• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Digital scale information?

crawler97

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2010
MO - Missouri
I'm going to buy a new digital scale and was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions on a certain brand. I use a RCBS charge master 1500 it works good but just not accurate enough. Thanks

Re: Digital scale information?

No I will still use it just looking for something more accurate to double check with.

oh from what iv heard the chargemaster is pretty darn accurate
thats all i use and have great results

I have a $20 shipped ebay special called a gemini 20. It has a 250gr capacity, and reads to .02gr (not a typo). My test weight is a filed down penny that ALWAYS makes the scale read 45.00gr. Other than it not working (hardly at all) with a fresh new battery, I have no complaints whatsoever. When its time to change batteries, I put new ones in a flashlight, and put the used ones in tge scale. You could pay a LOT more, but I'm not sure what more you're gonna get out of a scale other than NTEP certification.

On the chargemaster: a simple fundamental truth is you will ALWAYS tradeoff resolution and accuracy for capacity. This is NOT to say a lower capacity scale will always be more accurate than a higher one, but it is to say two scales, both of equal quality...the lower capacity one WILL be more accurate. That said, the chargemaster capacity is 1500gr. It is EASY to make a 250gr capacity scale more accurate. I scratch my head at RCBS, Hornady and Pact's capacity choice of 1500gr. Sufficient, yes. Ideal, no. I have never had a need for more than 250gr capacity, and could get by fine with 150gr.

X2 on the Gemini 20 I picked mine up through amazon and it has been great for me. I have had it for over a year now with no issues.

If accuracy and speed are your goals get a Prometheus Gen 2, balance beam scales will do everything you need and do not suffer from the drifts, power surges, florencent light interference, electromagnetic bla bla bla, I know it's hard to think that a simple highly accurate mechanical device can be better than digital anything in this day n age, but it's true, a tuned 10-10 scale from Scott Parker would be my scale if I didn't have a Prometheus.

I used to just use a chargemaster and it was all over the place constantly throwing heavy charges. I just got a Gempro250 and am pretty impressed thus far. Just throw your charge a little under and trickle it perfect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdmartin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sartorius GD 503.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011...-0005-of-grain/

I use it to fine tune loads after thrown by a charegemaster.You will no longer wonder about accuracy of your powder charge.Promethius would not even tell me how long to be on the list. Promethius costs over three times as much. </div></div>

no thanks at $900...

I will take a look at both the Prometheus and Sartorius thanks for all the input it is highly appreciated.

I am fairly new to this reloading game, and I just purchased the Chargemaster 1500/dispenser combo. The instructions indicate one must calibrate the scale everytime it gets turned back on. This is tedious, but I am curious if it is protocol for you folks who are having issues with it? My buddy who runs it sure as shit doesn't calibrate it, sometimes I wonder if he did it at all
wink.gif

Look into an AccuLab 123 type scale. It's accurate to .02 grains. You can have the RCBS CM throw the initial charge .1 to .2 grains low, and trickle up on the AccuLab. It works for me.
I would find it very impressive is a $20 scale was truely accurate to .02 grains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look into an AccuLab 123 type scale. It's accurate to .02 grains. You can have the RCBS CM throw the initial charge .1 to .2 grains low, and trickle up on the AccuLab. It works for me.
I would find it very impressive is a $20 scale was truely accurate to .02 grains. </div></div>

For me (and most of us), it honestly doesn't matter one hoot if it's accurate to .02gr. What matters is the precision. If the scale will read a given test weight the SAME every time, 99% of the battle is won.

I have had this scale a while. At first, I tested it against my RCBS 10-10. Once satisfied it was close (real close), I worked up loads using it. When I found 45.5gr Varget (according to the scale) worked great consistently, I filed a penny down so that my scale registered 45.50gr. Before a reloading session, I ensure that penny reads 45.50. It always does. I mean ALWAYS. Thus, it is highly repeatable AT my intended weight.

Maybe that penny ACTUALLY weighs 46gr. Maybe it weighs 100. I don't care! As long as my charge reads 45.50gr on the scale, I've got a safe charge that will be highly accurate.

By the way, my family business is the force transducer industry. I know something about them. There is no extra magic or voodoo in a $500 or $1000 electronic scale (with capacity higher than a gram or two - the scales that masure really really light stuff is a different story) than a $20 one, and price has *very* little to do with accuracy or precision - particularly precision.

For a load cell to work, the resistance across the strain gages must vary LINEARLY with force. The more linear, the more accurate (not precise) it is. It is a cake walk achieving .1% The best is .02%, and you can try all you want, but you'll only get one that good on rare occasion. When you do, you set it asise, and sell it as a super premium transducer to a customer that *thinks* they need one that good.

.1% of 50gr is .05gr, which is ENTIRELY sufficient for what we do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If accuracy and speed are your goals get a Prometheus Gen 2, balance beam scales will do everything you need and do not suffer from the drifts, power surges, florencent light interference, electromagnetic bla bla bla, I know it's hard to think that a simple highly accurate mechanical device can be better than digital anything in this day n age, but it's true, a tuned 10-10 scale from Scott Parker would be my scale if I didn't have a Prometheus. </div></div>

Same here I have a Scott Parker tuned scale, which is dead on with my Promethus 1.5. If you have a digital scale you really need a ballance beam scale, also IMO