• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 650 how to get accurate powder dump?

problemchild

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
I found a site a while ago that had great info on making the dillon powder station way more accurate. I cannot find th site now.

Anyone have any tips on throwing consistent charges with the 650?

I have made a few other changes to my press like the toolhead lock, thrust bearing and M die as well as the trimmer and I was going to buy the RCBS lube die.

Varget powder is stick powder and does not flow well. Is there a ball/sphere powder that shoots as good as the varget?

Mods to powder station for accuracy?

Re: Dillon 650 how to get accurate powder dump?

do you have the newer style powder measure? Its supposed to be alot more consistent than the older style.

I use N320 in my 650 for .40 cal loads and its been dead on for it.

I have a Dillon 550B. I use Varget and it is difficult to get powder charges to stay within +/- .02 grains. I will change to a spherical powder once the Varget is finished.

CB

i have only put pistol powder through mine. alot of people put a spring on it to make it self return. i polished mine. litterally took a dremel and put a mirror finish on the internals to make it cycle smoother and get more consisntant charges.

i get with in ,1 gns of bullseye took a night or two but well worth it

Contact Hoser on here , He has a tutorial about making the powder measure work more consistently .

The Dillon powder measure isn't known for throwing stick powders very well .

Forget to mention I am loading 7.62x51 match

I vote with the 'use spherical powders' group. I don't worry about loading for pistol. Just use a load that is .5 grains or so under max. I doubt that the load will vary enough to notice unless you are shooting bullseye. IDPA, IPSC and cowboy all have big enough, and close enough targets that it shouldn't affect your score. Particularly if you don't shoot any better than I do.
frown.gif

I load my long range rifle ammo the old fashion way: single station press.

how about replacing the dillon powder measure? The Redding BR30 gets high marks. Is there a way to install a different, better powder measure on a 550?

In blue press pg18 it says you can get a 450 powder die and an adapter to use any manufacturers powder measure

I love the blue press! Anyone ever replace the Dillon powder measure with another manufacturer in station 2 of a RL550B? If I were to buy a Redding BR30 or similar measure, I would pass each case by hand one at a time and drop the charge? Probably just as fast to weigh each charge on the progressive...

I am having the same problems. I have tried a rubber band around the powder hopper attached to the bar and it help some. I am wondering if you made a longer drop if that would keep the powder from bridging. Has anyone tired this? If you extended the tube about six inches it would drop the powder with enough force to get through the 22 cal neck. Just an idea please let me know if you have tried this before i go and build one for no reason.
Thanks for any help.

John

Oga, YES ! it works, i was loading .222 Rem. and .243 Win.many years ago and i had the bridging problem, a much older reloader friend told me about this cure for the problem, i was using a Lyman #55 P.M..., and still do, he added, "and pull the handle down slowly", i only load for two calibers today and use only "ball" powder.

FWIW Dept., i use a Dillion 650 to load for one round only and that is 5.56mm NATO, i use only two different powders, Ramshot TAC and Hodgens BLC-2, they flow like quick silver, after getting the amount to what i want, i weigh every 5th load for about 30 rounds, then every 10th, for 50 rnds., 20th, 50th and sometimes i'll do a "random" check and the checked rounds are within + - .010 to .015 grain.

I am using a 1050 Super to load .223 and .308 I have been using IMR 8208 and it drops the powder just fine. I have polished the inside of the funnel and put a spring like on the older presses. I think it has more to do with the stroke of the ram the same every time, I also hesitate just a sec. at the bottom of the stroke. I loaded 200 rds. of 77gr. 223 last week and I shot them today @ 300 and it printed a 1/2 group. Not bad for a progressive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW Dept., i use a Dillion 650 to load for one round only and that is 5.56mm NATO, i use only two different powders, Ramshot TAC and Hodgens BLC-2, they flow like quick silver, after getting the amount to what i want, i weigh every 5th load for about 30 rounds, then every 10th, for 50 rnds., 20th, 50th and sometimes i'll do a "random" check and the checked rounds are within + - .010 to .015 grain. </div></div> I see a lot of recommendations to check every so many rounds. What do you do if you find a round out of spec? You won't know how many of the rounds you didn't check are also out of spec, perhaps on the high side...

when i find a random round out of spec it is usually low as the powder in the hopper is also getting low, so i try to keep my powder level at half way at all times, i get about 150-200 rounds before refilling.

I talked to the Sierra ballistician one day, and he told me to go ahead and load 168 SMK in 308 as low as 36 grains. Most of the starting loads are at about 40 or 41. Anybody shoot loads that light? Gives a big margin for error on progressive machines and might add to the barrel life. Plus cost less in powder.

I have never had a powder measure keep within .01 to .02 grains. Nor have I ever had a scale that could measure within those limits. .1 to .2 maybe. JMHO

When I load on my 550 I only load progressive on pistol cartridges. If I am loading for my precision rifles I use the Redding 3BR powder measure to load cases. I have had issues with Dillon powder measure being accurate enough for precision work. The Redding is usually spot on but I still check to make sure.

I use a Dillon 1050 and replaced the factory slide bar measure with an RCBS uniflow and the hornady auto activate linkage.
I gave up with getting any decent consistency with the dillon measure. The RCBS uniflow with a aluminum powder baffle runs excellent and is WAY more accurate & consistent.

1050.jpg