• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Difference in Berger VLD bullets??

pinzmann

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2005
yucca valley, ca
Is there any difference in the accuracy potential between VLD target and VLD hunting bullets? All specs look the same their website just says that the hunting bullets have a thinner jacket. I'll be using these just for target shooting. Had a partial box of the target ones and they shot great and of course can't find any more.

In theory, bullet with a thicker jacket will be tougher to damage, potentially allowing for more aggressive cycling without worrying about damaging the jacket. Thicker jacket might also resist barrel heat better and allow more aggressive twist w/o the bullet failing. In reality, these are such small concerns in real world that I doubt they will have an observable impact on accuracy. Add it all up and I would buy target bullets for targets when both hunting and target bullets are available, but believe the hunting bullets are just fine for targets if you can't find target bullets.

I have been perplexed on how Berger makes a 7mm 180 Gr Match Grade VLD Hunting & & a 180 Gr Match VLD target with the exact same BC & bullet length. Are these truly the same bullet being marketed two different ways or is there something fundamentally different about them?

I have been perplexed on how Berger makes a 7mm 180 Gr Match Grade VLD Hunting & & a 180 Gr Match VLD target with the exact same BC & bullet length. Are these truly the same bullet being marketed two different ways or is there something fundamentally different about them?

Thickness of jacket, I believe...target jackets are thicker.

If I'm wrong, I'm certain I'll be corrected...

When I started compiling components for my 7 WSM, I could only find the 180gr hunting bullets. It is a GAP and has turned in several groups smaller than .2 moa with the hunting bullets and I have yet to try the target 180gr bullets.

Point being: if accuracy is your concern; don't be concerned.

Thickness of jacket, I believe...target jackets are thicker.

If I'm wrong, I'm certain I'll be corrected...

Target jackets are thicker. TBass's point was that two different metals of different densities can not have the same dimensions and weigh the same amount.

To caveat, I do not know if the dimensions of the hunting versus target projectiles are identical.

Last edited:
McCrazy... you hit the nail on the head. I am still having an impossible time wrapping my head around how their specs can be the exact same (ie. same weight, length & BC) and there be a fundamental difference in functionality of the two bullets (one for punching paper and one for hunting). If the accuracy and the dope is the exact same between the two, it would seem counter productive to make both (unless it is for marketing purposes only).

I guess in the end, the fact that I cannot wrap my brain around this is the reason why I am not practicing in the field of physics.

FWIW the 130 VLD Hunting bullets shot a lot better than the VLD Target bullets out of my 6.5X47 Lapua loaded identically, I have no idea why & now I can't find any hunting bullets only target....

The bullet shape and weight is the same. Thus the same length and BC. The jacket on the target bullet is a little thicker to tolerate the heat imposed by bench rest guys firing long strings in hot weather during competition. The hunting bullets have the originally designed thin jackets that have been tested and proven to provide dramatic expansion on game animals. Berger doesn't test the targets bullets expansion since they are designed for target, thus the two separate designations.

FWIW,

I shot this OCW test a couple of days ago with the 130g target vld's through a 6.5CM. As you can see, the accuracy potential for them is there.

Kevin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 29
FWIW,

I shot this OCW test a couple of days ago with the 130g target vld's through a 6.5CM. As you can see, the accuracy potential for them is there.

Kevin

Mind sharing powder/COAL etc for this ? Any issues with jump or jamming into lands ? Have some on order and would love some good input on starting load development. TIA !

Mind sharing powder/COAL etc for this ? Any issues with jump or jamming into lands ? Have some on order and would love some good input on starting load development. TIA !
Might be tough to get a reply from that person since they haven’t been here since 2013.