• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Dillon Super 1050 w/ 1200 Trimmer

coues7

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2007
White Mountains AZ
I'd like to add a trimmer to my Dillon 1050.....do I have to get a totally new head or can I use the one I have? This is not an upgraded machine. It came from the factory as a super 1050.

Thanks,

Scott

Re: Dillon Super 1050 w/ 1200 Trimmer

You can use the same toolhead. However, you will save a lot of time by purchasing a dedicated case prep toolhead with a Lee universal decaping die, sizing die, along with the included swage backup rod in addition to the trimmmer set up.

Those toolheads are expensive, but it sure saves a lot of time re-adjusting the dies.

Got a link to what you are referring to? The head that came with the Super 1050 has room for the following:
1. Resize/Decap
2. Swage
3. Powder
4. Powder Check
5. Seater
6. Crimper

I don't think I have anymore room without another head with more holes. I have a 550 and 650 as well but really I'd like to get it all setup once for my 223 stuff and never look back.

If I buy another tool head with the mentioned equipment on it every time I want load I have to change out tool heads and that's a major pain.

Thanks,

Scott

Just me BUT. I bought a 1200 trimmer last year and was not satisfied with it account of being very loud, (like a planer running), and after 10 minutes the motor was so hot it was just before smoking. Far to hot to touch. Had it mounted on an extra rockchucker and also had issues with the lengths varying more than I liked so I sent it back and made other arrangements.

Trimmer on a 1050 Super? Why not just get a Giraud and be done ? I use a 1050 Super and love it. I had a 650 and sold it and use the 1050 with everything. 9mm .40 .45 .44 223 .308
Doug Giraud told me that the Dillon case trimmer is what prompted him to make his excellent trimmer.

It's loud....wow...And you have to hook it up to a shop vac....

Look at the Giraud....

Good luck.

You can't do it all on one toolhead, even on the 1050.

As far as I know there isn't a press available that has the room available to run an unsized crimped case on one end and pump out loaded rounds on the other.

If you want to process brass one pass and then load brass on the next pass, the 1200 is a good choice.

However loading while trimming aint gonna happen.

I use a Dillon trimmer to turn 223 into 300 Whisper. And I have processed over 75,000 pcs of brass in the last 12-18 months.

What about dedicating a cheaper 650 tool head to do the prep then finish up on the 1050?

I'd just like to get my 1050 up and running properly. Having trouble with the resizing/decapping die hanging up on brass. It will function ok in manual, but it takes some effort to get the press to come off the brass. With the automatic setup going, it simply stops the machine all together. Thinking I'm going to have to replace that die.

I was not even aware that a trimmer could be setup on the machine, so that is something to look at. Generally I would simply run my case through a trimmer prior to loading them into the case hopper.

As I posted on here or somewhere I used a smaller benchtop drill press that i had using an RCBS three way tool in a shopmade adapter chucked in. The cases are held with a Sinclair powerdriver/holder chucked into an extra drillchuck of which is mounted to the press table. This works best for me account of trimming many thousands of cases, (meaning fast), micrometer adjustment already made into drill press, and an inexpensive setup,already had drillpress.

that sounds pretty easy SD. I may have to comb the local pawn shops to find a small cheap press and set something like that up.

Scott & Dave,

I tried the Dillon trimmer on a dedicated 650 toolhead. Why? Because those toolheads are so much cheaper. When I added up the cost of 1050 toolhead + trimmer, I'd rather have a Giraud for roughly the same $$ (and I prefer the Giraud for non-.223, LR rifle calibers). Trying it on the 650 -- complete agreement, way too loud. It would reverberate through my entire house (basement reloader). So, I sold it and got a Giraud.

But the 1200 fans like Hoser & JJRigger have a point that if it's absolute mass quantity/speed you are after, that's when the 1200 shines (whether your feeding brass into a S1050 or 650).

I typically brass prep my .223 in lots of 500 or so. Sitting in front of the TV with my bunch of .223 brass and the Giraud, I don't mind it. Reloading .223 on my S1050 is great. I deprime/FL resize, swage (if needed), and prime. Then pull them out into a separate bin. Then I trim/chamfer via the Giraud. When loading, I start in the powder throw station, seat bullet,... I don't clean up the primer pockets for .223. One .223 S1050 toolhead (Dillon carbide dies in my case).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a link to what you are referring to? The head that came with the Super 1050 has room for the following:
1. Resize/Decap
2. Swage
3. Powder
4. Powder Check
5. Seater
6. Crimper

I don't think I have anymore room without another head with more holes. I have a 550 and 650 as well but really I'd like to get it all setup once for my 223 stuff and never look back.

If I buy another tool head with the mentioned equipment on it every time I want load I have to change out tool heads and that's a major pain.

Thanks,

Scott </div></div>
It is two different processes. Changing the toolhead on a 1050 is about a 2 minute job. Case prep with decapping, resizing, swaging, and trimming is done the first time, then tumble off the lube while you are changing the toolhead. After a short cleaning, run them through again with your toolhead set up for loading.

If you don't need to swage the primer pockets, use a 650. That is actually what I usually end up doing. It is loud, but I didn't know so many rifle shooters would be complaining about noise! lol

I do own a Giraud and it's one of the best investments I've ever made. In the same token if I don't have the 1200 trimmer on the Super 1050 is that I have to add a whole process to my reloading. I'd have to set up another machine to resize THEN trim. Then when I go to run them through the Super 1050 machine they'd get resized again. Why over work the brass? That's 2 resizes for 1 load! The whole purpose of the Super 1050 is to load LOTS of ammo. Right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do own a Giraud and it's one of the best investments I've ever made. In the same token if I don't have the 1200 trimmer on the Super 1050 is that I have to add a whole process to my reloading. I'd have to set up another machine to resize THEN trim. Then when I go to run them through the Super 1050 machine they'd get resized again. Why over work the brass? That's 2 resizes for 1 load! The whole purpose of the Super 1050 is to load LOTS of ammo. Right? </div></div>

Why would you resize it again?

It's really not that hard: Decap, swage, resize, trim, tumble. Swap toolheads. Prime, charge, seat, and crimp if you desire.

This process still averages out to over 600 rounds per hour of machine operation. You can trim the cases as fast as the case feeder spits them out, usually around 1200-1500 per hour.

Just because Dillon calls a particular station a resizing station, doesn't mean you have to use it.

If you already have a Giraud, I would use that, unless I needed to trim more than 1K of brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do own a Giraud and it's one of the best investments I've ever made. In the same token if I don't have the 1200 trimmer on the Super 1050 is that I have to add a whole process to my reloading. I'd have to set up another machine to resize THEN trim. Then when I go to run them through the Super 1050 machine they'd get resized again. Why over work the brass? That's 2 resizes for 1 load! The whole purpose of the Super 1050 is to load LOTS of ammo. Right? </div></div>

It has to be done in 2 operations...theres no way around that

Generally people

Resize and Trim on the first pass.

Then retumble while swapping toolheads.

Instead of resizing on the second pass a universal decapping die enures that no media is stuck in the flash hole....it is not resized again.

The 1050's a monster...I had one for a short while. That being said my 650 with a bullet feeder can still pump out 1300+ rounds an hour if I have someone feeding bullets and brass into it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 1050's a monster...I had one for a short while. That being said my 650 with a bullet feeder can still pump out 1300+ rounds an hour if I have someone feeding bullets and brass into it! </div></div>

With my bullet feeder I can run at 2,200-2,300 rounds an hour for 20-25 minutes. But I cant keep up that pace to too long. I normally chug along around 1,500-1,800. I would rather put out quality ammo in good time than ok ammo at warp speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd just like to get my 1050 up and running properly. Having trouble with the resizing/decapping die hanging up on brass.</div></div>

Add more lube and/or try their carbide size die. Do both and your arm will thank you.

Well Hoser, small castastrophy! I bent the decapping pin anybody know where I can get one of hand. I haven't even taken the time to look. Thought I had an extra, but apparently not. I don't even know if it's the original die on this thing, but the decapping pin screws into the center of the die. Sorry guys that's all I know, it came as it sets and has been a hassle ever since!