• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon upgrade

ftchmup

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2008
Kenosha, WI
I have a 550b, which is a GREAT machine. I am looking to upgrade as changing from pistol to rifle is a bit of a pain. Do I stay with another 550 or is it worth it to go to a 650 or 1050?? I know money is an issue, but I have had this 550 for 15 years and going strong!!! What do you guys think?? Thanks, Mike

Re: Dillon upgrade

I have both a 550 and a 1050.....if you think changing over a 550 is a pain please dont even consider a 1050
smile.gif

I use 2 different heads and powder drops. One is setup for the large powder drop for rifle and the other small for pistol. All my dies that I use for the Dillon have lock rings on them so I can screw and unscrew them and never have to readjust. Total time for a caliber conversion say from 45 ACP to 223 is about 5 minutes including changing out the primer fill tube.

I've got 3 Dillon 550 B loaders, bought the first one back in the mid to late 80's from Dillon, 2nd. one picked up used, it is older than my original. Third one came off a prize table at SMM3G a few years back. One is set up for 40 S&W, one for .308, and one for .223 but gets changed to a couple different 6mm and 9mm once in a while. The die blocks don't cost much so I have those for all the calibers I load, and most have a powder drop on them. I don't like changing the primer from small to large and back so use the .308 for a large primer rounds, and other 2 for the small primer rounds.

Warning! Once the dies are set for a particular press they can only be used in that press without resetting. There are minor differences in dimensions between presses that will throw off your preset. So keep track of which press is used for each caliber setup.

i have the Dillon 650, and reload exclusively for 5.56mm NATO/.223 Rem., but if i had it to do over i would have gotten the 1050 simply for the swaging of the 5.56mm NATO primer pocket. it is a pain in the rear to have to do that separately on my RCBS Rock Chucker.

I've got 2- 650's one for small primers one for large.
1 Case feeder.

Caliber swaps arent bad this way because i don't have to mess with the primer system. Just change out the feeding stuff.
I will say if you have a 550. You might consider getting another 550 and 1 case feeder and the equipment for both.

HORNADY LOCK n LOAD AP with EZject. I have a 650, with 4 tool heads, and am always fighting the primer system (it gets hung up and I spill powder in unprimed cases and have to rip everything apart to clean). The Lock N load I have works great. Changing dyes and primers is fast!!!! Also the Hornady has a great primer decapping system that drops the spent primers down a tube into a trash can keeping the whole press CLEAN.

When I bought my XL 650 I also bought several tool heads as well. It has all the bells and whistles (literally) including the auto brass feeder. Changing over from 223 / 5.56 to 45acp or back again takes me almost an hour. That includes cleaning everything as it comes apart. But remember I'm an old half blind retired fart. I check everything at least 2 or 3 times before I start making loaded rounds. And handloading isn't something I get into a hurry about. I can take my time and still get several hundred rounds an hour. But to me speed isn't everything.

Good luck in your choice.

Thats why my 650 is dedicated to .223/556. I have not touched any of my dies or adjusted anything since I set the thing up.

If you can swing it, dedicate a press to a single caliber and life will be a lot easier.

For me, when I retired money became a concern. I have just learned to do what I can.

Caliber changes are not to bad with the Dillons until you start messing with the priming system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Caliber changes are not to bad with the Dillons until you start messing with the priming system. </div></div>

It takes what,, 1 minute to change the "tube" and seating stem on the "slider"? You only need a 5/32 allen to do the slider stem swap BTW.
Dillon built THIS press for easy change and the 550 is.
Respectfully,
LG

Honestly I wouldn't know what it all takes to change out a 550's primer system. I was referring to what victor and usmcj posted and I was referring to my 1050 conversion, my bad for not stating so.

If you already own an RL550B, buying another anything is unsat. If you had another handloader to accommodate alongside you, I might understand, but otherwise...; no.

If you can't do it with an RL550B, you must be shooting 50BMG.

Bought mine secondhand around 1992. Changing everything out, including the priming system, is about a ten minute task; and if I could perfect that merit-driven banana dispenser I've been going nuts working on, I could let my pet chimp Reginald do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly I wouldn't know what it all takes to change out a 550's primer system. I was referring to what victor and usmcj posted and I was referring to my 1050 conversion, my bad for not stating so. </div></div>

Yeah, 550s are simple. I have no time on a 650 or 1050. Been running a 550 since '87 and load about a dz. calibers on it.
Respectfully,
LG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you already own an RL550B, buying another anything is unsat. If you had another handloader to accommodate alongside you, I might understand, but otherwise...; no.

If you can't do it with an RL550B, you must be shooting 50BMG.

Bought mine secondhand around 1992. Changing everything out, including the priming system, is about a ten minute task; and if I could perfect that merit-driven banana dispenser I've been going nuts working on, I could let my pet chimp Reginald do it. </div></div>

Hi Greg, Some of the old long black powder rounds will not fit a 550's opening like .45-110 etc. and I use a Redding for that and .50 BMG.
Respectfully,
LG

dillon deluxe quick change kit, and your good to go, set the dies and forget.... caliber conversion in 3 minutes.....

the longest part is changing the shell plate...

Have a Dillon RL550b with casefeeder dedicated to 45ACP
650 for .308/.260
Super 1050 for .223
Need another RL550B for small primer pistol loads!
I've been using the RL550B since 1994 and find it to be a super easy machine to use and keep running.
Never had any major problems with my RL550B
Very simple and straight forward.

I have a Dillon 1050 and it's not exactly a quick change machine and it's not that bad either. I do not swap calibers a lot but when its time you can count on a 30 minute job.