• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Digiscoping / PVS 14 through spotting scope

arbullet

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2008
Hot Springs AR
I looked but couldn't find my answer. Sorry if it's been asked a 100 times.

I've never had a quality spotting scope or even done any Digiscoping. Digiscoping is the wife's idea but I think it could be pretty fun with the right equipment.

Since I'm in the research phase and about to purchase a spotting scope in the next few weeks. Most of my rifle scopes are Nightforce and real close to buying a TS-82. Besides the price ( looking to spend my safety bonus anyway), the reviews are pretty good. I've looked but the only adapter I found for it is for the iphone 5. Nothing for a digital camera or PVS14.

Also in the running is Vortex 20-60x85 Razor HD. There are plenty of adapters for a digital camera and iphone.

First I don't even know if I can even use my pvs 14 and look through a spotting scope. Don't know why I couldn't but if you can, is there a adapter for a spotting scope? Or another spotting scope I should be looking for?

If asked later, my primary use would be for shooting 1000 yds and less.
For digiscoping: Up to 1000 yds and better, Bald Eagles mainly. But maybe taking photos of the moon once in a while.
Using the nightvision: 800 yds and less, but using a TNVS Torch Pro. Never measured how far the IR can reach, so that would be my limit at times.

Thanks

make your own adapter from pvc and paint it tactical black, i did and it looks right at home on a leica spotter and camera. there probably isn't a direct adapter for a pvs-14 to a vortex ocular

A monoloc will work for mounting it. There is also another style mount offered by morovision if I remember correctly. I've also seen people make something out of PVC pipe and duct tape.

Will it work...yes, BUT you'll need additional light. I was using a friends set up at 20x and could clearly watch deer at 480 yards and cows at around 600 in the 30 minutes just prior to complete darkness (overcast, raining, no light sources nearby). Once it got dark, it got really difficult to see the same animals. On a moon lit night, you'd probably have better results. Adding an IR laser or long distance light will help to a point, but range is an issue as is co-alignment to the axis of the optics. There are military grade lasers out there that will reach out to 25 km that would solve the issue of distance. Co-alignment requires either a professional kit or a jerry-rigged mount with adjustable aiming of the light/laser. If you could get your hands on one of the Larue spotter kits with a Leupold scope, that would be your best bet at making it work.

Good luck with it