• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Difference between SF SOCOM civilian and military models

Siso

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2002
WI
So I picked up my 3 prong SF flash hider yesterday, and I asked what is the difference between the 3 prong and the 4 prong that wasn’t allowed for civilians. I was told that the 4 prong fit the military SOCOM suppressors and the 3 prong was for the civilian. I was also told that the military one had better suppression, less blow back and less of a heat signature. He said that he shot both and he could tell the difference between the two. Also that the government bought the rights to the suppressors, so that is why the civilians model is not as good. I knew the flash hiders were different but I didn’t know the suppressors were different as well? Is this really true?

Who ever told you that is uneducated. I do know there was a 3 prong and 4 prong made but the 3 prong actually replaced the 4 prong if I'm not mistaken. As far as the suppressor itself, a Socom is a Socom is a Socom.

The only differences in the Socom's is if it's an MG Socom. They have a solid blast baffle and are a little thicker but they are available for civilian purchase.

Last edited:
Here's what a SF rep told me:

The four prong flash suppressor was developed first. That's what the military bought with the 5.56MM SOCOM suppressors.

SF was also working on a 3 prong version, which has turned out to be a better flash suppressor than the four prong. But, the ink was already dry on the SOCOM contract, by that point.

Four prong version:

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG