• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Difference between rem Sportsman 78 and 700?

Biscuit

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Norther Cal
A kid going to the GSmith school in Lassen is not sure if he can use my Remington SPortsman 78 in class. Bolt trigger and action look exactly like 700, no knurling on bolt handle, finish is not as nice. Any reason he could not use the 78 in place of a 700?

Re: Difference between rem Sportsman 78 and 700?

Should be fine. Basically the 78s were budget 700s, with cheap stocks and plastic trigger guards

It was made from 1984 to 1988 to target the lower cost rifles. It is exactly the same as any other 700 ADL from the era. Just had a gopher wood stock and a sporter barrel. Old style rem trigger too! Smooth bolt handle like you said and very cheap bluing, since mine is quite faded. Mine did not have a plastic trigger guard, though it was in an aftermarket bleach bottle stock when I got it so who knows. At least one member on the hide that I know of did a custom build off of a 78 action. Mine wears a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 and a SPS stock. Also added a Kwik Klip BM set-up. Adjusted the trigger down to 3.5 pounds. Makes for a sweet deer slayer. Looks just like an SPS now.

Picture was taken with the Bushnell I got it with, which broke the first time to the range.
3679091044_05ded9738e_z.jpg

I liked the price on the rifle.

Any reason the action and bolt would not be as good as a 700 for a build?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any reason the action and bolt would not be as good as a 700 for a build? </div></div>

Nope !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any reason the action and bolt would not be as good as a 700 for a build? </div></div>

No. Resale could be slightly lower due to it not being a "True" 700, but that would be it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m54dmb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">overall a good solid rifle </div></div>

Agreed.

I wonder why guys aren't buying more of them for builds then. Ive seen the guns in good shape in the $200 range. Can't really buy a 700 complete action for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder why guys aren't buying more of them for builds then. Ive seen the guns in good shape in the $200 range. Can't really buy a 700 complete action for that. </div></div>

I did !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder why guys aren't buying more of them for builds then. Ive seen the guns in good shape in the $200 range. Can't really buy a 700 complete action for that. </div></div>

I did ! </div></div>

What did you do? Pics?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder why guys aren't buying more of them for builds then. Ive seen the guns in good shape in the $200 range. Can't really buy a 700 complete action for that. </div></div>

I did ! </div></div>

What did you do? Pics? </div></div>

I put together a low budget switch barrel in 30BR and 260 on my Rem 78.
Douglas 26" #7 on both.
Trued up the face and a light bolt lapping on the action.
Bedded it into a HS precision M24 stock.
I mainly keep the 260 brl on it after tiring on the 30BR project [PITA forming/trimming/neck turning brass !!]

Turned into a fine shooter.
No pics on it though...pretty plain!

wes in AZ

Are there any custom stocks out for the model 78 I have one it was a fine deer gun back in the day just thinking of playing with it.

Any stock that fits the 700 will fit the 78. You can go from ADL to BDL if you like.

Was 21,
so what happened to the 30 BR barrel and whatnot?

I'm building a Win 670 now. I've used 78’s in the past and wouldn't hesitate to use another. Mr Drift is right, though, resale is sometimes affected.