• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

difference in FC 12 and FC .308 WIN headstamp brass

Cvarney

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
Williamson WV
I'm just getting into reloading. I began saving brass about a year ago and I have a few difference brands. Notably I have 600ish federal brass. Some from FGMM and the other from SW Ammo with the headstamps FC .308 win and FC 12 respectavely (as far as I can tell). I plan on filling them with water and weighing a sample of cases tomorrow between the two lots. Was going to this evening but I couldn't find a dropper at my shop and I was just making a mess trying to fill them from a water bottle. Anyone have an info on the capacity differences I can expect or should they be interchangable? And what would you guys consider a reliable sample size? My guess was 5-10 from each lot but I have no issue doing more. Like I said I'm as green as they get with reloading (press hasn't been delievered yet).

From what I've read federal shouldn't be my first choice in brass since the primer pockets gets loose sooner but since I have so much I figure I might as well load it up. I have no local sources within an hour drive to get supplies. My father lives in Ohio and I had him pick me up some primers the other week and I asked him to grab me some Winchester brass next time he's around that shop. So I imagine that'l be my "permanant" load.

Thanks guys.
C

IMHO, you should just get rid of them for scrap. I don't mean no disrespect but Federal cases are crap. I did the same as you, I save all my FGMM brass (1000) thinking
I would get into reloading someday. I tried handloading them and could only get 2 firings before the primer pockets could not hold a primer. I scraped them all.
Do yourself a favor, buy new Winchester cases or Lapua cases. Im on probably 7 to 8 firings on Lapua's still going strong.

None taken dude. I first thought to scrap them. I made a trip to cabela's today, 80ish miles, to pick up a few things and look for powder and had a bag of Win brass in my cart till I ignorantly put it back on the shelf lol. I do think I'm at least going to load them and put them back for the next shortage. Or at least work with them to give me a little experience trying to get my brass right.

Thanks for the offer but I can get pops to grab me some. He comes here every week or two so it's not a huge deal having him grab stuff for me.

Thats a great idea of loading those cases for the first round and so you can get a better feel of what is needed to become a good handloader.
Good luck and have a blast! Its so satisfying to produce safe reliable and accurate ammunition.

FC 12 is not same as FC 308 Win, FC 12 will have much harder web/case head. FC 12 is pretty much same same as LC LR from my measurements but most of the FC XX (XX being year) has crimped primer whereas the earlier LC LR did not have crimped primer. Some of the more recent LC LR ammo has crimped primers. LC LR brass is dang fine stuff, at least the '99, '01, '02, '03 and '05 LC LR brass I've used. FC XX brass with crimp removed should work well and last for plenty of loadings.

Case capacity is different between FC 308 Win and FC XX also.

FC 308 brass is okay if not pushing loads too hard, duplicating 168s at factory FGMM velocity of 2650ish for example. Pushing 175 / 178 at same or higher velocity you'll probably be losing pockets fairly quickly.

Welcome to reloading and best wishes on your journey down the precision rifle ammo rabbit hole.

Reactions: SterlingCross
Just separate the cases that are from the GMM (FC 308 win) and the "FC 12" cases. Recent GMM (within the last couple of years) cases will reload fine. I've 7-9 loadings on some so far in my bolt guns. My recent GMM cases are very close in weight, they weigh between 182-184 grains. They reload well. You can weigh the "FC 12" cases and see what they weigh out to. No sense in scrapping them, use them and then scrap them. Some of the older GMM cases (10 years or older) had primer pockets that would give out sooner, but the newer stuff isn't as bad. Federal are some of the heaviest cases and cannot be loaded with the same near maximum powder charges that you can in Winchester (lighter) cases. Usually it's only a 1-3 grain less powder difference. Just don't hot rod the brass.

First loads I would seperate & reload them if it were me.
No need in messing up high dollar brass when learning IMO...

Just separate the cases that are from the GMM (FC 308 win) and the "FC 12" cases. Recent GMM (within the last couple of years) cases will reload fine. I've 7-9 loadings on some so far in my bolt guns. My recent GMM cases are very close in weight, they weigh between 182-184 grains. They reload well. You can weigh the "FC 12" cases and see what they weigh out to. No sense in scrapping them, use them and then scrap them. Some of the older GMM cases (10 years or older) had primer pockets that would give out sooner, but the newer stuff isn't as bad. Federal are some of the heaviest cases and cannot be loaded with the same near maximum powder charges that you can in Winchester (lighter) cases. Usually it's only a 1-3 grain less powder difference. Just don't hot rod the brass.

This ^^^ is solid info.

Don't scrap the Federal Brass. It may not be the best but it does work just fine.
ederal
I loaded a lot of great ammo with it before I found Lapua, which is better, but I still use my Federal stuff for field ammo

If you want to sell the Federal brass for cheap let me know, I use it for sub sonics. Its great brass for that. Ive relegated all of my Federal to subsonic work. Even with fairly loose primer pockets it works great.

Federal brass isnt as bad as its reputation leads it to be. FGMM is one of the most consistant factory match ammo out there, with federal brass.

You might consider annealing it, there was a guy on here doing it for cheep mail order.

One thing, when you first start pull out 100 cases and do your magic. Work up a load, shoot, see how things go. Find out for yourself if the Fed brass will fit your needs. Its been my expirence that FC will work fine in bolt guns for up to 5 or so loading if your careful. If your loading at max or really working the brass bumping the shoulder back to far, then its not going to last.

The real question here is what do you have to loose ?

Last edited:
This is exactly why I was inquiring about them. Totally plan on loading them up cause I already have them.

GO for it. I was in your same shoes and I have learned a great deal from reloading my 700+ pieces of FC cases and have produced some damn good ammo with them. I am about to start my second reloading on them after I have annealed them and they seem to be holding up great so far, no loose primer pockets so far and I ran 178g BTHP's at 2720fps out of 90% of them.

FC 12 is not same as FC 308 Win, FC 12 will have much harder web/case head. FC 12 is pretty much same same as LC LR from my measurements but most of the FC XX (XX being year) has crimped primer whereas the earlier LC LR did not have crimped primer. Some of the more recent LC LR ammo has crimped primers. LC LR brass is dang fine stuff, at least the '99, '01, '02, '03 and '05 LC LR brass I've used. FC XX brass with crimp removed should work well and last for plenty of loadings.

Case capacity is different between FC 308 Win and FC XX also.

What is the difference in capacity? Does the FC12 hold more water?