• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Differences in Berger bullets?

thefitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Can someone please explain the differences in these Berger bullets? Particular construction/composition. Thanks

.308 175 grain

MATCH TARGET VLD
MATCH HUNTING VLD
MATCH TARGET BT LONG RANGE

Re: Differences in Berger bullets?

I asked Berger the same thing a few weeks back. Here is what they said:

"The VLD ogive is what makes our bullet a good hunting bullet. Our target VLD bullet has a thicker jacket to with stand the abuse they are exposed to by the long range match shooters.The target VLD bullets should not be used as hunting bullets as they can pencil through the animal resulting in a wounded animal you might not find." Walt Berger, Technical Advisor

Basically, the hunting bullets have a thinner jacket to so it breaks apart and causes damage. The target bullets have a thicker jacket and would not break up after impact, so unless you bullet placement is perfect and in the brain, it'd be better to use a hunting bullet for hunting.

I don't have an answer for the BT Long Range because I never asked.

Hope this helps.

cool.gif

Re: Differences in Berger bullets?

The BT Long range bullets are not VLD's, so the ogive (Tangent)is not as aggressive. The LR BT Bergers tend to have long tangent ogives on them, and to use them well you should really have a good understanding of COAL as you should with VLD's.

Should be easier to load.

The difference between the two types of VLD's (Secant ogive)is basically jacket thickness.