• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Direct mount or rail scope mount?

TexasHaag

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2022
Killeen Texas
Greetings,
Working on setting my first bolt action rifle a Bergara HMR Pro 6.5 Creedmoor. I intend to move my Vortex Viper PST GenII 5-25x50 from my gasser. Up to now all my optics have been rail mounted. I'm thinking that mounting the rings directly to the rifle receiver would be the strongest. Fewer parts to loosen or move.
What does the collective say on this subject?
texashaag

Greetings,
Working on setting my first bolt action rifle a Bergara HMR Pro 6.5 Creedmoor. I intend to move my Vortex Viper PST GenII 5-25x50 from my gasser. Up to now all my optics have been rail mounted. I'm thinking that mounting the rings directly to the rifle receiver would be the strongest. Fewer parts to loosen or move.
texashaag

Put a quality, 20 MOA Picatinny rail on the receiver, attach rings to it, put scope in rings, torque it all correctly and move on.

You're overthinking this

Yup overthinking. Also a direct mount limits the eye relief and where the ring is on the scope tube. You can control that with a good base and rings. Get a good base and rings.

Greetings,
texashaag

What do all these hard use rifles have in common?

I think it's fair to say that quality rings clamped to a quality, angled MIL-STD-1903 rail is more than strong enough.

1668003652961.png

1668003724119.png

1668003766753.png

1668003935141.png

What do all these hard use rifles have in common?

I think it's fair to say that quality rings clamped to a quality, angled MIL-STD-1903 rail is more than strong enough.

View attachment 7995034

View attachment 7995035

View attachment 7995037

View attachment 7995038
They are yellow?

Those are bolt guns, gas guns, screw on and milled in rails in stocks and chassises. Separate rings and monolithic scope mounts...

@TexasHaag I mount all my scopes in Spuhr monolithic canted mounts on in the action milled in dove tails. If that is applicable for you, do that. One less screw on part is one less source of possible error.

They are yellow?

Those are bolt guns, gas guns, screw on and milled in rails in stocks and chassises. Separate rings and monolithic scope mounts...

Your username is fitting.........

They are all hard use rifles. They all have scopes attached to the rifle via a MIL-STD-1913 interface. The difference between rings and monolithic mounts is irrelevant.

Well you are a jerk, nothing new... Trying to be rude does not lend weight to your arguement.

OP's question was?

OP's question was?

It was him overthinking a simple thing and not thinking of the downsides I have run into and mentioned. There is no reason for a one piece mount and base being screwed to an action. More cons than pros but if he has to learn that lesson himself than his money to waste.

Greetings,
texashaag

Just because there might be fewer parts with a dove-tail or one piece arrangement, the construction (material, thickness, etc) of the parts dictates their strength, not how many. There are many options out there, however the easy button is a Seekins Precision for a Rem 700 short action 20 MOA scope base and Seekins Precision matched rings (or Vortex Precision Matched Rings - made by Seekins). You probably already are aware, but just a reminder that the Bergara HMR Pro uses the 8-40 screws instead of the standard Rem 700 6-48 screws.

https://seekinsprecision.com/scope-rings-mounts/moa-scope-bases.html

https://seekinsprecision.com/parts-accessories/scope-rings-mounts/scope-rings-30mm-tube.html

This video might help.

Reactions: Rob01