• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

diopter setting

Norwegian musher

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2020
Norway
Ive got an NF atacr 5-25x56 i tried to adjust the diopter,reticle is sharp even if i turn the diopter all the way in( im not shure but believe it was turned all the way in from factory) i tested alot but ended up about one turn out..

Now at full mag. the 100yard target wont be chrystal clear until paralax knob is set around 200-300 yards. if i turn diopter all the way in it gets clear with paralax knob at around 150 yards.

does this seem legit?

i must have forgiving eyes for a 45 year old lol

When setting you diopter adjustment, remember to not just stare at the reticle as you turn the eyepiece as your eyes will adapt and you'll never get it right. Look away after you turn the eyepiece and then get back on to check the reticle. Keep doing that until you're happy with it.
Parallax marked on the knob may not correspond to actual distance. Make your parallax adjustment until the target is in focus rather than relying on the yardage markings.

Reactions: Norwegian musher
Yes i do set scope to max mag. and paralax to ♾️ and do look away etc
i must have werry forgiving eyes lol
Do you do that part against a white backdrop or sky?

I have a few NF scopes, the 5-25 took a little fiddling to get right.
What I ended up doing for myself was just check that the focus knob was at 100, sand then verify zero parallax error at a target at 100 yards.
Then played with the diopter till it looked clear to my eye.
I verified at further distances for zero parallax and it was good.

My eye also seemed to adjust quickly for whatever setting I had the diopter set to, so this way helped me get it set good for me.

Last edited:
Do you do that part against a white backdrop or sky?

I have a few NF scopes, the 5-25 took a little fiddling to get right.
What I ended up doing for myself was just check that the focus knob was at 100, sand then verify zero parallax error at a target at 100 yards.
Then played with the diopter till it looked clear to my eye.
I verified at further distances for zero parallax and it was good.

My eye also seemed to adjust quickly for whatever setting I had the diopter set to, so this way helped me get it set good for me.
i use a white door in the kitchen lol now it gets clear and paralax free set at 200 yards when aiming at 100 yard,same at 400 yard im clear when set at 600 yard aproximatley,but at 400 yard its still clear and paralax free at ♾️

The reticle is clearest with illumination on set at this point tho,ive had my eyes lazer fixed so i dont need glasses no more and my eyes are close to 0 but after the lazer im a bit sensitive to light for some reason so it might not be something to adjust after (the illuminated reticle)

Now my diopter is set at exactly one round out from bottom.. whats yours set at?

Last edited:
Yes i do set scope to max mag. and paralax to ♾️ and do look away etc
i must have werry forgiving eyes lol
I’ve started setting my diopter by setting parallax to infinity, but then dropping the magnification way down, not always minimum power, but as low as you think you should be able to read the numbers, hash marks, etc. then still do the look away, adjust, check, look away, adjust, check, cycle

The idea is that it will be difficult to tell a sharpness difference when the reticle is huge, especially if your eyes adjust super quickly. Having the reticle appear smaller will force the diopter setting to be more refined to get a sharp reticle. I have also found that my eyes don’t auto adjust to sharpen the reticle quite as fast on lower magnification. Might be worth a shot.

Reactions: Baron23
i use a white door in the kitchen lol now it gets clear and paralax free set at 200 yards when aiming at 100 yard,same at 400 yard im clear when set at 600 yard aproximatley,but at 400 yard its still clear and paralax free at ♾️

The reticle is clearest with illumination on set at this point tho,ive had my eyes lazer fixed so i dont need glasses no more and my eyes are close to 0 but after the lazer im a bit sensitive to light for some reason so it might not be something to adjust after (the illuminated reticle)

Now my diopter is set at exactly one round out from bottom.. whats yours set at?
Mine is probably several turns out from bottomed out. I have contacts lens though.

When new the diopter is not bottomed out though. They are supposedly focused to what is a 20/20 eye.

https://marchscopes.com/news/4946/

How to adjust the Eyepiece – with Q&A​

Posted 05/26/2020

You may be familiar with this, but it’s nice to refresh one’s memory by going back to basics.
Today I would like to explain how to adjust the eyepiece on your March riflescope.
After properly mounting the rifle scope, it is critical to adjust the eyepiece to your vision.
By adjusting the eyepiece, you will be setting the right diopter value which differs by person.
The goal of adjusting the eyepiece to the proper diopter setting, is to see the reticle clearly and crisply.

The factory setting of the eyepiece is indicated by the white line.
This is set at -0.5 diopter.
eyepiece-1.png

eyepiece2.png

1. Rotate the body of eyepiece counter-clockwise until the eyepiece knurled locking knob moves freely.
Rotate the knurled locking ring clockwise to provide range for the body move during adjustment.

2. Look at a white featureless wall, a blank sheet of paper preferably at a distance of 4-8 inch (about 10-20 cm) ,
at the lowest magnification setting.
Please set the side focus to infinity.
The diopter setting can be adjusted from – 2 to +2.
If you are near-sighted, rotate the eyepiece body in the – direction, counter-clockwise.
If you are far-sighted, rotate the eyepiece body in the + direction, clockwise.
Do not stare at the reticle for more than a few seconds while adjusting,
take many quick looks as you adjust until you get the best, crispest view of the reticle.
※If you have prescription glasses and you will be wearing them while shooting,
we recommend that you adjust the eyepiece while wearing them.

3. When the reticle is focused for your vision, rotate the knurled locking ring
counter-clockwise until it meets up with the eyepiece body to lock the setting in place.
It should be firm but make sure to not overtighten.

Once the eyepiece is set at the best position of your vision, it’s not necessary to alter the setting unless your visual acuity changes.
Now you are all set with adjusting the eyepiece!

I received a question/opinion after I posted. Thank you for the great questions!

Q1 : Why use the lowest magnification for adjustment ?
A2 :Take a camera for an example. When you take a picture with a single‐lens reflex camera
and when you stop down the aperture (diaphragm), scenery before and behind comes out well.
If you open the aperture, single point will be in focus and the scenery before and behind can be blurred.
When adjusting the eyepiece of a rifle scope, focus adjustment is irrelevant.
The only aim of adjusting the eyepiece is to see the reticle through the eyepiece and to adjust in order to see the reticle clearly.

When set at higher magnification of the scope, there is less light on the reticle surface.
This is the same as when camera aperture is stopped down.
At lower magnification of the scope, there is more light coming in on the reticle surface
and is the same as when the camera aperture is open.
The amount of light taken in on the reticle surface differs by magnification and also the foal depth will differ.
With lower magnification, focal depth of eyepiece is shallower and it is easier to find the focus position.
This is why we recommend to adjust at the lowest magnification.