• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

dimples on shoulder of 260 brass

Derek01

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2011
WV
When full length resizing my Rem or Lapua 260 brass I sometimes get a dimple on the shoulder. Never seen this before on any other caliber. Could it be me? too much or little lube? the die? (Redding fl) Thanks

Re: dimples on shoulder of 260 brass

The most likely cause is too much lube, or specifically on the shoulder / neck.

I use a redding lube pad for the case body and graphite on the neck, nothing (intentionally) on the shoulder.

Happens to me when I'm careless with the lube, nowadays I wipe the shoulder down a little after lubing to prevent this.

too much lube, load them and shoot them, it will fireform back so no worries there, the brass is still good to go.

Thanks for your help. I ran out of RCBS spray and ended up picking up a can of Lyman's spray because the store didn't have RCBS. Got some RCBS spray and problem solved. Didn't realize there was so much difference between lubes

Not all lube is equal. Some of it goes along way. Others more is needed. At least you have learned that lesson of reloading. I still get too much every once in a while. Not as much anymore but still happens.

I like the lube pads since they distribute the lube well and don't get lube on the necks & shoulders.

Another vote for Imperial. I originally bought the stuff for making .219 Donaldson cases out of 30-30 cases. Now I use it for all of my single stage stuff that needs sizing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too much lube</div></div>

I was always told you could never have to much....

I would agree though lube on the shoulder is likely what caused this. Basically the lube being a liquid is non-compressible so when it gets trapped against the shoulder inside your die the hydraulic pressure causes a dent

PJ, are you using the imperial neck lube in conjunction with the wax? Do you apply the wax with your finger?

hornady one shot works great and I never have a dimple on the bshoulder, with the Lyman lube almost all the case have a little one. Imperial is a fantastic lube for small batches, it get very old after rubbing brass with fingers after a while.

Fenwick

I apply the imperial with my fingers, but lube the inside of the necks with a plastic/nylon bore brush and powdered graphite or moly. A quick 15 min in the tumbler with untreated corncob or walnut and theyre ready to go.

Paul