• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Differences in 7.62 lowers?

platapus

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2011
Wishing I was back in MT
Forgive my ignorance please. I understand the diference with the proprietary AR10 of Armalite. But, can someone please direct me to a thread or info page that will define the diference in all the diferent 7.62 company lowers. I have a Mega Maten and was thinking that I could order a GAP upper and utilize the Maten lower. Talking with GAP, it appears that they and POF are alike only to themselves.

So, here is what I have gathered on my own and would like to know for sure and please correct where I am in the wrong.

Mega, DPMS work together
GAP, POF work togeher
Armalite only
REPR only
What about Larue and whoever else I'm forgeting.

Thanks for the help. Just when I thought I had the AR15 mostly figured out I go ahead and jump into the 7.62 thinking they were so closely related... Ha

Re: Differences in 7.62 lowers?

DPMS and Mega are a no go if I remember correctly. I bought my CMMG lower and there was 1 stripped upper left, a mega, in the store. It would not fit.

One down several to go... I am sure that DPMS mags will work in the Mega lower. This should be a sticky to educate bone heads like me.

I have a cmmg complete rifle. Talking to a tech there, they said that there are similarities with dpms, but wouldn't give me a list of compatible parts. I do know that a dpms patterned forend fits though. The trigger group from a standard ar fits too. Lastly, they use dpms sr25 mags. I have a Troy manufactured forend and it came with a new barrel nut, it fit fine too.

Best to my knowledge only Mega uppers work with Mega lowers.

I am pretty sure that DPMS upper will fit a POF lower.

There. You have exhausted my knowledge.

Thank guys. I am learning that more and more companies are proprietary and make the slightest change here and there so their components are incompatible with another. It sure would be nice to know what part goes with another companies part to avoid a very costly mistake. Especially with all the gouging and extremely inflated prices as of lately.

KAC, LMT, LaRue, and Mega are all angled cut and I believe they will all work. There was a bug MATEN thread on arf, and someone used a mega lower on a LaRue OBR upper and it functioned fine. All 4 of those brands are angle cut.

CMMG, DPMS, and I know of one more but the name escapes me all use the round cut and I believe will work together.

Hogan and POF will work

LWRC and RR are not cross compatible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 33shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KAC, LMT, LaRue, and Mega are all angled cut and I believe they will all work. There was a bug MATEN thread on arf, and someone used a mega lower on a LaRue OBR upper and it functioned fine. All 4 of those brands are angle cut. </div></div>

Just to forewarn, until you get the upper onto your lower, there's no common spec or guarantee when mixing and matching. I've got an early Larue OBR and a Knights ECC, and the uppers/lowers are not cross compatible. The rear takedown holes are off by literally a fraction of a millimeter, but enough that the pins can't push through.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: squinty-andy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 33shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KAC, LMT, LaRue, and Mega are all angled cut and I believe they will all work. There was a bug MATEN thread on arf, and someone used a mega lower on a LaRue OBR upper and it functioned fine. All 4 of those brands are angle cut. </div></div>

Just to forewarn, until you get the upper onto your lower, there's no common spec or guarantee when mixing and matching. I've got an early Larue OBR and a Knights ECC, and the uppers/lowers are not cross compatible. The rear takedown holes are off by literally a fraction of a millimeter, but enough that the pins can't push through. </div></div>

This is true.

I remember reading somewhere about how the big 4 ended up close in spec. I know KAC had the military M110 contract and that KAC and LMT shared some data. And if I remember right the OBR was made so they could swap the uppers with current military lowers. (I cannot remember what link I read that at, please correct me if I'm wrong) so I believe that current KAC, LMT and LaRue guns are all very close and may work. I'm pretty sure the Mega will work, and will verify this in a few days.