my strength has gone up and without prompting people have asked me “did you start working out?”. I’ve definitely put on a little mass. I’m also loosing weight. Looks like about a lb/wk. I can live with that too. I would like to get rid of my spare tire ASAP, but I realize it won’t happen in a month, no big deal. The problem I am having is recovering from my workouts. Obviously I’m not eating enough of the right stuff. But I am trying to do two things at once, cut fat and build muscle. As far as diet goes that is a bit conflicted.

One more variable. About a year and a half ago my Dr. figured out why (or part of why) I was feeling so bad all the time. My testosterone levels were in the toilet. Easily solved, I now have a patch I put on and that’s all fixed. Maybe better than fixed. My testosterone level, while still in the “normal” range (it’s a pretty big range), are pretty high. I don’t know if this is contributing to my what I think are pretty big/fast gains. Or I am just imagining things.

I’m not hungry all the time. I don’t feel like I am starving myself. But I do feel “drained”. Does that make sense? I know my body is telling me MORE, even though my stomach is not.

So I am open to any and all suggestions as long as it doesn’t involve me not working out as hard (weight). I don’t want to do just all cardio/body attack/etc and get skinny again. I’m not racing motorcycles anymore. I wouldn’t mind having a little muscle back on me.

Specifically can anyone/someone/everyone give me some diet instruction that will suit my needs? I need to be eating what needs to be in my system to rebuild muscle, but nothing/not much more. I still have about 20lb of fat to cut.

Thanks guys

Push you larger meals back earlier in the day, and you probably need more protein. Not sure what exact time of day you are working out, but most suggest the protein shake or similar 30 minutes to an hour after workout for the best benefit. Also, what type of protein shake are you using. Protein powders are not created equally. The majority of them tend to bloat people or cause some stomach problems. Check out raw meal by garden of life. I think this is probably one of the best all around protein mixes out there. I also really like plantfusion, especially in chocolate raspberry which is the best tasting protein mix I have ever had. If you have to eat that late 10pm meal, I would switch it to all veggies (steamed/microwaved broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, whatever). For breakfast, shoot for at least 20-30 grams of protein and add some more fruit, mainly berries.

I would also do some interval/burst training. If you are still using the bike for 15-25 minutes, try one minute at max and one minute off (minimum cadence, not off the bike). Do your weights after cardio as it's been proven to burn calories longer than doing cardio last. Do some full body weight exercises, clean & jerks, squats, etc. And not sure what ab exercises you are doing, but grab an ab wheel. They are cheap and they work. Even if you have been doing situps, supermans, crunches, etc, the wheel will work stuff you thought you had been working. And it increases flexibility also. One of the best and cheapest piece of equipment you can buy (ranks right along with a pull up bar).

And don't forget to sleep. Regular schedule, probably at least 8 hours if possible. A lot of people overlook this.

good luck, sounds like you are already on the right track.

Can't help you much with the working out part but as far as the "diet" I feel that weight watchers is the best plan out there.
I have been following there plan since the first of the year and have dropped 67 pounds so far. I don't go to there meetings or anything I just use there calculator to figure point values and stay under a set amount every day. I don't go hungry. The biggest thing is portion control. I write everything I eat in a notebook with the point value.
I started at 278 the first of the year and am at 211 now. I would like to get to 200.

Push you larger meals back earlier in the day,

Because of my schedule I’m pretty stuck where I’m at.

Breakfast 8:00-9:00am

Lunch 12:00-1:00

Workout 2:00-3:00

Protein shake right after workout

Dinner 6:30-7:30pm

Second dinner (if I eat it) 10:00-11:00pm

Thoughts?

and you probably need more protein.

That’s the 64,000 question. From poking around the net I have not found a real good concrete protein number. I did find that it is uncommon for the body to absorb more than 15g of protein in one “sitting” though. That said it seems that most weight lifters eat more protein than needed in a sitting so they make sure they get their 15g.

I’m consistently getting 15g with my shake (it has I think 25-30 in it) and another 15g with dinner. My breakfast doesn’t have much protein though and sometimes I don’t eat lunch.

Any thoughts on how much protein I should be getting down a day? I suppose if I add more the best bet would be breakfast. What do you think would be better, drinking an additional shake for breakfast of having lets say 3-4 eggs and a couple of sausage links? The eggs/sausage seems like a good way to go, they have about the same calories as the shake, about 20g of protein, but they have a LOT of cholesterol (I have shockingly low cholesterol numbers though). And I am trying to cut weight, maybe the second shake would be the way to go?

And this kinda dovetails into my original post. I clearly need more “fuel”, but the right kind of fuel. Exactly the right kind. Extra fuel of the wrong kind and I will not cut as much weight. So the question is what is the right kind of fuel for re-building muscle? Obviously protein is one kind. But if I am ingesting as much as my body can absorb in a day (I’m not there yet though) what is the next kind of fuel to add too the mix?

Also, what type of protein shake are you using. Protein powders are not created equally. The majority of them tend to bloat people or cause some stomach problems. Check out raw meal by garden of life. I think this is probably one of the best all around protein mixes out there. I also really like plantfusion, especially in chocolate raspberry which is the best tasting protein mix I have ever had.
This:
Iron-tek Product Details

My wife had this stuff around (about 15lb) for some reason or another so I thought I would use it until it was gone. In the past (going back 10+yrs) I have been Muscle Milk kinda guy and was planning on switching back when this other stuff was gone. I will look into your suggestions though, thanks!

If you have to eat that late 10pm meal, I would switch it to all veggies (steamed/microwaved broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, whatever).
Copy that

For breakfast, shoot for at least 20-30 grams of protein and add some more fruit, mainly berries.
There is half the answer to my question above. I forgot this was down here.

I would also do some interval/burst training. If you are still using the bike for 15-25 minutes, try one minute at max and one minute off (minimum cadence, not off the bike).
I’ll give this a shot. I’m sure the bike has a program to do this. I have to be careful though. I’m seriously butting up against my energy limit though. I’m afraid if I add too much bike I won’t recover from my leg days (I barely am now).

Do your weights after cardio as it's been proven to burn calories longer than doing cardio last.
Yep, already doing this.

Do some full body weight exercises, clean & jerks, squats, etc.
I do REAL HEAVY squats (at least for me) on my leg days. I've never done the other "big" exercises though. How do you work them in when you are doing one body part/day without overlap and the subsequent bad recovery time? Here is what I do:

Monday- Chest/Tri’s/Abs
Tuesday- Back/Bi’s
Thursday- Shoulders/Tri’s/Abs
Friday- Legs/Bi’s

And not sure what ab exercises you are doing, but grab an ab wheel. They are cheap and they work. Even if you have been doing situps, supermans, crunches, etc, the wheel will work stuff you thought you had been working. And it increases flexibility also. One of the best and cheapest piece of equipment you can buy (ranks right along with a pull up bar).
This past week was my first week of cutting back on abs. I was doing them every day (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri) but they caught up with me and are now thoroughly over trained. This past week I only did them on Mon/Thurs. I murder my abs when I do them. I hit them with everything they can be hit with (including the wheel) in the gym. I rotate how I work them from day to day. We’ll see how cutting back on them does for recovery. Right now, even doing them only two days this week they are pretty smoked. Hopefully after the weekend they feel better.

And don't forget to sleep. Regular schedule, probably at least 8 hours if possible. A lot of people overlook this.
I've always been a 4-5hr sleeper. But I have been forcing myself to get 7-8hrs. And I agree, very important!

good luck, sounds like you are already on the right track.
Thanks for taking the time to give your input.

If you have additional thoughts on what fuel to add to my diet too that would be fantastic. Right now that is my biggest problem I think. Hell, I would work out more if I didn’t destroy myself doing it. I just don’t have the energy.

Thanks!

I'm 5'7" 170 and I'm eating 2250 calories a day and I'm still loosing 1/2 lb per week. You are feeling drained because you are eating like a 15 year old anorexic girl. Start tracking your calories with myfitnesspal and set it up to loose 1/2-1 lb per week. Do this for 3 weeks and readjust, depending on your progress.

Just make sure you are doing strength training 3-4 days a week and eating about 1 gr of protein per LBM. I would actually enter your cardio and workouts in myfitnesspal so you can compensate for the those calories burned.

Last edited:
As you go through this journey, please remember that while there are some true generalizations "refined sugar is bad for you" that are true for all, everybody is different and when you read articles or talk to trainers most of what you will hear is a sales pitch or what works/worked for someone else.

That said, I will offer the following:
If you stay consistent at a diet/exercise plan (that includes variety) for a few months and don't feel/see gains then mix it up. For example, I can tell you that for ME, limiting 15g of protein per meal/snack is silly. I go by the adage of 1g to 1.5g of protein per body weight, every day. To get there I need a protein source in all three main meals plus 4 protein shakes. I also mix the type of protein I use throughout the day (pea, whey, and casein) due to their individual benefits. For the regular meals I follow another adage - Plants, meat, seeds and nuts. Essentially make sure you have sources of protein, good carbs (vegetables) and good fat (cooking in coconut oil works if you don't want items like sunflower seeds and almonds in every meal). One more generalization for you that I know is true for me - you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet.

Again, FOR ME, I saw the most gains by dropping the body part work outs and following a very simple schedule. I exercise six days a week, three days are weights and three days are interval training classes. I will mix cardio in from time to time, but very low (5 to 10 min warm-up and 10 to 15 min cool down). As was suggested, mix in the big exercises (bench, squats, deadlifts) as a day in itself. Also work with some power cleans, rdl's, etc. Limit all your workouts to no longer then 60mins and just have fun with it.

Fitness should never be a race. While setting goals and objectives can be beneficial to some, FOR ME, consistency in diet and exercise has become a way of life. Over the last year, my body fat has dropped at least 15% and I feel so much better (energy, etc.). Good luck.

You are feeling drained because you are eating like a 15 year old anorexic girl.
Yeah, I was thinking this was my problem. I just don't want to add the "wrong" stuff to my diet to get more calories. It sounds like we have found what I am shorting myself (below in this post and the next.....protein).

Start tracking your calories with myfitnesspal and set it up to loose 1/2-1 lb per week. Do this for 3 weeks and readjust, depending on your progress.
I just signed up, I'll start using it today.

Just make sure you are ........ eating about 1 gr of protein per LBM.
Is LBM Lean Body Mass? I'm guessing I am in the 135-155lb range. At 1gr/lb I'm not even CLOSE to eating that much protein! I'm probably getting half that. We may have a good idea of what I am missing here.

Would protein be the main ingredient in re-building muscle? I'm guessing it is.

I would actually enter your cardio and workouts in myfitnesspal so you can compensate for the those calories burned.
Copy that, Thanks!

As you go through this journey, please remember that while there are some true generalizations "refined sugar is bad for you" that are true for all, everybody is different and when you read articles or talk to trainers most of what you will hear is a sales pitch or what works/worked for someone else.
From my poking around on google I would agree 100%. Lots of bad or “not right” information floating around.

If you stay consistent at a diet/exercise plan (that includes variety) for a few months and don't feel/see gains then mix it up.
On the up side I am showing HUGE gains right now. I’m very happy with my progress. My only issue is I’m topped out when it comes to “output”. I just don’t have enough energy/recovery to do anymore than I am doing. I would like to add “cross” classes 2-3 days/week. With my current diet that would be committing suicide though. But I think we have found my problem, not enough protein. Hopefully by increasing my protein intake I can recover from what I am doing better and maybe add a little more to my workout schedule.

For example, I can tell you that for ME, limiting 15g of protein per meal/snack is silly. I go by the adage of 1g to 1.5g of protein per body weight, every day. To get there I need a protein source in all three main meals plus 4 protein shakes. I also mix the type of protein I use throughout the day (pea, whey, and casein) due to their individual benefits.
Wow! That is a long way off from what I am doing. Time to step up the protein intake.

For the regular meals I follow another adage - Plants, meat, seeds and nuts. Essentially make sure you have sources of protein, good carbs (vegetables) and good fat (cooking in coconut oil works if you don't want items like sunflower seeds and almonds in every meal). One more generalization for you that I know is true for me - you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet.

As far as eating goes we are pretty much on the same page.

And I agree that you won’t exercise your way out of a good diet. Hell, diet is probably a bigger factor than exercise is. It’s a good thing I have never been a “food lover”. I eat for fuel, not for enjoyment (well, every once in a while). If there were some magic pill I could take every day that would supply what my body needed I could go without eating all together.

Again, FOR ME, I saw the most gains by dropping the body part work outs and following a very simple schedule. I exercise six days a week, three days are weights and three days are interval training classes. I will mix cardio in from time to time, but very low (5 to 10 min warm-up and 10 to 15 min cool down). As was suggested, mix in the big exercises (bench, squats, deadlifts) as a day in itself. Also work with some power cleans, rdl's, etc. Limit all your workouts to no longer then 60mins and just have fun with it.

With more energy I could do something like this. And I would like to. My goals are not to be a bodybuilder. I want to be in indestructible “sports” shape. I would like to be able to go mountain biking, ice racing, rock climbing, hiking and I am planning on getting into racing cars in the next few years, and you need to be in better shape than you would think for that. I want to be able to do all of the above without having my body hold me back.

Thanks a lot for your input.

I’m going to increase my protein intake and go from there.

I also mix the type of protein I use throughout the day (pea, whey, and casein) due to their individual benefits.

I just did some poking around on these different kinds of proteins. How are you spacing them out throughout your day? What proteins are you taking at what times, etc? Are you using three different “powders”?

Thanks!

Yeah, I was thinking this was my problem. I just don't want to add the "wrong" stuff to my diet to get more calories. It sounds like we have found what I am shorting myself (below in this post and the next.....protein).

I just signed up, I'll start using it today.

Is LBM Lean Body Mass? I'm guessing I am in the 135-155lb range. At 1gr/lb I'm not even CLOSE to eating that much protein! I'm probably getting half that. We may have a good idea of what I am missing here.

Would protein be the main ingredient in re-building muscle? I'm guessing it is.

Copy that, Thanks!

Protein is what feeds hour muscles. Carbs and fats is what gives you the energy (I'm talking simple terms here). At your weight, anything in the area of 135-200 gr of protein per day is fine. Don't be too anal about it. Just eat as much quality food as possible and avoid as much junk as you can. Also, post workout, have some carbs and protein (and creatine if you want). I generally have 1 banana, 1 scoop of protein and creatine in water.

Pretty good advice given so far...just sounds like your caloric (no way you should be under 2k calories a day working out 4 days/week, IMO) and protein intake are far below what they should be. I've never been the type of guy who enjoyed logging calories, etc. Since you're going to be eating the correct foods, it isn't that big a deal if you eat a little too much, as long as the calories you consume aren't empty. As you build more muscle, your metabolism will help you get rid of excess fat faster, although a bit later than you probably have in mind.

I played 4 years of D1 Lacrosse in college, then was a National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) certified personal trainer for 4 years after that. When I quit training, it took some time (3 or so years) before I got back into the gym. I now play poker and do some consulting on the side (sedentary lifestyle). I personally struggled with achieving your two goals, losing fat and gaining muscle, simultaneously. Those goals will be better achieved if you focus on gaining muscle first. Eventually, and it will be apparent to you when, your metabolism will reach a point where losing fat is easy. You may also notice that it becomes increasingly difficult to build muscle once you have cut fat to the point you'd like (unless you really do become a numbers and food log guru). Have you ever watched someone in a weight gain phase? Have you ever noticed how quickly they cut weight at the end of that gaining muscle?

I am playing online poker at the moment so please excuse if my post is a bit redundant or ignorant to anything already posted. Best of luck,

Adam

Answering squidd's direct question -

For breakfast, I try to stick with eggs and a breakfast meat (ham, bacon, turkey sausage) mixed with chopped bell pepper, all cooked in a skillet with coconut oil. If I don't have time for that, then I will make a smoothie containing pea protein powder with some berries, pineapple, and veggie greens powder. About 10 to 10:30 I will have a casein protein shake (just the powder and water); lunch will be typically some type of salad with grilled chicken strips, or tuna, turkey chile, etc.; about 4 to 4:30 will be another casein shake (this time powder and water, plus creatine) plus a couple handfuls of sunflower seeds; post workout shake will be whey powder (with water and creatine); some type of meat protein with dinner; about 10:00p last casein shake. Sounds like a pain but it is pretty simple, I am never hungry, and I find it easy to maintain consistency.

Haha, oh yeah, the question...

Egg whites (3 to 4), frozen blueberries, protein powder (1 to 2 scoops), and a touch of kefir...

This doesn't have the calories to be a full breakfast but is always a nice addition if breakfast doesn't seem big enough.

Last edited:
Add some coconut milk in those smoothies/shakes for some good fat that tastes good, too. The body needs good fat to operate efficiently and this is an easy way to get it (along with good nuts like almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts, etc , not peanuts). And also go for avocados for the good fats. I used to eat about 10 avocados a week because they pretty much go with anything. You can also add them to a protein shake and it will smooth out nicely. Frozen berries as mentioned above are awesome for shakes and smoothies, easy to keep and use, and cheap. Frozen strawberries, blueberries and raspberries are my favorites for smoothies and when you use frozen you really don't have to worry about ice.

Answering squidd's direct question -

For breakfast, I try to stick with eggs and a breakfast meat (ham, bacon, turkey sausage) mixed with chopped bell pepper, all cooked in a skillet with coconut oil. If I don't have time for that, then I will make a smoothie containing pea protein powder with some berries, pineapple, and veggie greens powder. About 10 to 10:30 I will have a casein protein shake (just the powder and water); lunch will be typically some type of salad with grilled chicken strips, or tuna, turkey chile, etc.; about 4 to 4:30 will be another casein shake (this time powder and water, plus creatine) plus a couple handfuls of sunflower seeds; post workout shake will be whey powder (with water and creatine); some type of meat protein with dinner; about 10:00p last casein shake. Sounds like a pain but it is pretty simple, I am never hungry, and I find it easy to maintain consistency.

Thanks for the data. I just ordered some casein and pea protein (Amozon Prime…..love it!).

I’m going to sneak up on it a little. Yesterday I did start with more shakes though (whey) and I already feel more recovered.

I would love to eat breakfast, but I have a hard time with it. I have zero appitite in the morning, I have always been that way. When I was racing I would have to force myself to eat breakfast the days I was riding. And I mean force it down. I’ve been eating a little bit of oatmeal in the mornings but I hate it. The last two mornings I made a shake and sucked them right down no problem, so that is probably the direction I will go for a while.

So for this week I’m going to try:

9:00am Pea shake with fruit
12:00pm lunch (meat/vegitables/some nuts)
2:30-3:00 work out
3:30-4:00 Whey shake with some fruit
6:30-7:30pm Dinner (meat/vegitables/some nuts)
11:00pm Casien shake
(I get up late/stay up late)

I’ll re-asses at the end of the week.

Thoughts?

I just did a “weigh in” yesterday. Over the past 2 weeks I have lost 2.5lb/wk. Maybe a little more if I am gaining .5lb of muscle/wk (I probably am). As happy as I am to see the weight loss that is a little too fast for my tastes. I was ok with a 1lb/wk to get where I want to be by summer. I highly doubt the additional protein intake (and subsequent calorie increase) is going to have any negative effects.

Thanks again for your input.

Thanks to everyone that I have not directly replied to/quoted. I'm taking all this data in and it is a big help, Thanks!

Thanks for the data. I just ordered some casein and pea protein (Amozon Prime…..love it!).

I’m going to sneak up on it a little. Yesterday I did start with more shakes though (whey) and I already feel more recovered.

I would love to eat breakfast, but I have a hard time with it. I have zero appitite in the morning, I have always been that way. When I was racing I would have to force myself to eat breakfast the days I was riding. And I mean force it down. I’ve been eating a little bit of oatmeal in the mornings but I hate it. The last two mornings I made a shake and sucked them right down no problem, so that is probably the direction I will go for a while.

So for this week I’m going to try:

9:00am Pea shake with fruit
12:00pm lunch (meat/vegitables/some nuts)
2:30-3:00 work out
3:30-4:00 Whey shake with some fruit
6:30-7:30pm Dinner (meat/vegitables/some nuts)
11:00pm Casien shake
(I get up late/stay up late)

I’ll re-asses at the end of the week.

Thoughts?

I just did a “weigh in” yesterday. Over the past 2 weeks I have lost 2.5lb/wk. Maybe a little more if I am gaining .5lb of muscle/wk (I probably am). As happy as I am to see the weight loss that is a little too fast for my tastes. I was ok with a 1lb/wk to get where I want to be by summer. I highly doubt the additional protein intake (and subsequent calorie increase) is going to have any negative effects.

Thanks again for your input.

If you aren't big on eating breakfast, then skip it. Check out the Renegade Diet, which is a combination Paleo Diet, Intermittent Fasting, and Carb Backloading. This will definitely help you with the fat loss. You basically go 14-16 hours without eating (you can have water or coffee with cream). Then for the next 4 hours eat 1-3 light meals, but keep the carbs low (salads are great choices here). Then for the last 4 hours, eat the remaining calories that you need, which is a lot. I generally have 1200-1500 calories in that 4 hour block.

If you aren't big on eating breakfast, then skip it. Check out the Renegade Diet, which is a combination Paleo Diet, Intermittent Fasting, and Carb Backloading. This will definitely help you with the fat loss. You basically go 14-16 hours without eating (you can have water or coffee with cream). Then for the next 4 hours eat 1-3 light meals, but keep the carbs low (salads are great choices here). Then for the last 4 hours, eat the remaining calories that you need, which is a lot. I generally have 1200-1500 calories in that 4 hour block.

I'll check into that. For a bit there I was almost doing the Paleo diet without planning too.

Of course in a few months when I am as lean as I want to be I'm going to have to change my diet again, LOL

Thanks for your help.

Intermittent Fasting is amazing. I will be doing this the rest of my life.

Been eating this way for almost 4 years now. Increased energy during the day, more alert, lean, and strength through the roof.

I love to eat so the 4 hour window of eating if fun. Pack in the food.

There are a few different ways of IF. I really like the Warrior diet. Have some berries/nuts though out the day here and there then have your 4 hour window.

Anymore I get up, have a couple cups of black coffee, lunch time I'll make a small protien shake with frozen blueberries, then hit the food at dinner then something else a little later. Always try to make sure I eat at least 1.5 lbs of meat during the "feast" and get some veggies.

The Renegade Diet and Warrior Diet sound like the same thing.