• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Digital Bad Ass

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    I'm starting to get the hang of this graphic arts software and how it all works with my new vinyl cutter. I'm still getting my behind kicked on the scaling part of it, but were making progress.

Pretty cool stuff.

Here's a samplin of the digital patterns we are now offering. These are inhouse made stencils that we'll be using for laying down the color.

I'm STOKED. I can pitch my Xacto knives! Woo Hoo

Master Vector file:

DSC_0070-2.jpg

Weeded stencils:

DSC_0073-3.jpg

DSC_0072-2.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

Applied to a stock:

DSC_0075-1.jpg

Squirt some rattle can primer just to see what happens:

DSC_0076-2.jpg

Finished!

DSC_0077.jpg

I'm diggin this!

Re: Digital Bad Ass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice my friend! </div></div>

Were not quite ready to paint C-pumps yet killer.

Someday. . .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice my friend! </div></div>

Someday. . .</div></div>

Ha ya we need to bring out the metalic glittery paint for that...

It's all from USCutter.com. The plotter and software. Inkscape is for the doodles. This is a shareware/free software. It's only for design work though. It doesn't have a driver for cutting. That's a separate package that links with it.

Not too keen on how it works, so I think here in the near future I'll be upgrading to a better package. I don't need the artsy fartsy stuff for printing as I'm not ever going to get into that part of it. Just need to be able to isolate/dissect vector images/files and generate the code for cutting.

Once I get this working really well, we may look at putting together some kits for resale. No promises yet, but we'll see. It's a pretty slick setup overall.

When I first started this I bought a pile of plastic cutting boards from Walmart. I took Google images of camo patterns and converted them to a CAD file. Imported the images into my CAD/CAM software and generated tool paths. Using a 1/16 endmill I single pointed the outside geometry. We'd then lay a piece of tape over it and cut it with a razor.

It sucked, sucked, sucked. Took forever. The 4 color woodland pattern on the short 308 gun was almost 12 hours worth of work. Good way to go broke in my book.

Hopefully this works well for us. I'm pretty optimistic now.

C.

Damn,12 hours
    LOL...That would be an expensive cammo job if your charging flat rate hours per job,at lets say $65 per hour.

Good way to go broke is right.

Chad, you were already the undisputed digital bad ass of the internet gun world, BEFORE you did this graphic arts software -> vinyl cutter -> paint -> rifle stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice my friend! </div></div>

Someday. . .</div></div>

Ha ya we need to bring out the metalic glittery paint for that...</div></div>

I dont think he can make the stencils small enough to work for your setup there buddy!

Thanks for the info. I was working with gunsmith last year, doing some duracoating. He had a set-up from USCutter as well. To create stencils, I used a laptop with a touchscreen, layed camo'd fabric across the screen and traced the pattern into PaintShopPro with a stylus pen. The USCutter software was able to import the resulting jpeg. Ended up with some pretty good multicam stencils.

Nice work, by the way!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heycorey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info. I was working with gunsmith last year, doing some duracoating. He had a set-up from USCutter as well. To create stencils, I used a laptop with a touchscreen, layed camo'd fabric across the screen and traced the pattern into PaintShopPro with a stylus pen. The USCutter software was able to import the resulting jpeg. Ended up with some pretty good multicam stencils.

Nice work, by the way! </div></div>

There's a much, much easier way than manually tracing the outlines. Using a program like "inkscape" you can import your JPEG image and convert it to a vector file. The difference between the two is JPEG's work using pixels. As you zoom in everything begins to look like leggo blocks. A vector file will retain its crisp line resolution regardless of the scale.

From here you just use a "break apart" tool/function to dissect all the components/patterns. Isolate the different patterns/colors and arrange for cutting.

It takes a little while to get the hang of it, but once you do it's pretty simple. Way WAY faster than tracing everything out longhand.

Then there's the "cheater" method. You can Google "camo vector files" and you'll literally find thousands of different patterns that'll import/dissect instantly. No need for conversion from Jpeg to vector.

This is a huge time saver. As good as the software is, sometimes you get a "best guess" when it comes to converting files. They can be quite "dirty" and you'll easily burn up an afternoon/evening getting rid of all the crap you don't need.

Inkscape is a free download. It'll do all this, but its not the most elegant program. You get what you pay for I guess.

It won't cut anything though. You'd need to buy that part of the deal. Getting the two programs to "mingle" takes a bit of work and setting up the cutter communications is a bit of a biche too. Ports, baud rates, etc.

Beyond that it's not too big a deal. My biggest hurdle now is getting the scaling right. 24"x36" on the Inkscape program does not translate 1:1 to the cutter. You have to dick around with it. This can be a real great way to waste vinyl!
    smile.gif

Good luck. Once you get it right, it's the chit. Just takes some fiddlin.

C.

Thanks for taking the time to share that info! I'll check out the Inkscape program. I'm used to using an old PaintShopPro paint program, but I've also got CorelDraw, which I think is vector-based. I'll do some googling and play around with it.

Thanks again!

Digital Say Wha?

You got a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG way to go before the title of this thread is true, lol.
    I'd stick with just "Digital"

Unless you can make this:

1001840qe4.jpg

1001860qk3.jpg

1001849yv8.jpg

dsc01191ar1.jpg

dscf0079bi7.jpg

dscf0076po8.jpg

dscf0062kg8.jpg

dscf0075mw9.jpg

What?
    There's even ACU on the INSIDE of the trigger guard?
    Every line is parallel and perpendicular?
    Pffft...You bet your ass, baby.

Painted by the Master, 30calsniper.

Jack

Uh, all I meant was that the software/cutter is bad ass and that im happy to finally get the hang of it. That should of been pretty self explanatory in the first opening line of this thread.

Glad he did a nice job for you. Hope to do the same someday.

C.

How's the bedding look?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Glad he did a nice job for you. Hope to do the same someday.

C.
    </div></div>

That was a very polite, professional way to respond. I appreciate that.

Looks like the software is working well for you. A pure curiosity question: Is the slight rounding of the corners a result of the vectoring process, or a design choice?

Digital patterns vary. What I played with is one of just a few that I have now. The original Canadian pattern along with the USMC MARPAT pattern that debuted around 2002/2003 is very geometric. Some variations have surfaced since then as many things do.

Regarding previous comments:

What isnt widely known is that I've chatted with 30cal. . . Off/on about his obvious skill with paintwork. I half seriously offered him a job in fact. I've got a long way to go yet in my eyes. Just like 10 years ago I had a long way to go with barreling, accurizing receivers, and piller bedding/fitting stocks. I conquered those challenges and mastered them. We'll figure this out and master it too.

Its a relatively simple thing to focus ones attention to a single piece of a bigger puzzle. Its far more work/effort/expense/commitment to master all of it. Then you gotta do it profitably or you'll fail in the business world too.

If Im mistaken why are so many custom smiths using preinletted gel coat stocks and accurizing actions with a tap?

Sure they still shoot well.

-and a chevette will get you to work in the morning. . .

Thanks for the kind words.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megacab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Digital Say Wha?

You got a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG way to go before the title of this thread is true, lol.
    I'd stick with just "Digital"

Unless you can make this:

1001840qe4.jpg

1001860qk3.jpg

1001849yv8.jpg

dsc01191ar1.jpg

dscf0079bi7.jpg

dscf0076po8.jpg

dscf0062kg8.jpg

dscf0075mw9.jpg

What?
    There's even ACU on the INSIDE of the trigger guard?
    Every line is parallel and perpendicular?
    Pffft...You bet your ass, baby.

Painted by the Master, 30calsniper.

Jack

</div></div>

Megadouc.....er, Megacab, You have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggg way before you're not a Douche

I've looked, looked, and looked some more at the photos posted recently. Im missing something I think. In my mind a rifle should have a certain level of continuity in how it looks. Stocks get painted in a pattern/color and the steel gets an accent color.

Here it seems to be a mend of sorts but I don't get it. If you digitize the magazine/floormet/bolt handle wouldn't you do the barreled action and/or the optics too?

The quality/detail is really good. Excdptional actually. I just don't understand the bigger picture.

My purpose is purely student minded. If this is what folks are diggin then I should consider it also.

Comments welcome.

C.

Btw:

We laid some color on a stock tonight. Seems to be going well. Really well even. Pics are on the 308 win H. Van. . . Build thread if anyone wants to see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've looked, looked, and looked some more at the photos posted recently. Im missing something I think. In my mind a rifle should have a certain level of continuity in how it looks. Stocks get painted in a pattern/color and the steel gets an accent color.

Here it seems to be a mend of sorts but I don't get it. If you digitize the magazine/floormet/bolt handle wouldn't you do the barreled action and/or the optics too?

The quality/detail is really good. Excdptional actually. I just don't understand the bigger picture.

My purpose is purely student minded. If this is what folks are diggin then I should consider it also.

Comments welcome.

C.

Chad,

I hear what your saying. Whats the purpose of camouflage? If its to break-up the weapons signature then camo the whole rifle. Or, if using solid colors on some parts then choose colors for contrast in tone and luminance. If just for looks, then I guess you can do wahtever you want...

Just ordered my new stencil cutter so I can keep up with you. I'm going to use Adobe Illustrator to do the graphics and then save as vector and send to the cutter software. Also trying some new stencil material thats good to 450 degrees and wont leave a reside, supposedly. The 200 degree stuff just wansnt working. Will be interesting to see if it works better...

Below are all done in Cerakote
    480_Brandon_Sniper_Urban_SWAT_5.jpg

480_Vacaville_PD_SWAT_Rem700_1.jpg

480_Usleton_Warrior_UltraBlend_Desert_Viper_8.jpg

480_Rem_700_Sniper_Red_Creek_UltraBlend_Woodland2_2.jpg

Btw:

We laid some color on a stock tonight. Seems to be going well. Really well even. Pics are on the 308 win H. Van. . . Build thread if anyone wants to see.

</div></div>

Agree and nice pieces.

Here's our rendering of the urban digital pattern. I think this will be come a signature line of ours. I like it quite a bit.

Hopefully before too loooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggg I'll get to be "bad ass" at this.
    smile.gif

C.

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0026-1.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0027-1.jpg

DSC_0028-1.jpg

RedCreek,

I had the stock painted that color mainly for looks, and because Chad sorta wanted to try it out. I first told him back when we started the build that I wanted it plain OD green with a matte black barrel and action. He wanted to try this out and asked me again a few weeks ago, and I just said, "have you tried a digital pattern?" I'm pretty sure he said, "Nope, but I can give it a stab at it."

So is it functional? Well, not really in terms of hiding me. But for looks, it surely made it appealing to me. I really like the pics you posted of those rifles, they look like they had alot of time spent on them.

Very nice pattern on that HTG.
    have the same stock on my Win.70 wich will be headed your way soon for a makeover.

Great job!

Will,

That's not an HTG my friend. It's our COPY of the USMC M40A1.

I'm building stocks now too. Revamping the mold a bit, so were on hold again for now, but progress is coming along.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agree and nice pieces.

Here's our rendering of the urban digital pattern. I think this will be come a signature line of ours. I like it quite a bit.

Hopefully before too loooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggg I'll get to be "bad ass" at this.
    smile.gif

C.</div></div>

I have no doubts my friend. You excel and streamline everything you do so it's only a matter of time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will,

I'm building stocks now too. Revamping the mold a bit, so were on hold again for now, but progress is coming along.</div></div>

Interesting you mention that,but the McMillan HTG/M40A1 and the USMC M40A1 are pretty much the same.
    But i get what you are saying.

C. Dixon said:
    Agree and nice pieces.

smile.gif

C.

Chad,

Very nice pattern! I really like what you have done with that.

-E

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcats</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will,

I'm building stocks now too. Revamping the mold a bit, so were on hold again for now, but progress is coming along.</div></div>

Interesting you mention that,but the McMillan HTG/M40A1 and the USMC M40A1 are pretty much the same. </div></div>

I agree and appreciate that. Our choice of materials, the manufacturing process, and final weight, etc differs a bit though. Not saying we have some supah secret sauce on this (I mean really, it's a canoe paddle for all purposes) BUT we did try to pay attention to a few things and improve some stuff. Hopefully with the new molds it'll just get that much better.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vantastic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RedCreek,

I had the stock painted that color mainly for looks, and because Chad sorta wanted to try it out. I first told him back when we started the build that I wanted it plain OD green with a matte black barrel and action. He wanted to try this out and asked me again a few weeks ago, and I just said, "have you tried a digital pattern?" I'm pretty sure he said, "Nope, but I can give it a stab at it."

So is it functional? Well, not really in terms of hiding me. But for looks, it surely made it appealing to me. I really like the pics you posted of those rifles, they look like they had alot of time spent on them. </div></div>

Van,

Thanks

I was just chiming in on Chad's ponderings. "Why coat the bolt knob in camo, but not the rest of the metal", etc… I spent a considerable (maybe too much) amount of time researching camouflage theory and talked to guys like Guy Cramer, who invented the current digital patterns. Basically, as he states it the first objective is to break up the weapons signature to disguise the operators capabilities, second; blend with the operator and third, blend with the terrain, which is the most problematic with varied terrain. That’s why I did a pattern called UltraBlend Urban SWAT (OD, Grey, Black) and a five color called UltraBlend Extreme, which is targeted at MultiCam clad operators, etc…

So, I was just agreeing with Chad and adding my comments as he suggested, relative to my thoughts on camouflage coating for rifles. I’m fine with just doing a rifle which looks great and in doing so makes some sacrifices in maximum visible signature reduction. All of the pics I posted, but one are LE SWAT rifles, so we went for max visible signature reduction on these.

I really like Chad’s new digital pattern, its one of the best patterns I’ve seen.

I would like to see the finished rifle. (So, post the pics Chad)

Regards,

-Ernie

Nice work. I'd like to see some Flecktarn or Multi-cam too.

Chad,

wow! First it looks pretty awesome all said and done. Still cannot believe that is my rifle. I seriously cannot wait to pick it up in the morning. I'll probably be there, before you show up to work. Plus I cannot wait to stretch its legs. I'll make sure I get a full range report.

Wow that turned out great! Im not sure whats with some of the comments above but I am impressed to say the least about the rifle camo. Its nice to see something different out there.

Now I sure would like to see a try at desert tan digital camo. Always been a favorite of mine! Keep up the good work

I just wanted to share a couple pics of the digital camo job that i had done. I really didn't want the camo to stop at the barreled action so I had all that cerakoted too.By the way, I always look forward to seeing pics of your jobs in process C.Dixon.You do very nice work.

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

Chad i don't see how you can do any better It looks awesome

Stiggy real nice looking stick you have. love the digital job

wow, looks really good chad, more tiger-ish this time.

It would save alot of time and much less hassle to use LXi design/cutting software. Much easier to import the bmp and click autotrace...

BTW, if you find it difficult to get the vinyl to lay down on complex curves you might want to consider switching to OraMASK 813s from the yellow Avery you are currently using. The only advantage Avery has is being able to use for high temp baking.