• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Dinner by a 5 yr old

Jon Lester

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2004
Tazewell . Virginia
Mom x3 and I took the baby out on another fishing adventure yesterday after Church and she came home with 5 nice trout. I know its pond trout, but she is 5 and as I have been down this road with 2 before her, if you can keep the action up (trout pond) the interest from the little ones stays elevated. On this mission we were going to catch some dinner instead of the catch and release program that has convinced bunches of bluegills in our local lake that they have been abducted by aliens.
Now I am not one of the “End of the world” Guys but I believe in being able to feed one’s self in a pinch and I have worked hard to pass this skill set to my children. They are still subject to tons of high speed internets, i-pods, cell phones,game consoles, big screens and the best technology daddy can provide, but both of my older children have taken about everything that swims in water or leaves a track, via pellet rifle, 22,centerfire, rod and reel, bow, rock and even bare hands so I feel a balance has been met. Now mind you, they have not plowed behind a mule, or weeded beans, potatoes, and corn with a hoe, let alone made a lettuce bed, cooked applebutter, robbed bees or canned like most from my generation and location remember, but I think they could get buy in a pinch.
I am not saying that this is preparation for the end of the world, as we believe when that time comes it is not what you are going to do, but what you have done with life up until that point, that will determine your fate, and the Man bringing the apocalypse had better be a friend. But with the world economies as fragile as they are, a guy that can eat on his own may be setting in a good spot. I have tried to teach my children that if you can use your head and hands to keep your belly happy, you are never out of options.
Today we had fresh trout, corn on the cob and homemade hush puppies and the 5 year old is convinced that with a rod and a can of worms she fed her family, and she is right!

IMG00242-20110529-1615.jpg

IMG00252-20110529-1648.jpg

Re: Dinner by a 5 yr old

Looks like she had a great time!!

Disney Princess rod and reel??

My son has the Disney Cars version, I have to pick up a princess pole sooner than later for my little girl.

It is a blast watching your little ones catch fish. For some reason my son has to name every fish that he catches.

Hope everything is going well for you John, It looks like it is!!

Joe, looks like you know your high end tackle well, it is a Princess. She had a ball putting it on the table with momma as well.

Good work brother. She's got more useful skills than 80% of US born 5 year olds now. Keep it up!

Nice !!

By the way I Love her T-Shirt . My youngest has a pile of funny Softball shirts she has collected over the years
wink.gif

Jon I have told you and Mary this before..."Great job! to both of you" I am teaching mine the same. My wife got pissed the other night on the way home from a baseball game and the 9 year old said "dad, it a full moon, the whitetails won't move tonight as well", and the 6 year old looks at him and states "you know better than that, its on a new moon they don't move" to which mama looks at me with that glare and says "they can't remember to brush their damn teeth or any math problem but they can remember THAT!" to which I just smile and give a little chuckle

Brother,

where did you get the little ones shirt at? I need alot of them.

Thanks

John

Not sure on the Shirt, her older sister that is now playing D1 Ball had 8 years of travel ball under her belt so we aquired a lot of that stuff. She is off to a good start as well

Now that is good parenting in my book.
Kudos to you and your daughter.

My brother slickrick0999 is the same with my nieces. He keeps them entertained and focuses on family time and family values. He does a wonderful job juggling a stressful job and keeping his job as father and husband at the forefront.

She's a doll, John.

Good job.

Brought tears to my eyes reading this. Awesome way to raise the kido's. As I read on another forum, it is noble to be prepared. More kids need to learn these things,(including mine).