• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Difference between a stock and a chassis?

Re: What is the difference between a stock and a chass

A chassis usually has a separate unit that the barreled action bolts into, with the stock being a separate part that bolts to the chassis.

Stocks usually require bedding, chassis don't.

And notice I say "usually" , as there are exceptions.

Or even better, buy a Manners Stock with a mini-chassis, and you have the best of both worlds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or even better, buy a Manners Stock with a mini-chassis, and you have the best of both worlds. </div></div>

I'm using a KRG W3 as well as a A5 at the moment. Both are great. I have on order a Manners T4A w/mini-chassis which should be here around x-mas.
grin.gif

Chassis systems are nice as there is no bedding required but some prefer the feel of a more traditional stock. If you want a light weight hunting rifle a full chassis system will probably be too heavy. My KRG complete with everything except ammo is about 15lbs. Not as heavy as some rifles but it's def not light weight.

Lot's of stocks are called "chassis", but in reality they are just aluminum stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lot's of stocks are called "chassis", but in reality they are just aluminum stocks.</div></div>

So that goes to my next question. Is a stock like a B&C medalist or medalist tactical considered a chassis because it has the aluminum bedding block? If not, what is about something like an AICS that makes it conform to the rifle so well, out of the box, that bedding is typically not necessary?

technically a "chassis" is a structure that the individual components of a finished assembly are attached to, so depending on how loose your interpretation any stock could be called a chassis, but generally speaking what defines a chassis when referring to rifles is weather the system has some degree of modularity, meaning the ability to easily accept various off the shelf attachments or components that would allow it to be better configured for differing applications as well as eliminating the need for bedding the action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or even better, buy a Manners Stock with a mini-chassis, and you have the best of both worlds. </div></div>

I'm using a KRG W3 as well as a A5 at the moment. Both are great. I have on order a Manners T4A w/mini-chassis which should be here around x-mas.
grin.gif

Chassis systems are nice as there is no bedding required but some prefer the feel of a more traditional stock. If you want a light weight hunting rifle a full chassis system will probably be too heavy. My KRG complete with everything except ammo is about 15lbs. Not as heavy as some rifles but it's def not light weight. </div></div>

Wow! I was not aware the KRG's where that heavy. The stock I have is a Manners T5A with 90% carbon with mini chassis. With my 27" Scendero contour GAP, my weight is just over 13 pounds and thats with an AW 10 rnd loaded with 11 260's