• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Digital Calipers recommendation

Not really. Mine is a $14 Harbor Freight and is getting a little rough and requires frequent re-zeros. I'd spend a $100+ bucks if I knew it would last a lifetime, Like a Starrett or Mitutoyo.

+1 on the Starrett or Mitutoyo. I still like dial over digital, it never runs out of battery!

Hit a few pawn shops, you'll find some great gear for very reasonable prices. I picked up another Mitu dial 8" last month for $49, right at $200 new. I like it and there is no way around quality, you can feel it the first time you pick it up and run it back and forth.

Cheers,
Breeze

Last edited:
Check out Craigslist you may get lucky and get a high end set for the cheap.

I looked up machinest/precision tools on craigslist and found a packaged deal to include a Mitu dial caliper that I've been using and has worked incredible so far. I also have a Starrett digital set from work that I've brought home to try out as well.

Both feel heads and tails above the Harbor Freight (which I've tried) and would say are worth the investment. I opted to use the Mitutoyo dial set as my preferred for its less bulky feel.

I have 12 years daily use on my Mitutoyo digital calipers and digital mics. I would also suggest investing in a calibration tree. I have seen alot of mics and calipers that would zero out but would not pass calibration due to incorrect readings at different lengths on the tree. Take care of them and even a cheap pair will last a long time.

Hit a few pawn shops, you'll find some great gear for very reasonable prices. I picked up another Mitu dial 8" last month for $49, right at $200 new.

So on a whim I stopped by a pawn shop on the way home just now and what do you know. Just picked up a Mitutoyo 6" for $50. It does feel a lot better than the Frankford I've been using. Didn't need it but for the price wth. Moral of the story is definitely check the pawn shops.

L

Last edited:
Frankford Arsenal has worked great for me and it's cheap.

L

Just so happens the dial calipers I bought from Midwayusa(Frankfurt Arsenal) went straight in the fucking garbage last night!! They had no warranty to speak of so I got my Swiss made RCBS fiberglass, that were from a warranty deal from a few years ago when I dropped my original fiberglass RCBS calipers, I use my Mitutoyo digitals for everyday reloading. The RCBS calipers will be used for comparator measuring and such.

I bought 4 cheapo digital calipers off eBay for $5/each a while back.
They are accurate to .002" or so, not as good as the Fowler/Sylvac calipers I bought 2 decades ago for 20 times the price, but good enough for reloading.

Joe

Buy once, cry once:

13yha9.jpg

Just so happens the dial calipers I bought from Midwayusa(Frankfurt Arsenal) went straight in the fucking garbage last night!! They had no warranty to speak of so I got my Swiss made RCBS fiberglass, that were from a warranty deal from a few years ago when I dropped my original fiberglass RCBS calipers, I use my Mitutoyo digitals for everyday reloading. The RCBS calipers will be used for comparator measuring and such.

OK, after my pawn shop find yesterday and using it last night I'm becoming a believer. Although my Frankford still works fine for what I really need to do it's going into hibernation now in favor of the Mitutoyo.

L