• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Digital scale info

m1ajunkie

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Kennewick, WA
So due to a bit of user error tonight my hornady digital scale took a fall and no longer works correctly. I am pretty sure the hornady scale was nothing special, but it got the job done.

What digital scale would you suggest to replace it?

I am looking at the PACT digital scale that midway offers. Any one using this scale? Do you like it? Should I be looking at something else?

PACT Digital Precision Powder Scale 110 Volt

Thanks

RCBS 505 or 1010, beam scale will last you the rest of your life, or keep buying Chicom junk.

I have a Pact scale (and dispenser). Long warmups, needed ferrite cores, still flutters . . . no confidence in it. For the same price (a little less actually) the GemPro 250 is a better scale. (Yeah, have that one too).

Started with a Lee scale (ugh! terrible ergonomics), bought a Hornady $30 scale (not very good), then the Pact . . . then went back to the beam scale and checkweights (RCBS 5-0-5).

I use the GemPro for everything except trickling; for that I use the Pact to throw a low charge, and trickle into the 5-0-5. GemPro not the best for trickling; just as fast using the 5-0-5.

Lots of scales - but it's the 5-0-5 (and checkweights) that gives me confidence.

I have my 10-10 on a leveling plate sitting next to the Charge master, I randomly compare charges as I load, Charge master runs pretty good, with no mods.

I use the Gem Pro for brass and bullets. I also use it for setting up powder measures when I use them, like for Trail Boss.

Where do we get ferrite cores and what do I ask for??

Last edited:
If you can find an acculab Vic 123 you will not be disappointed. I can see each kernel of powder. It takes a few minutes to warm up but once it is there it is more accurate than my ohaus m5 and is fast enough to trickle too. I gave $100 for mine used and would not go back to analog. It measures to 0.02 grains!

--Daniel

RCBS 505 or 1010, beam scale will last you the rest of your life, or keep buying Chicom junk.

I agree with this. My 505 scale was handed down to me by my father in law when he got his new 1010 scale. It's 12 years old now I believe or something close to it, as it measures as precisely as his brand new one does.

How reliable are the RCBS Chargemaster scales? I have one and it seems to work well. I wait until it trickles up to my setting and then I WAIT until after says # of loadings at that grain setting and then reverts back to actual weight. This weight is sometimes different since apparently the sound goes off when reaches your setting but can be an overthrow that only can be seen if WAIT til after loading # goes away.

I use the straw trick with 'teeth' cut in the end and works well. Threw 50 yesterday and had 6 overthrows of usually only .1 (worst was .2).

Only concern I have had with Chargemaster is it seems to always go back to 0.0 gr even if 3 or kernels fell on platem that powder holder sits on (with holder back on platem). Guess I need to put several kernels on platem to see if will read back to 0.0 or 0.2 etc with powder holder back on and see if accurate. Need to dig out my "20 yr old" RCBS 505 scale to verify too.

That's cuz it zeros itself automatically.

I've had mine for a long time. I leave it on 24/7. I notice the pan increases in weight over time, about half a grain. But if I weigh out a charge, then recalibrate using the check weights, the charge still weighs the same even though the pan returns to it's normal weight.

It's cuz the unit auto zeroes itself before every charge.

The beam balances are surely accurate and long lasting, worth having on your bench for reference, or the day your digital dies, witch is usually when you need it.

If you want a quality balance that Reliably reads at least 0.02 grains, witch is about the weight of a single kernel from a normal stick powder.
The A&D FX 120i is about as low as you can go in price, can find them for 6-800 dollars new and they reliably weigh down to 0.015 grains.
Also using magnetic force restoration weigh cells, they don't drift and give fast and accurate readings, excellent fro trickling powder.

The cheaper scales like Acculab and Gempro, are better then standard realoding balances like Lee, Lyman Rcbs etc.
But there it seems there's been produced many lemons, and you will find mixed reviews if you look around.
If you do a serious test of them over a extended period of time like hours you will find that they drift quite a bit.
And they don't give reliable results while trickling powder, witch is a big issue for me at least.

I use a Sartorius Quintrix 124-1S, RCBS Chargemaster with mod and a Omega powder trickler for my loads.

Had a Gempro 250, but overloaded the pan and broke it. Sent it in for repair expecting to pay something since I abused it, but they sent a brand new one free of charge. Excellent customer service. In the meantime, I had ordered a Sartorious GD503, which I absolutely love. The GD stands for what you say when you see the price, but honestly, I have not thought about the cost since, just enjoy having fast, to-the-kernel accuracy every single time. That said, I compared it and the Gempro side-by-side and it was spot on. It suffers from the same shortcomings as other strain gauge balances, but is very accurate once you've learned it. For the money, the accuracy and customer service can't be beat.

I had the Pact once, too, and hated that thing. Resolution sucked, was finicky as hell, and wouldn't work in my reloading room. It had a problem with the power or EMI or something in there. I had to use it in my kitchen. I'd definitely stay away from that one.

Last edited:
I have a portable digital scale that i bought at ebay. This scale have accuracy up to 0.1g and have many other features that i want in my scale with portability. And you surely get a best digital one on eBay or Amazon if you try to search there.

Last edited: