• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 550 rifle reloading

Porter24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2011
Ohio
I have a 550b and have always loaded pistol. The second stage bells the case mouth. I am going to start loading .223 and I bought some hornady 60g with out bt which makes it hard to seat the bullet in a single stage. My question is will the second stage bell a rifle case to make it easier to seat those bullets. I have had a few screw ups on my single stage where the bullet goes in side ways and pushes it down way to far.

You don't bell the mouths of rifle cases, generally speaking. After you trim them, if needed, campher the mouths a little bit and hold the bullet gently over the mouth and raise the ram slowly, to get things started.

You should have no problem seating FB bullets this way.

Mistakes happen to the best of us, trust me. I could write a full page on mistakes I've made over 19 years.

Chris

I know what you mean. Hopefully the dillon will make it a little easier

I have a 550b and have always loaded pistol. The second stage bells the case mouth. I am going to start loading .223 and I bought some hornady 60g with out bt which makes it hard to seat the bullet in a single stage. My question is will the second stage bell a rifle case to make it easier to seat those bullets. I have had a few screw ups on my single stage where the bullet goes in side ways and pushes it down way to far.

I chamfer inside and out on my cases. Helps with seating but no belling the case on necked cartridges. Only thing powder die does is rests on case mouth to allow powder to drop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've been loading rifle cases on my 550 for almost 20 years and as stated above no belling required but a chamfer is a must. Not a pro or high volume loader, I load less than 2000 rounds per year but include calibers from the 22hornet to 338 AllenMag the 550 will do well for you on the 223 and if you use ball powder the powder measure should get it done. If you use stick powder get a chargemaster.