• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Digital powder dispenser?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I have been thinking about getting an automatic powder dispenser.
Is the RCBS Chargemaster much better than the Lyman 1200 Digital Powder System?

Jim

Re: Digital powder dispenser?

I can't comment on the quality of a Lyman, But, I like my RCBS alot..

I have only had one. The newest revision of the RCBS chargemaster combo. Like $250 from Natchez. The best tool on my bench. I wish it were just a tad faster. I am going to try and use some of the tweaks. It is pretty quick, but if it were just a tad quicker, everything would be timed just right.

Love the Chargemaster combo.

It has to be quicker than what I am doing.
Until I find a final load I am just using my little RCBS trickler to put a charge directly in the pan on my Dillon D-Terminator.
Just loading up 10 or 20 rounds isn't so bad but when I find my load and want to load 50+ at a time that method will be the suck.

Jim

After spending way too many years with just a Lyman 55 powder measure, I purchased a Chargemaster a couple years back and can honestly say it has not only increased the number of rounds I can produce but also made reloading more enjoyable. Wish I wouldn't have waited as long as I did.

A friend of mine bought the Lyman DPS3 and has been very pleased with it as well.

Here is a link to a comparision 6mmbr did of the Chargemaster, Lyman and PACT powder dispensers. http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/1266096.htm I have used a Chargemaster for about 2 years and am very happy with it. Mine did break about 6 months back and RCBS sent me a new one. I do have to say the new one seems to work better, runs a little faster and fewer overcharges.

I got a Powdermaster setup that came with a toasted scale (not bitching-got it from DebosDave for free) and have been trying to find a Powdermaster scale for a while. Anyone have any ideas where to look?

(if its too much of a thread hijack let me know, I'll delete it)

I just tried to order one from Natchez. They won't ship to AL. GA. or TN. I can't find the reason either. Went on and bought one from Grafs, $10 more. Oh well, maybe it will be here this week.

I have compared the Lyman to the RCBS several times. The Lyman does a lot better with the speed upgrade, but the RCBS has been faster with fewer over charges each time I have compared them.

They share the same common flaws common with digital scales. I wouldn't chunk either in the trash, but I would go with the RCBS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a Powdermaster setup that came with a toasted scale (not bitching-got it from DebosDave for free) and have been trying to find a Powdermaster scale for a while. Anyone have any ideas where to look?

(if its too much of a thread hijack let me know, I'll delete it)
</div></div>

Midway has some.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=869423

My price with the discount is $169.99.

Jim

i've used both. bought the lyman. niether is perfect but either will get the job done.if you get a lyman just leave the damn thing on to avoid the 20 minute warmup.

Greetings to all!

I'm new to this forum, though I've been following up the discussions as a non registered user for quite some time. Finally picked up the nerve to join the forum
wink.gif

I couldn't resist on posting on this topic as I just happened to order RCBS ChargeMaster Combo yesterday (hopefully will receive it today). Despite of the fact that my intention was just to say hello with my first post, I'm going to continue and prolly bore you to death with some diibadaabaduu...First impression is everything...rigt?

------------------------------------------
Disclaimer:
I might not have much to contribute to the topic at this point, so if you're not into time consuming diibadaaba, please stop reading now and maby check later my "first impressions" post, which I will try to remember to send right after I'm done with ~1000 rifle rounds (.308 & .223) currently waiting for RCBS to arrive.
------------------------------------------

I was doing my marathon reloading session on last sunday evening...erm actually was still at it 3am on monday morning and looking at a wake up for work in 3 hours...I got totally fed up with the time consuming process of measuring powder for the to-be match ammo. Now, it did take me "only" 15 years to reach the point of seriously considering on involving a bit more automation to the process. I surfed the web for different digital dispensers and based on the reviews and comments I ended up with RCBS. Based on the information I managed to gather, RCBS is supposed to be the fastest on the market. Accuracy is ofc another thing, but for my purposes I will be really satisfied if the measured powder will stay within the tolerance of +/- 0.1 grain most of the time. Here's a couple of articles/sources more in case these haven't been provided yet:

http://longrangehunting.com/articles/rcbs-chargemaster-1500-review-1.php
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-31356687_ITM
http://www.realguns.com/archives/149.htm

Here's a thread about some problems with RCBS:
https://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=260949&sid=303164b001f7c7508c25231049d0fbf5

..but still I dared to order one
wink.gif

Tom

I have the Pact digital dispenser. Got for $100 at my shooting club's flea market, it was the latest model, and for the price I could get my feet wet going electronic. Would I do it again? Maybe, maybe not. It has sped up my reloading process quite a bit. I like having the digital scale most of all, and the dispenser is pretty accurate, most of the time. I like it most when am working up loads for testing, just punch in the charge and go.

SY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It has to be quicker than what I am doing.
Until I find a final load I am just using my little RCBS trickler to put a charge directly in the pan on my Dillon D-Terminator.
Just loading up 10 or 20 rounds isn't so bad but when I find my load and want to load 50+ at a time that method will be the suck.

Jim </div></div>

You need a thrower. I used to throw 95%, then trickle the remaining 5%

Hydro I have an old Hornady powder measure. I planned on using it after I decide on a load. I will throw near the charge weight and trickle the rest.
I could use it while working up a load but I am trying a few different powders too and don't want to get confused which powder I used last or have to empty the hopper every time.

Jim

I bought the new Lyman few months ago and wouldn't sell it to someone I hated. Over chared most of the time and think the gears are going out already in it. Hell I bet I haven't used it but 10 times! Now maybe I got one that was made at 4:15 Friday afternoon or the dude suffered from the 12 bottle syndrome I don't know. My buddy has a RCBS and it over charges from time to time aswell. Who know's?

I've had the RCBS for about 2 years now. The first one went screwy out of the blue after a couple of months. RCBS was willing (but reluctant) to 'hot pak' me a new one but they did and I've had no further problems. I load several thousand rounds per months and almost all are run through the ChargeMaster as it's just about as fast as a powder measure. By the time I do a visual check and seat a bullet, the next it ready to go. It can't be beat when working up loads where you're changing weights all the time.