• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon super swage?

Duff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
Laramie, Wyoming
i saw this in a catalog not to long ago. and i have a few questions about it. does it make surplus bradd reloadable? (im pretty sure it does but i want to be sure) and is it even worth it to reload surplus brass?

Re: Dillon super swage?

All it does is swage the crimp from brass with crimped primers.

It's by far the easiest and fastest way to deal with mil crimps. The thickness of the web in the case will affect the swage, so cases do need to be sorted.

Frankly I tried the super swage and was less than impressed. My main hangup with it was that I often have mixed varieties of 223 Rem brass that need to be swaged. The Super Swager requires the depth to be adjusted to a fixed point for certain cases and adjusted again for others. With my variation in cases, I was either swaging too much or too little and it just became a pain in the rear with all the adjusting back and forth.

I found this little tool and my problems have been solved. After reaming, the cases all accept primers well and I don't have to worry about keeping identical lots of swaged brass. I have been extremely pleased. Also saved me a ton of money and freed up some space on my bench. I now swage while watching a movie and crank through hundreds of various cases without a hitch. Enjoy.

Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer

Never had to readjust mine, it swaged every brand of brass on the setting I had it on, maybe I had it right at the sweet spot.

I don't load blasting ammo, so I sort anyway. Wouldn't live without on.

Works great for me, I adjusted once at a "sweet spot" and have swaged all types of brass without any problems.Some brass you can feel a tiny bit of resistance but it goes in fine. You will know if you adjusted it in too much when you seat the primer and it feals like it just "fell in" not seated then you have adjusted too much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's by far the easiest and fastest way to deal with mil crimps.</div></div>

I disagree. The fastest way by far is to simply use a primer pocket reamer/crimp remover. I can set my trim mate up with two reamers and do two pieces of brass at a time, which is considerably faster than any other method. In fact, only using one reamer at a time is still faster than the Dillon (and does not require any adjustment for any brass, regardless of the type).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's by far the easiest and fastest way to deal with mil crimps.</div></div>

I disagree. The fastest way by far is to simply use a primer pocket reamer/crimp remover. I can set my trim mate up with two reamers and do two pieces of brass at a time, which is considerably faster than any other method. In fact, only using one reamer at a time is still faster than the Dillon (and does not require any adjustment for any brass, regardless of the type).</div></div>

I second that. I put a Hornady reamer on my Hornady Prep Center and found it to be faster method as well.

The super swage is alot faster than reaming and better for the brass. Make sure it's lubed well and you'll be doing a case per second.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's by far the easiest and fastest way to deal with mil crimps.</div></div>

I disagree. The fastest way by far is to simply use a primer pocket reamer/crimp remover. I can set my trim mate up with two reamers and do two pieces of brass at a time, which is considerably faster than any other method. In fact, only using one reamer at a time is still faster than the Dillon (and does not require any adjustment for any brass, regardless of the type). </div></div>

I still prefer the dillon tool. I get much smoother primer seating than with the hornady cutter. As to speed, if you are swaging small batches of different types of brass, then I can see the cutter being faster, if you account for the time adjusting. But for large batches, 1k cases is pretty easy.