• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillion 650 Issue

Autofire

10,000 Rounds Minimum
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2014
Marietta, GA
I am reloading Hornady 140gn ELD 6.5 creedmoor rounds in starline brass. When I resize on my Redding press using Redding Type S Bushing/Full Lenght sizing die with a 289 bushing and Redding +.002 shell holder my bullets are fine. If I move the die to my Dillion 650 (same bushing) with slight cam over on the die and the bushing tighted down I have a problem with the round not chambering in the rifle. Any suggestions?

I am reloading Hornady 140gn ELD 6.5 creedmoor rounds in starline brass. When I resize on my Redding press using Redding Type S Bushing/Full Lenght sizing die with a 289 bushing and Redding +.002 shell holder my bullets are fine. If I move the die to my Dillion 650 (same bushing) with slight cam over on the die and the bushing tighted down I have a problem with the round not chambering in the rifle. Any suggestions?

The 650 shell plate flexes... You need to float the die with an oring and rest resetup the die.

You will probably be a tad more screwed in than on your Redding press. Also, you need to have all the stations loaded with brass that you intend to have running at the same time you resize as it will also change how much deflection the shellholder gives on the upstroke

Reactions: jetsurgeon
The 650 shell plate flexes... You need to float the die with an oring and rest resetup the die.

You will probably be a tad more screwed in than on your Redding press. Also, you need to have all the stations loaded with brass that you intend to have running at the same time you resize as it will also change how much deflection the shellholder gives on the upstroke
So I would put an oring between the die and the toolhead. Will any thickness work?

So I would put an oring between the die and the toolhead. Will any thickness work?

I use just a standard 7/8" black oring 3/32" thick. Lee sells them a tad thinner I believe.

If you're only sizing and not loading in one pass, put a empty spare powder die opposite of the sizing die and thread it down to touch the shell plate at the same time as your sizing die touches the plate to keep the shell plate from moving. You will also have to readjust your sizing die from press to press, don't just go off the cam over. Measure and size and measure again to get where you need to be.

What sixfivesavage said. Your shell plate should bottom out all the way around at the top of the stroke when doing just about anything.
Also keep the shell plate and everything it touches clean, clean, clean. You may also have the plate not set properly.
What I do is have everything clean and tighten the bolt down to the point it will not rotate to index. Then I slowly loosenit until the return will allow the plate to index with slight handle effort.
The way mine is setup the weight of the ram and all that is not enough to index on its own. It takes handle effort. By doing the the shell plate is pretty much touching the base always and the shell Plat bottoms out long before the top of the stroke.

That whole "cam over" setup is pretty much useless on a dillion for the most part. Plenty of my dies have been filled down for more stroke. Even on my rcbs I have had to remove meterial on the dies base.

I can process brass on my 650 within .001" no problem. That's running it through twice tho because I run the power trimmer.

My process is something like this usually.
First run.
#1 full length die or neck die set just short of final size. If Im doing nexk only for a spicific rifle I just decap here. (the one you intend to final size with. If using a bushing set up a larger bushing for this step or run an expander ball later.)
#2, 3 are empty.
#4 is a power trimmer. Die set to just hold the brass enough and not size more then step 1.

Debur and clean.
Run two is final loading.
#1 size brass and check it at first and with every station running.
#2 powder and primer obviously.
#3 bullet drop die
#4 bullet seat
#5 bullet crimp.

It's also very very important to have a sold mounting setup and a very sold table for a progressive press. I have never gotten powder to drop consistency until I made my press super solid and worked everything to be very smooth and tight at the same time. I can throw varget +/- .01gr with modified dillion charge bars but that's a whole other discussion. Very critical stuff I remove the powder dispenser for a powder bushing modified to hold a funnel and have two auto dispensers running on a separate bench.

Reactions: D_TROS and Rover31

My suggestion would be to measure headspace rather than just going by "tightened down to cam over". Hornady comparator tools work well.

FWIW you may find that the thickness of the Dillon shellplate requires a LOT of cam over depending on the size of your die/chamber. If you get to the point where the cam over is as much as you can tolerate and the press still doesn't bump the shoulder enough, the solution is to remove material from the die to shorten it.

Reactions: padom and ruebarb
When you guys are saying to make sure every station has brass there, what do you do for the first rounds? I mean the first round going through doesn’t have anything ahead of it. What do you do for that?

When you guys are saying to make sure every station has brass there, what do you do for the first rounds? I mean the first round going through doesn’t have anything ahead of it. What do you do for that?
Run other brass to get things going. Or pre sized brass. We are say check your "production specs" with the press full and running.
initially you can set up each station with one case at a time. But you would be foolish if you didn't verify how each station runs with all stations full.

Reactions: mercracing
Forgot...... instead of doing the o-ring another method for floating dies is to either...... purchase a Whidden Gun Works floating Dillon toolhead...... or make your own floating tool head (whidden clone) if you can use basic hand tools, it isn’t that hard. Goto your local hardware store and pick up some small roll pins, for the tool head. I’ve found the Hornady lock rings work great for drilling the hole in them to use with the roll pins.

Just look The Whidden tool head and you’ll get the idea.

BuildItYourSelf

It's also very very important to have a sold mounting setup and a very sold table for a progressive press. I have never gotten powder to drop consistency until I made my press super solid and worked everything to be very smooth and tight at the same time. I can throw varget +/- .01gr with modified dillion charge bars but that's a whole other discussion. Very critical stuff I remove the powder dispenser for a powder bushing modified to hold a funnel and have two auto dispensers running on a separate bench.
[/QUOTE]

I am very interested in how you modified the powder bushing to hold a funnel. Can you post a picture?

BuildItYourSelf

I am very interested in how you modified the powder bushing to hold a funnel. Can you post a picture?
[/QUOTE]

You don't need a bushing area 419 makes a funnel that directly sits on a standard Dillon powder die

I have tried the dillion and all I get is powder everywhere. Not sure what I could be doing wrong.

Because it's garbage hence why I recommended the 419 kit especially with the 3" drop tube extension....

The dillion funnel would work but it's not heavy enough to always sit tight to the die.

All I did was basically glue an old rcbs green funnel onto the powder insert that dillion uses. I first started to just pour into the dillion powder die at top stroke from the auto dispenser pan. But the funnel makes the process a little faster. The way I did it doesn't work in short cases. But I can make it work on all 30 cal I reload except 300blk but I don't get picky with that.

I still have to wait on the two dispensers tho.
To be honest I could easily keep up with four of them.

Really you can take the die out and just sit any old powder funnel in there and stop at the top of the stroke and seat the funnel and drop the charge.

The other idea I had was somehow sit a funnel on a charge bar so you can drop the charge in at bottom stroke and it will then drop in like normal.

I have tried the dillion and all I get is powder everywhere. Not sure what I could be doing wrong.

The dillion funnel would work but it's not heavy enough to always sit tight to the die.

Not sure if everyone who's tried the Dillon funnel has used it with the AT 500 Powder Die as Dillon says or not.
I ordered the funnel and die a few weeks ago and they've worked great for me.

Dillon AT-500 Powder Die

Not sure if everyone who's tried the Dillon funnel has used it with the AT 500 Powder Die as Dillon says or not.
I ordered the funnel and die a few weeks ago and they've worked great for me.

Dillon AT-500 Powder Die
The issue I have is the H4350 powder does not always get into the brass case and powder goes everywhere on the down stroke. My bench is build high and I cannot see into the funnel to see if the powder got clear of the funnel insert in the AT 500 die.

MTM Universal funnel kit with drop tube. $15, cut the drop tube a bit shorter then modify to fit into the powder die when it's at the top of the press stroke up against the internal powder funnel. Lets you see if there is any bridging of powder, smaller center diameter of tube keeps any kernels from getting hung up inside the powder die on the top of the powder funnel. I leave the powder die/funnel at the proper location for the Dillon thrower, so I can swap that on and run progressive loads if I want to without changing the powder die.

Been using it for years now, works great.

Attachments

• _MG_6190.jpg
    _MG_6190.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 66
  • _MG_6192.jpg
    _MG_6192.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: fxdrider
MTM Universal funnel kit with drop tube. $15, cut the drop tube a bit shorter then modify to fit into the powder die when it's at the top of the press stroke up against the internal powder funnel. Lets you see if there is any bridging of powder, smaller center diameter of tube keeps any kernels from getting hung up inside the powder die on the top of the powder funnel. I leave the powder die/funnel at the proper location for the Dillon thrower, so I can swap that on and run progressive loads if I want to without changing the powder die.

Been using it for years now, works great.
That setup looks pretty cool. I like the idea of the longer powder drop.

Looks good, I like the drop tube idea.

Dillon photo for reference.

Attachments

• 3729AC73-59F4-4C35-AF89-FC30C2F537F7.jpeg
    3729AC73-59F4-4C35-AF89-FC30C2F537F7.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 48