• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

difficulty choosing 1st rifle

pnaples92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
NC
I am looking to buy my first gun but i have shot guns before although they have been mainly shotguns and 22s but never owned one. I am having problems deciding on the gun and caliber. I have gotten the list down to just a few guns, the first is a Weatherby Vanguard, a Remington 700, a Tikka T-3, or a Browning A-bolt (this one is used but in good condition i think it was around 400-500). I have heard good things on all these guns but on what i have been reading they all have their flaws as well. The main problem i have had on deciding what gun to get is that there are not stores that i have found that carry all of these guns.

The next question is what caliber i should get. I don't plan on shooting all too much. I have been thinking about either a 7mm,a .308, a 30-06, or a .300 win mag. These may be a little excessive for a gun that wont be shot much but i like these rounds for what they can do distance wise. I just need some help on what one of these based on price and performance is best as i am on a budget. If any one has any other suggestions on a caliber please let me know. Also any suggestions on a good scope and scope rings for under about 300. I have been looking at a nikon. I have very little knowledge on rifle scopes as I have never used them.

Any help on this would be great as i have never shot any of the guns or calibers that i have listed. I have seen and handled both the A-bolt and Remington 700 but not the Tikka or the Weatherby as i can not find a store that sells them in my area. Also if any one can think of a better gun for the same price range as the guns listed above please let me know the name of it and give a little info on that gun.

Thanks

if anything is wrong with the post please let me know and i will fix it.

Re: difficulty choosing 1st rifle

I understand your quandary. I spent months lurking on forums trying to decide the exact same thing as you are now.

Based on all that lurking I would recommend starting with the .22lr. It is an inexpensive and enjoyable way to get into shooting. It will allow you to economically begin working on your fundamentals and will allow you to put 1000's of rounds down range without destroying your wallet.

As for .22lr rifles I recommend either a CZ 452/455, or a Savage Mark II. As for a scope you can get Weaver mounts and a nice Mueller Rimfire scope for under $300.

If you think you really want the big gun to start with then I would get a Rem, Savage, or Tika in .308.

BK

tikka T3 308
Accurate,reasonable price,not alot of recoil,removeable mag,
308 ammo is easy to access almost anywhere,
good luck

Well I don't belive you listed a purpose for the rifle in question. Do you want to strickly punch paper whenever you feel like it? Do you want to be capable of hunting game with it? Do you want to learn how to be a better marksman with it?

One of the many beauties of the firearms world is that there is a gun for every purpose and many that fufill several purposes all very nicely. Now that being said, I would suggest a 22LR if you intend to punch paper at short range, maybe do a little rabbit hunting, and shoot extremely cheap compared to a centerfire. Plus the rifles themselves tend to be a bit less expensive than their "big brothers" and this leads to more ammo, which at the ratio of cent per round you're looking at a lot more trigger time. But as you've stated, it won't get shot too often. That may change as this is a very addicting sport, especially when you have one of your own to play with.

If you're set on a centerfire for whatever your reasoning may be then the 700 in 308 Winchester is the most popular rout to go. The biggest thing that leads shooters towards the 700 series is that there is an endless plethora of products available for them. It's quite literally the small block chevy of the firearms world.

Keep in mind that there are several variables that make up the information you need to effectivly choose your first rifle. Do yourself a favor, and please just don't buy a magnum. It will destroy your shoulder and tear open your wallet, and it may even make you shy away from this great sport. Buy a 30-06 and you might have the same problem. There are many great choices but the best is going to be the 308. The ammo is just as plentiful as 30-06 but recoils less and will still kill any animal in North America at appropriate conditions and ranges.

Reloading will make shooting even cheaper for you. The initial purchase may shock you but it will quickly pay for itself. I think we spent an initial 250 dollars on equipment and within a month it had payed for itself three times over because we used to go shooting so darn much and would bring tons of ammo with us compared to before. This is just another option to consider if you like shooting alot. Plus it's a great past time, and a great learning experience.

So I guess all in all my summed up advice is:

1)Buy a 22LR

OR

2)Buy a 700 in 308

Hope this helps and good luck,
-Dylan

P.S. sorry about spelling errors and grammar, I don't feel like editing today...

What do you plan to do with said rifle and be specific. Base on what I read and not knowing what you plan to do with the rifle you can filp a coin and be set.

SPS Tactical in .223 or .308 would be my vote.

Sps Tactical in 223, Bushnell 4200 scope, IMR 8208 powder, 69mk

The only thing I really plan on doing at the moment is target shooting because I have not got my hunting license yet. Any suggestions for a scope that could be used mainly for target but hunting later down the road? Also how does the Tikka T-3 compare with the 700

+1 for either a 22lr till the OP figures out exactly what they want to do

Otherwise, the failsafe 700 SPS in 308.

Bushnells have been on closeout recently and are good values.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I don't belive you listed a purpose for the rifle in question. Do you want to strickly punch paper whenever you feel like it? Do you want to be capable of hunting game with it? Do you want to learn how to be a better marksman with it?

One of the many beauties of the firearms world is that there is a gun for every purpose and many that fufill several purposes all very nicely. Now that being said, I would suggest a 22LR if you intend to punch paper at short range, maybe do a little rabbit hunting, and shoot extremely cheap compared to a centerfire. Plus the rifles themselves tend to be a bit less expensive than their "big brothers" and this leads to more ammo, which at the ratio of cent per round you're looking at a lot more trigger time. But as you've stated, it won't get shot too often. That may change as this is a very addicting sport, especially when you have one of your own to play with.

If you're set on a centerfire for whatever your reasoning may be then the 700 in 308 Winchester is the most popular rout to go. The biggest thing that leads shooters towards the 700 series is that there is an endless plethora of products available for them. It's quite literally the small block chevy of the firearms world.

Keep in mind that there are several variables that make up the information you need to effectivly choose your first rifle. Do yourself a favor, and please just don't buy a magnum. It will destroy your shoulder and tear open your wallet, and it may even make you shy away from this great sport. Buy a 30-06 and you might have the same problem. There are many great choices but the best is going to be the 308. The ammo is just as plentiful as 30-06 but recoils less and will still kill any animal in North America at appropriate conditions and ranges.

Reloading will make shooting even cheaper for you. The initial purchase may shock you but it will quickly pay for itself. I think we spent an initial 250 dollars on equipment and within a month it had payed for itself three times over because we used to go shooting so darn much and would bring tons of ammo with us compared to before. This is just another option to consider if you like shooting alot. Plus it's a great past time, and a great learning experience.

So I guess all in all my summed up advice is:

1)Buy a 22LR

OR

2)Buy a 700 in 308

Hope this helps and good luck,
-Dylan

P.S. sorry about spelling errors and grammar, I don't feel like editing today...

</div></div>
I could not have said it better but I will say "Ditto".
Listen to this advice, he's dead on the money.
......SmokeRolls

I would say 22lr, but if you are wanting a centerfire might want to check out a Rem in .223rem. Probably the cheapest ammo and capable of great accuracy with low enough recoil to practice the basics.

When I go shooting with a noob I always take a .223 bolt gun. Very easy to shoot good and a fast enought to use reactive targets with great effect. I have a place to shoot 400yds and the .223 gets there ok, not as good as others, but can still make a mess out of a orange at that range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I could not have said it better but I will say "Ditto".
Listen to this advice, he's dead on the money.
......SmokeRolls </div></div>
That means alot coming from you, thanks for the compliment!
blush.gif

I did neglect to add the 223 as an option as well, but I feel that if you might be hunting with the rifle later on (it sounds pretty safe to assume you WILL be hunting later on), and that is why I only mentioned the 308. Unless you're going to be strictly hunting varmint and there is absolutly no chance this rifle will ever be pointed at mid-large sized game then I stand by the 308. It can effectivly do anything a 223 can do and more. But the 223 can't effectivly compare to the 308. Notice the key word "effectivly" as I know some asshole wants to jump in and say "but a 22LR can and has killed deer before and I heard from a friend who knew a guy who read in a book once that even elephant have been killed by 22's" and I know that in the right circumstances a 223 can and will be effective but it's irresponsible and risky at the same time. 308 saves alot of frustration and walking (tracking blood) in this respect. This is why I neglect the 223 and why I stand behind the 308.

Happy shooting,
-Dylan

Thanks for all the input about the calibers that has helped me decided on the .308.

I think I will also get either the 700 sps or the Tikka T-3. Any suggestions on which? i know that other parts are harder to find then the 700 but I like the way they both look and both seem to be pretty good rifles.

Yeah, I didn't consider hunting. I have taken a few deer with a .223 and seen others use it also. With barnes TSX's or Nosler Partitions it is OK. If I had both a .308 and .223 I would grab the .308 99.9% of the time. But if legal in your state it a ok.

If you are going to use it as a hunting rifle that you want to shoot go .308.

If you are going to shoot it alot and possibly hunt a few years down the road I would still say .223. Recently I have gotten into predator hunting, but the .223 is the only rifle I take.

Remington and Savage are both quite popular, and with good reason. I agree with .308 being the best choice for you for caliber. I am in pretty much the same boat as you (first rifle purchase, mostly target shooting, etc.), and I have been reading posts around this site for over a year now trying to gather good info for a purchase. Stating a relative budget would also help to narrow your options, especially in the optics department.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deergrizzly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tikka T3 308
Accurate,reasonable price,not alot of recoil,removeable mag,
308 ammo is easy to access almost anywhere,
good luck </div></div>

Don't envy you your choice. There isn't really a correct answer and your head can melt.

For me I am with deergrizzly. 308 is an excellent flexible calibre that is cheap to shoot relative to others.

I have never seen a Tikka that will not shoot> I have a friend who has a T3 (.243) that is as shoots as well as as any custom job.

I think I will have a budget of around 600 for the gun. and around 300 for optics. that was the main reason i wanted the weatherby in a .308 because they have a package with optics gun and a case for like 600.

I think the .308 is a great place to strart if hunting. Otherwise I'd go .223 for cost savings and less recoil for a new shooter.

I have a Tikka T3 that is light and very smooth, not to mention a great shooter with 1MOA guarantee. It also has detachable box magazines. I think they are one of the best deals in guns right now if you are ok with a sporter barrel. You could move up to a "varmint" or "CTR" model and get a medium heavy profile barrel and still be at around 8ish pounds. The stocks are pretty good for a factory plastic stock.. I think better than the Reminton/Savage offerings.
Tikka T3

If you are looking for more value, look at the Savage/Stevens 200's. They also have a sporter barrel but since it has a barrel nut you can swap out a heavier profile barrel down the line if you decide to do more target shooting. You can even change calibers! The factory barrels are surprisingly accurate for a $300 gun. The action isn't near as smooth as the Tikka, but it's also $250 cheaper. There are lots of upgrades you can do in your own home with just a barrel vice or action wrench and barrel nut wrench. I've build a few of these up and they shoot great!
Stevens/Savage 200

Good luck.. the optics forum should help you out with that part of the build. EGW makes a great 1 piece base for both rifles for about $30.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pnaples92</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I will have a budget of around 600 for the gun. and around 300 for optics. that was the main reason i wanted the weatherby in a .308 because they have a package with optics gun and a case for like 600. </div></div>
Please don't compare that Weatherby to any of the other two guns you narrowed it down to (Tikka/Remington) because I have owned it and was so over the top less than impressed with the rifle. The stock is a piece of crap, the scope is a 60 dollar unit by Bushnell and it WILL stop working very quickly, the case is super cheap but does work, and the rings just look simply hideous. The action is the same as the Howa 1500 series (look into those too if you like) and is IMO very in need of some work. And on top of that there are very limited aftermarket products available for it.

I vote the Remington simply because it's always going to be around and very popular. You can make anything you want out of a 700 action and any smith that can't work with one probably shouldn't be in business. Finding a smith to work on the Tikka might be a challenge as well but I'm not totally sure on that either. All in all, I say pick up a SPS-Tactical (20" bbl) or an SPS-Varmint (26" bbl) and don't look back. Both are in your price range and the only thing that really comes close in my opinion is a Savage. But i'm still pushing for a 700.

Shop around for a good deal on a SPS and I bet you could get one new for around 550, grab a 40 dollar base from EGW, and some burris rings (i think they're on sale at MidwayUSA) and then your flavor of optics and your good to go!

-Dylan

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this. I think I am going to get the 700 in .308. im going to do a little more research before i commit on a scope.

Thanks
Patrick

I like the Leupold VX-2's as a GOOD budget scope. They are a good scope with great customer service and a great warrenty.

I run the VX-3's on my hunting rifles, and I broke one and had to send it in to the factory for repair it was fixed and back in two weeks.

You can go wrong with the remington 700. Don't forget about the 7mm-08.
Meopta has a new scope called a meopro. Its priced decent and the clarity and low light preformance are awsome!

if you only own a 308, I dont think you will learn the basic trigger mechanics properly, that being said, if you get it I would also get a rimfire, perferably the same brand, rem., savage, etc. Start out with the rim and start out with some rounds, relax, then squeeze a couple "308" rounds off and go back and forth, this will help you with your trigger play. people say the 308 has little kick but it is enuff to start a newb of on the wrong foot. I have a savage .17hmr FVSS and a savage FCNS .243 both with the Accutrigger and the .243 has the Accustock, they are both great and going back and forth has helped me tighten my grouping greatly! good luck!

700 in .308 is a good choice. The Tikka T3 is also a nice rifle.

The 700 can easily be modified in the future should you really get stuck into the hobby.

This is my humble 700 Police, which has come a long way since day 1. She shoots nicely and is a joy to muck around with.

IMG_0851Medium.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pnaples92</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any suggestions for a scope that could be used mainly for target but hunting later down the road?</div></div>

This sounds like a job for the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12x44 ffp mil/mil.

It is a good all around scope that won't break the bank (it's on clearance everywhere because it has been discontinued). Good glass. Good turrets. Built like a tank.

It is good enough for target shooting, and can be used as a hunting scope without issue.

Look up Lowlight's video review of it. He literally blows it up and it keeps on ticking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington or Savage 308 Winchester. </div></div>

Yup....