• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Different sets of dies for different rifles?

signal5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
tx
Should I use different sets of dies for 2 different rifles in the same caliber? I have a rem 700 in 308 and a dpms lr308. My dies are set for my rem 700 and I would most likely have to adjust the resizing die to fit the lr308. Is it worth it to get another set or should I adjust an use them for both rifles?

I'd get another set if you have your present dies adjusted to perfection.

Agreed, for the relatively small investment, you can have a set setup for each gun which will save you time avoiding the putzy work of getting the dies dialed in when going between your gas gun and bolt gun. I just went through the same exercise for my AR and a new .223 bolt gun..... figuring I'd have to tweak each time I switched between the two. Figured piss on it, just have a set dialed in for each gun. Now the only real adjustments I'll have to make is on my seater die if I change or experiment with different bullets.

FWIW I marked the die box and dies for my AR with a red sharpie marker, and also the dummy brass for that gun, so I can tell at a glance what set is for what gun.

Adjusting dies is not that difficult, but. If you want to do it, there is no harm in dedicating a set of dies for each rifle, especially a gas gun and a bolt action; they ARE different animals, sorta.

You might want to consider separate scales, and a different press, in another room. No, just being silly, having a little fun with the question. Sorry. BB

I would use same die. It only takes a minute or so to adjust the sizing die for amount of shoulder bump. If you are a precision shooter, you might find benefit in separate dies DEPENDING on your press set up. If you use interchangeable tool heads or turrets that the dies can be locked in. I have never had luck holding setting if I had to screw a die out and screw another in myself and hold the setting on shoulder setback exactly to the thousandth.

If your only concern is shoulder bump and are using a full-length sizing die, you could consider buying a set of Redding competition shell holders that allow you to adjust the shoulder bump without touching the die?

But that could cost as much as another die depending on the brand of die?

Buy a neck sizing die or a Lee Collet die for your Rem 700 and your FL sizing die for your semi auto.

I have three .308 fl size dies, you guessed it, they are set up for three different rifles.
I also have the Redding shell holder set, sometimes different breeds of brass need different bump.

It didn't start out that way, but I wanted to try different dies over the years and it wound up that way.
As it turned out, it simplified things a bit. I do all of my seating with a Forster micrometer die.

Different rifle, different dies. Semi; full length size, seat to mag length. Bolt; neck size, precission seat depth. Thousand dollar plus rifles, same for scopes, optimum bullet for bore and barrel, what is a $60 dollar die set?

If I have 2 rifles of the same cartridge, I have separate sizing dies for each. I run Redding comp seaters and having one of those for each rifle would be slightly over the top?

If the rifles were chambered with the same reamer and the set to the same headspace then one set of dies will do both.

Otherwise its a question for your wallet. if you can afford 2 sets it certainly a lot easier.

I had and used one set of dies for multiple .308 rifles in the past. I sized by bumping the shoulder of one back 0.001 and the other sized 0.002 on the same setting. Lucky yes, but you can test yours and see how they work.

Jeffvn

I guess I don't see the big deal. It takes me maybe 3 minutes to adjust a die, and at worst I get a case or two that's undersized by a couple thous. If you mark the dies at the right setting, they come out pretty darn close.

When I set up my T7 I bought the Redding die sets that have a FL, a neck sizer and a seating die. Forget the name on the set and added a competition seater. For setting up my 650 I was going to buy a second set of FL sizers but found Redding two die sets (FL and seating) for $40 a set. Any how for my rifles I full size semi auto and neck size bolt. I write down the setting for the competition seating die and bullet combination and use the sweater for both rifles. The 650 is going to be semi auto only.