• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Difference between Ruger American Predator and Ranch?

Maverick3009

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Indiana
Does anyone know if there's any differences in the barrels or actions between the Ruger American Predator and Ranch? I'm looking into possibly picking one up in .350 Legend for deer hunting (stupid straight wall cartridge state) and seen that Ruger offers the caliber in both platforms but seems like the Predator in .350 is some sort of dealer exclusive and hard to find, might've been a limited run or something? Wasn't sure if I'd be getting the same results out of going with the Ranch rifle. Just looking to stay with a shorter 16" barrel as my hunting will likely be <150yrds not that I'm opposed to going with the next barrel length up which is a 20" if the Predator has advantages to the platform.

Not worried about the stock on either one, will likely end up dropping the barreled action into a ICD chassis.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
AFAIK, there is no significant difference between the two rifles you're asking about beyond the obvious (colors, factory muzzle brake, etc...). Barrel length and twist rates are the same, as are actions/triggers. Having a RAR myself, I can recommend the Timney trigger for them as a nice upgrade.

My advice is to grab whichever one tickles your pickle in terms of color(s) and/or availability and go from there without worry.

AFAIK, there is no significant difference between the two rifles you're asking about beyond the obvious (colors, factory muzzle brake, etc...). Barrel length and twist rates are the same, as are actions/triggers. Having a RAR myself, I can recommend the Timney trigger for them as a nice upgrade.

The Color of the stock is a givin. but the difference is the barrel lengths. one is 22" and the other is 16".

Last edited:
Reactions: spife7980
Its the Color of the stock is a givin. but the difference is the barrel lengths. one is 22" and the other is 16."
Ruger is showing a version of the RAP with the same length barrel as the RAR.

1.jpg

dang! way to go Ruger, now I will be confused forever..... well it used to just be the barrel length.

After combing through Rugers website a little more all I can find is that the Predators have a "Heavier tapered, threaded barrel" to the Ranchs "compact, threaded barrel". Not sure if that will affect accuracy all that much but surely it may decrease the already minimal muzzle rise.

After combing through Rugers website a little more all I can find is that the Predators have a "Heavier tapered, threaded barrel" to the Ranchs "compact, threaded barrel". Not sure if that will affect accuracy all that much but surely it may decrease the already minimal muzzle rise.

its going to effect the bullet velocities.

im lost so ill just shot my mouth.

😂 😂 😂

The only difference I can see per Ruger's website between the Ranch and Predator (aside from color/finish and muzzle brake) is the Predator says it has a "heavier tapered, threaded barrel" and the Ranch says it has a "compact, threaded barrel". Both are .350 legend and both are 16" barrels.