• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Different loads for different temperatures

Triman2008

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2009
N42.50.65 W85.37.78
How many of you guys load different powders/grains for different temps? I've noticed a difference in my load that I have for my rifle when it's cold or warm out.

Re: Different loads for different temperatures

Triman that is probably the powder reaction to the difference in temperature. Some are more sensitive to temp. change than others. I try to use a stable powder to minimize this effect.

Well what Maganum powders are good for my types of applications? I use RL-22....I've thought about H1000 but don't really feel like going through all the load development. Any suggestions?

H1000, H4350, Retumbo are the heavy hitters...H4831 and H4831SC too.

I'm a fan of the Hodgdon extreme powders. I have enough to worry about without having to consider varying trajectories and loads based on temps. My suggestion is pick one or two of the above mentioned powders and develop a new load.

Varget (another hodgdon extreme) for 308 has essentially zero change in MV and therefore trajectory from 30°F to 90°F....its nice!

You might look into Alliant's Power Pro 4000 powder. They have (sparse) online loading data to give you an idea if it will work in your application. Alliant has been good at providing unpublished load data when I have asked them, FYI.

I understand it is a newer formulation of ball powder that has less temp. sensitivity (but not as quite as good as Extreme powders) and gives improved load density.

Here is a link to a thread over its faster burning sibling, Power Pro 2000

I did this season in AZ. In my TRG, I dropped to 44.0 gr Varget when shooting in lovely 105-110F. Loading 45.0 gr now that it's cool.

Temperature extremes can be bad news for handloads, expecially hotter ones.

This is but one of several reasons why I have ceased working with hotter handloads. I'd rather only have to worry about accuracy issues than to also have to be concerned about blowing primers, which I have experienced on far too many occasions when the temps hit 90 and better. When you look at the pros and cons long enough, hot loads just don't buy you enough benefits to be worth any additional concerns.

My shooting season ends when I can't shoot without gloves. My hands are already pretty sensitive to cold. One morning last Saturday in the deer stand, wearing pretty decent hunting glovers, cost me about 4 days of significant pain in my hands on much of the following days.

If I were to alter loads for significant cold, I'd consider a magnum primer, simply to ensure more positive ignition under the more difficult conditions. Powder charges..., I'd leave them alone and simply learn how the load's perfomance changes.

Temperature tailered loads don't make as much sense to me as sticking with one load and simply learning how one's performance changes with conditions. In my book, it's the shooter who needs to adjust, and not the equipment. Anything else just introduces pointless complexity.

I, too, am a firmly committed fan of Hodgdon Extreme powders' temperature insensitivity advantages. I bought into similar Ramshot claims; but even now, I'm not sure whether they were borne out or not. I stopped using them when my supplier went belly-up.

Greg

One of the reasons I prefer Varget over some of the other powders.

Variations due to temp can be essentially negated by doing a proper OCW/OBT work up.

Cheers,

Doc

I'm fortunate enough to live where the extremes are not that bad. I shoot year round and the temp is rarely below 35 or above 70.

In the few days that have exceeded either extreme I've noted no variations in speed with my Varget loads.

I used 4831 in my 7mag and didn't see huge variations in the temps. I use varget for the same reason in the 308.

I'm working up a load for my 300wm with 190 bergers. I am planning to try h1000 and h4831sc. Would one of these powders be less temp sensitive or are they about the same? Not trying to hijack, just figured while the subject was open....