• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 550B and 308 Win ----Which dies?

TXCOWDOC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
Aggieland (College Station, TX)
I bought some RCBS competition 308 dies and have them threaded all the way down to the point that the bottom of the die hits the brass holder when the ram is raised all the way up. I cannot seat the bullet any lower as the die adjustment is all the way down. Any thoughts on another brand for the 550B?
thanks

Re: Dillon 550B and 308 Win ----Which dies?

Forster dies work just fine and give me the same runout as anything else I have used on the dillon.

and while your at it grab some Ramshot TAC, stuff flows like water through the dillon..

so your saying that you have the dies turned down all the way until they touch the shell holder and you cant seat the bullets deep enoug.....

the problem isnt the dies dont work with the press the problem is there is something wrong with the die or your seating depth.

what bullets are you using nad to what COAL?

Ive never used an rcbs seating die but it really can be much diffrent than a lee or hornday that im familiar with.

I had the same issue with the Dillon dies on my 550. The Dillon tech said to keep turning even if it's touching the shellholder. It worked for me. If that doesn't work, you might try calling Dillon.

I know this might sound stupid but have you turn down the seating stem down on the die? As I just found out, some people turn the die down to adjust their seating depth not the stem on top of the die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this might sound stupid but have you turn down the seating stem down on the die? As I just found out, some people turn the die down to adjust their seating depth not the stem on top of the die. </div></div>

Ditto...

If its a crimper die also this can be real bad.

~Mike

Dillon pistol dies do not have separate seating stems that can be adjusted. You just screw the whole die in or out.

Not sure about their rifle seating dies.

Andy

Well, you must have different Dillion die than mine.

If we are talking the bullet seater, yes, they have a adjustable seating stems. I load 45acp and 357, as well as 223.

Only the FL sizer die touches the shell holder, the bullet seaters are roughly 1/4 to 1/2 inch above it.

The other die I use are Redding for all my other calibers, but I find it difficult to believe that the RCBS set wouldn't work work

These are the competition 308 RCBS dies. The seater die has the open window which is handy for placing the bullet and seating. The problem is that the micrometer is down as low as it will go and the die bottom now hits the shell holder when ram is at full height. I can't seat bullets any longer than a 30-30 flat nose for my subsonic application. I'm going to return the dies and get some forsters-
Thanks
JD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJakeJ1s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dillon pistol dies do not have separate seating stems that can be adjusted. You just screw the whole die in or out.

Not sure about their rifle seating dies.

Andy </div></div>

Sure they do. Just about all my pistol dies are Dillon and they all have a adjustable seating stem.

The Redding Competition Seating die works great on my 550, at least for seating 175gr SMK in my 308.

Just a thought.

I was wrong about the Dillion pistol die and Andy (BigJakeJ1s) is correct. They don't have seperate seating stems, the bullet detph is adjusted by screwing in the whole die.

I got confused by the rifle die that do, sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dreamweaver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this might sound stupid but have you turn down the seating stem down on the die? As I just found out, some people turn the die down to adjust their seating depth not the stem on top of the die. </div></div>

Ditto...

If its a crimper die also this can be real bad.

~Mike </div></div>

Dillon dies crimp and seat in a different step.

On the RCBS competition seating dies isn't the extended shellholder required? I have the use one on my Rockchucker.