• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon RT1200 .223 problems

Kadams1563

Giver of Bad Advice
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    North Texas
    I have a Dillon RT1200 set up on a Dillon tool head. When trimming .223 I can’t seem to get it low enough to trim unless the trim die is really squeezing the body.

I resize prior to trimming but it still take a lot of force to run the case up in the trim die. It feels like it’s resizing it much more then required when trimming.

Anyone have this problem?

I don’t have a comparator for .223 yet as I only load for my AR and haven’t got that serious about it yet.

My Dillon 223 trim die for the RT1200 sizes the body more than my Forster die, but it doesn't seem too bad. For diameter it sizes the body at the shoulder about 5 thou, and it sizes the base of the case about 1 thou.

My Dillon 223 trim die for the RT1200 sizes the body more than my Forster die, but it doesn't seem too bad. For diameter it sizes the body at the shoulder about 5 thou, and it sizes the base of the case about 1 thou.
    Sorry that this is an older thread, but I have a question regarding an XL 650 and two observations because I have a slightly different problem than the OP.
    1. In my experience, the Dillon trim die is tighter than a regular sizing die or even the RCBS small base body die but according to the Whidden case gauge, it is only very slightly (-.002) under the chamber spec.
    2. On a recent batch LC18, the fired brass measured OAL 1.758 to 1.760 before running into the Dillon trim die or RCBS small base die. After sizing in either die, the OAL was 1.765 to 1.768 indicating a real need to trim.
    QUESTION:
    When I run the trim die down to just touch the 650 shellpplate, the exhaust window above the tool head is almost obscured by the Dillon lock ring. Since I am running one head only for case prep, I have a Lyman Universal Decapper in position 1 and a Lyman M die in position 2mostly to round out case neck dings with the Dillon RT1200 Trimmer in position 4.
    What's the best way to get a larger exhaust port opening and cleaner shavings extraction?

I had a rt1200 years ago . It’s a frustrating device to get working properly. I sold my rt1200 and used the money towards a Giraud setup. The only regret I have is waiting so long.
    Something to think about before spending any more on the rt1200 setup.

Sorry that this is an older thread, but I have a question regarding an XL 650 and two observations because I have a slightly different problem than the OP.
    1. In my experience, the Dillon trim die is tighter than a regular sizing die or even the RCBS small base body die but according to the Whidden case gauge, it is only very slightly (-.002) under the chamber spec.
    2. On a recent batch LC18, the fired brass measured OAL 1.758 to 1.760 before running into the Dillon trim die or RCBS small base die. After sizing in either die, the OAL was 1.765 to 1.768 indicating a real need to trim.
    QUESTION:
    When I run the trim die down to just touch the 650 shellpplate, the exhaust window above the tool head is almost obscured by the Dillon lock ring. Since I am running one head only for case prep, I have a Lyman Universal Decapper in position 1 and a Lyman M die in position 2mostly to round out case neck dings with the Dillon RT1200 Trimmer in position 4.
    What's the best way to get a larger exhaust port opening and cleaner shavings extraction?
    The "short" toolhead for .300 BO will move the lock ring away from the window, but you are forced to place the trim die on station 3. Stations 2 and 4 are not threaded/usable on the short toolhead.

Was lot of discussion about modifying the manifold to increase airflow, using smooth vinyl tubing and different shop-vac choices over here:

A tangent on this. I've not used my RT1200 in ages on .223 as buying factory ammo and processed brass was so cheap.
    My frustrations at the time were it way over-sizing the necks and continual birdnests of brass in the manifold. The latter has fixes as I described above.

I have a pin gage set that I didn't have at the time the 1200 was new (both to me and as a product). The neck on that original Dillon .223 trim die is 0.240" !

A tangent on this. I've not used my RT1200 in ages on .223 as buying factory ammo and processed brass was so cheap.
    My frustrations at the time were it way over-sizing the necks and continual birdnests of brass in the manifold. The latter has fixes as I described above.

I have a pin gage set that I didn't have at the time the 1200 was new (both to me and as a product). The neck on that original Dillon .223 trim die is 0.240" !
    Thanks for the Brian Enos link and the obviously better solution of locking the trim die from underneath the tool head to clear more of the exhaust port. My plan tomorrow is to put a small "Dust Deputy" cyclone separator between my shop vac and the RT1200 exhaust manifold. My hope is that this will increase the air flow and cause most of the brass trimmings to drop to the bottom of the cyclone which sits on a standard 5 gal homer bucket. If this works, there should be little or no brass in the vac itself and maybe no birds nest anywhere.