• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Different range distance

lethalinjectiontechnician

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2013
Australia
My apologies if this is posted elsewhere ans feel free to delete.

(Obviously cal will vary this long range for a 22 wont be the same for 300 win)

We have all heard the terms
•Short range
•Mid range
•Long range
•Extreme Long range

Had a good look about and cant seem to find any distance measurements for these ranges? is there a generic mesurement for what each distance is?
Thanks

from some things i read, up to 600 yards is "mid range" and long range is further than that and ELR is beyond 1000.
i could be wrong, just what i have seen when looking for opportunities to shoot.

Reactions: 6.5SH
I've shoot across the coarse on a 300 yard range before with reduced targets instead of 600 yards so I would even say the following:
100-300 short
301-799 mid
800-1200 long
1201+ extreme
Just my $.02 though.

Reactions: theLBC
I've shoot across the coarse on a 300 yard range before with reduced targets instead of 600 yards so I would even say the following:
i like this idea!
i am going to consider everything inside 1 moa as a pie tin hit at 1000 yards on a very still day. :p

Funny about ELR range. There's been quite a few youtube discussions about what constitutes ELR distance and concensus seems to be, it depends. I been thinking about this myself too and getting a generic distance is hard. For things like rimfire, ELR could be 300 yards, but not for any center fire.

So I was thinking some definitions like these:
ELR starts when a bullet has flown in subsonic for X seconds, x might be 1, 2 or 3.

Another might be the distance where a particular bullet will have move by X MOA in a 10mph wind. Again, here X might be 5, or 10, or 15 etc.

If we apply the first standard, with X=2, then 22lr ELR starts around 500 yards give or take depending on the bullet and muzzle velocity. Applying that to most 223, that's possibly 1000? What do folks think of this definition and what would be good X? What would be typical distance for popular cartridges with this definition?

What would be distances of various cartridge using the second definition?

Funny about ELR range. There's been quite a few youtube discussions about what constitutes ELR distance and concensus seems to be, it depends. I been thinking about this myself too and getting a generic distance is hard. For things like rimfire, ELR could be 300 yards, but not for any center fire.

ELR starts when a bullet has flown in subsonic for X seconds, x might be 1, 2 or 3.

Another might be the distance where a particular bullet will have move by X MOA in a 10mph wind. Again, here X might be 5, or 10, or 15 etc.

If we apply the first standard, with X=2, then 22lr ELR starts around 500 yards give or take depending on the bullet and muzzle velocity. Applying that to most 223, that's possibly 1000? What do folks think of this definition and what would be good X? What would be typical distance for popular cartridges with this definition?

i'd say this has some merit if you were starting from scratch...
but it is simple enough for me to use the scales we have (that are sort of built around a .30 cal standard back in the day?)
.223 is a mid range capable weapon, not a long range weapon on a .223 scale.
jmo.

Long range begins at 3 mils of elevation, ELR begins at 10 mils of elevation.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: lash and theLBC

I think the bullet reaching subsonic is at least a known constant working out the X in the equation wouldnt be an easy task but the idea has merit and is potentially the starting point of a new formula

I think the bullet reaching subsonic is at least a known constant working out the X in the equation wouldnt be an easy task but the idea has merit and is potentially the starting point of a new formula
But as you also stated there doesnt seem to be a generic distance
Obviously things like cals grains hot loads proji type environmental conditions and distance from sea level time of day would create many variables but youd think with all the info and tech we have nowadays there be a generic for 20 cal 30 cal broad range or broken down further into cals in and have an average or in reference to BMGhunters suggestion but from another view point what about the time it takes to reach subsonic is divided into 4 time of flight frames imposed over the top of a generic known ballistics chart by working on the constant tracjectory and velocity and overlaying the tof would that create generic distances for that particular round and if enough data was collected across different cals and projis could a generic distance be worked out from the averages of the data collected.

Going off your math would it be fair to say short range is zero
and mid range begins at 1 mils of elevation?
I would say that short range is the same as your maximum point blank range. Mid-range is between MPBR and 3 mils.

Again, Just my opinion.