• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon RT1200B Trimmer Observations

sgtlmj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2006
CO
I bought a 1200B from a Hide member a couple weeks ago and have had a chance to wring it out. Here's my situation and observations:

I have literally ~300# (pounds!) of .223Rem brass in bins in my basement. I shoot AR's and AUG's in classes and competitions. I refuse to shoot steel cased Russian crap in my $1,500+ guns, so I'm going to reload until my components run dry.

I looked at the Giraud and it seems like a great trimmer, but I want to handle the brass individually as little as possible. In comes the 1200B.

I set up a case-prep head on my XL650. Started with this: #1 Decapper, 3 Trimmer, #5 Full-length sizer w/ decapping pin removed. I quickly determined that the trim/size die does a great job at sizing the case back down where it should be. The trimmer doesn't leave much of a burr on the neck, and since I load boat-tail bullets it isn't an issue.

I was concerned about the neck, which is why I added the sizer on #5. After some experimenting, I determined that I could leave the f/l sizer on my reloading head, and it would do the same thing over there. Additionally, since I was only hitting the neck, I didn't need any lube once I got to the reloading stage. Big advantage in putting bone-dry cases into the reloading process, since powder and other crap aren't sticking, and it isn't imparting lube into the dies. The neck button on the die knocks down any burrs. Here's my final setup:

Tumble or liquid clean cases, depending on how dirty they are. Spray lube and load into case feeder.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Case Prep Head</span>
#1 Lee Universal Decapper
#2,3 empty
#4 Dillon RT1200B Trimmer
#5 empty

Tumble the lube off.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Reloading Head</span>
#1 Dillon f/l size die
#2 Powder dump
#3 Powder check
#4 Dillon seating die
#5 Dillon taper crimp die

I found that primer pocket crimps are present in only about 5% of my cases. I cycle the press slow enough to feel the primers and just set the crimped cases aside if I feel resistance. I'll swage them later and throw them back into the mix.

Re: Dillon RT1200B Trimmer Observations

This is just what I do. You can trim close to 1500 cases per hour with this method. I am lucky enough to have a 1050 do the loading on, so I don't have to worry about the primer pockets.

I have been recommending this method to everybody that asks for a couple of years now. I am glad to see someone recognizes there is no need to chamfer when using boat tail bullets.

No need to chamfer, regards od bullet style. Use an M-die.

I think Dillon could put a swager on the XL650. For case prep you don't need the primer plunger, and I usually take it off anyway to keep it from gunking up. Someone could make a gadet to go in its place that would swage the primer pockets.

I'm newbie when it comes to reloading so I apologize if this is a stupid question but...

I thought you were supposed to trim after you FL sizing? Doesn't the FL sizing alter the case length?

My other question is, how consistent has the Dillion trimmer been for you? Does it give you the exact same case length every time or is there some small amount of variance?

The |Dillon trim die is a size die.

Like Eddie says, the Dillion trim die sizes the outside of the case, which returns it to spec prior to trimming.

My cases have been dead-nutz consistent through the trimmer. There can really be no variance, since it indexes from the base to the neck while it's held in the size die.

Glad the trimmer is working out for You .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C Ward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad the trimmer is working out for You . </div></div>

It is. My only complaint is that I'm going to need rotator-cuff surgery from cranking my press so much. It's so fun to prep cases now that I can't stop!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtlmj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like Eddie says, the Dillion trim die sizes the outside of the case, which returns it to spec prior to trimming.

My cases have been dead-nutz consistent through the trimmer. There can really be no variance, since it indexes from the base to the neck while it's held in the size die. </div></div>
OK that makes sense but then what's the FL resizer for on the reloading head? (Sorry like I said I'm a newbie
blush.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cgv69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtlmj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like Eddie says, the Dillion trim die sizes the outside of the case, which returns it to spec prior to trimming.

My cases have been dead-nutz consistent through the trimmer. There can really be no variance, since it indexes from the base to the neck while it's held in the size die. </div></div>
OK that makes sense but then what's the FL resizer for on the reloading head? (Sorry like I said I'm a newbie
blush.gif
) </div></div>

Mostly because I already had it set up that way. But: 1) it also has the neck size button in it that will bump the neck back out from the outside sizing that the trim die gave it; 2) the button will knock down any small burrs left over from the trim process, and; 3) the decapping pin will knock out any bits of media that get stuck in the flash hole from tumbling the lube off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtlmj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cgv69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtlmj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like Eddie says, the Dillion trim die sizes the outside of the case, which returns it to spec prior to trimming.

blush.gif
) </div></div>

Mostly because I already had it set up that way. But: 1) it also has the neck size button in it that will bump the neck back out from the outside sizing that the trim die gave it; 2) the button will knock down any small burrs left over from the trim process, and; 3) the decapping pin will knock out any bits of media that get stuck in the flash hole from tumbling the lube off. </div></div>
Gotcha - Thanks for the info. I'm looking to get a 550B and want to reload 223 for my AR's on it but almost ruled out the 1200 because I didn't think it would work with the 550B. I didn't consider a second tool head setup like you have but I like that. Do you have a vacum hooked up to the 1200? I saw a couple of youtube videos where people did. Not sure if it's required or just a nice to have?

I'm guessing you lube the cases on their run through the first tool head, then you tumble and then run them dry through the second head?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cgv69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtlmj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cgv69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtlmj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like Eddie says, the Dillion trim die sizes the outside of the case, which returns it to spec prior to trimming.

blush.gif
) </div></div>

Yeah dude, you pretty much have to use a vacuum w/ the RT1200 trimmer. Just set up a separate toolhead with your motor and die and you'll be straight.

Mostly because I already had it set up that way. But: 1) it also has the neck size button in it that will bump the neck back out from the outside sizing that the trim die gave it; 2) the button will knock down any small burrs left over from the trim process, and; 3) the decapping pin will knock out any bits of media that get stuck in the flash hole from tumbling the lube off. </div></div>
Gotcha - Thanks for the info. I'm looking to get a 550B and want to reload 223 for my AR's on it but almost ruled out the 1200 because I didn't think it would work with the 550B. I didn't consider a second tool head setup like you have but I like that. Do you have a vacum hooked up to the 1200? I saw a couple of youtube videos where people did. Not sure if it's required or just a nice to have?

I'm guessing you lube the cases on their run through the first tool head, then you tumble and then run them dry through the second head? </div></div>

I run a vacum, I don't know which is LOUDER the trimmer or the vac. Earmuffs are not a bad idea. I run the vac to keep the chips cleared away. Sometimes I find the chips inside the cases.

You need to run a vac. Keeps the shavings from gunking up your toolhead. You can get a small wall hanging shop-vac from Walmart for $25.

I made a similar set up but on my Hornady LnL. I was not comfortable enough using the sizing die on the trimmer to resize my cases. Besides, I had my Forster sizing die all set up the way I wanted it. So, my set up on my Hornady is, using tumbled and lubed cases, Station 1: Forster deprime/fl size; Station 2: empty;
Station 3: RT1200B adjusted just to trim the already re-sized case; Stations 4 and 5: empty.

It works fast with the case feeder. Just dump em in the hopper, turn it on and pull the handle. The trim lengths are very consistent. It does run HOT though.

Couple of questions about this. I'm using the dillon 550b but I'm actually really only getting full use out of 2 of the 4 stations (station 1 - sizing & priming and station 3 - bullet seating). Station 2 isnt getting used since the cases havent really needed to be belled and I'm individually powder filling with the chargemaster. Bullets are seated well and tight without needing to be crimped to remove belling so station 4 also isnt being used.

I dont have much to go on about the 1200b trimmer, it appears atleast in the pictures that it threads into one of the stations but also may be so large that it blocks more then one station?

What I'm getting at is can I keep station one as-is, set the trimmer up in station 2, and seat the bullets in station 3?

Also I'm seeing some comments about needing to size the brass after trimming, and other comments saying the trimmer does the sizing, can someone clarify with more detail?

Blue3Bravo:
As others have said the Dillon Trim die is a full length resizing die. But since it doesn't have an expander you must either use a Lyman M die to open the case mouth slightly or use your resizing die. I use the M die to avoid working the brass again. I have also found if you us boat tail bullets like Sierra 52 grain SMK's or 69 SMK's belling isn't required. But flat base bullets do require belling otherwise you will eventually deform the mouth of the case when seating the projo.
I use my Rock Chucker to do the trimming and then reload on the 550B. The noise level is to distracting when I am reloading.

Do any of you use the auto powder? I hand weigh each round, been thinking a progressive would be great, however, can't imagine it would be accurate enough?