• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 650 question/issue

lordt313

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2007
Louisville. KY
I dont know how many people use this machine, but I got one and set it up today and began to test it so I could get acclimated, I am loading 5.5 grains of blue dot powder and everytime I cycle the machine it jerks so much that the powder spills out all over the indexing plate, now granted its only 8-10 flakes each time I dont trust the loads and after about 30-40 rounds I have to dust off the indexing plate. My question to those that use this machine is do you think if I use a more finely granulated powder this may not happen? and if so what powder should I look at?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

-Taylor

Re: Dillon 650 question/issue

Don't say I never did anything for you
wink.gif

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86570&st=0

you need to adjust the shell plate bolt's tension, on the left side of the shell plate underside is a set screw (part #13923) which should be loosened (you will need to raise the ram to access the set screw)then you adjust the bigger bolt atop the shell plate (part #13418), usually i finger tighten until snug, then i tighten the set screw relatively tight with a allen wrench, cycle the press, if the shell plate is still snapping and releasing powder from the case turn the bolt a little tighter...very small increments here. If it is too tight simply loosen the shell plate until allows the press to cycle fully, then tighten the set screw with moderate force (it has a brass tip and will not damage the shell plate bolt) if the isn't working out for you I would order the shellplate thrust bearing kit for your shellplate or try removing 1/4 or 1/2 of your shell plate detent spring as it is the heart of the problem, the spring is a bit strong and causes the detent ball to snap into the next index hole on the underside of your shellplate....welcome to the club, go slow and deliberate to learn all of the mechanics of the machine and what every part's function is, after awhile you'll be able to troubleshoot the press quickly and you'll be churning out a lot of bullets, keeping components on hand will be a bigger problem
grin.gif

2010022520100225p225490.jpg

+1 edge, you just helped me out with a similar issue! I was wondering what that screw underneath did...

Back several years ago I tired of always working on the several LEE 1000 progressive presses I had at the time. Loading 45acp is a bit too hard on them. Especially when on occassion a military primed case slips into the batch. For 9mm or 38 / 357 they work fine. But in the mid 1990s I got an XL650 from Dillon. That thing is a true joy to pull the handle on. I'm loading 45 and 223 on it. I LIKE it.

Now if I can figure out what I want to do on the powder measure for 308 match ammo I'll be happy. I've thought about making an adapter and using my Harrell's Premium on it.

+1 on what edgecrusher said.
I had/have the same issue sometimes. I put a little grease from a grease gun on my finger and coat the underside of the shell plate and rame base. I don't use a lot, just enough to give it some lube to move freely. Also, don't over tighten the large shell plate screw. Just tight enough to still cycle smoothly. Then tighten down the set screw on the left side, and you're good.

thanks guys, really appreciate the advice, I will update after trying a few of these.

You want to fix this for another reason too. With a big powder like Blue Dot it gets caught in the shell groove on the shell plate and each case that gets pushed in there packs it tighter and tighter until the case will not go in all the way and you will start crushing brass.

I'm sure I'm not the only person to do this. But after each loading session (usually 500 to 1500) I noticed maybe 1/8th to 1/4 teaspoon of powder spilled in the shell plate area. I took a cheap air blow gun with a quick connector that fits my air hose and epoxied a 4" piece of 1/8" aluminum tubing from a hobby store in the nozzle. I reduce the pressure to about 25 psi and it does a real good job of cleaning it.

On My XL650's I use Dry Graphite to lube between the shell plate and base. I Tighten Down the Bolt until the shell plate will not rotate and then back up Just slightly until I can get movement out of it and it will rotate while cycling the handle.

If you do not have compressed air in your reloading room, Try getting a couple of cans of computer air. It does very well at blowing out any powder that spilled. Heard that Winchester is coming out with there own line of "Gun Cleaning Air" but the computer Air does well at blowing out actions and powder spills.

The bearing fix really works, I did it to my 650 and its much, much better.