• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Direct Thread vs Area 419 hellfire

YotaEer

Montani Semper Liberi
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
Pittsburgh
I have a Rex Silentium MG7 in jail that I plan to use exclusively on my tikka CTR 6.5 CM. My initial plan is to simply direct thread to take advantage of the weight savings and no tolerance stacking. This can will only come off for cleaning. It will fit in my safe, bag etc on the rifle all other times.

Other options are looking at the area 419 system as essentially direct thread but with a solid lockup. Gun is taken hunting and field shooting weekly, so the can staying put is important.

I also already have an omega 300 with ASR that I’ve swapped between this CTR and my ARs. It has been solid but the ASR brakes get carbon buildup and shift zero slightly. I will retain this system for my ARs and use the omega on them exclusively. Point being, I could use this Rex can in ASR too, but it’s my least preferred option.

Any thoughts on whether to just use direct thread or some newer QD/lockup system than ASR?

Last edited:
I really like the Area 419 system for precision type rifles... makes it nice to be able to easily move cans between rifles and swap up with muzzle brakes... I've never had a problem with the system. If it's just one rifle, or you have multiple rifles all threaded the same, then I guess it doesn't matter much.

I ditched ASR for Dead Air Keymo... I just found its WAY easier to take on / off. the ASR would get carbon locked then the mount would stay locked to the muzzle device and the can would screw of the mount. The Omega 300 and the Rex can's use the same thread pattern. Dead air makes a mount with the pattern that fits.

I don't know if I would personally use the Area419 on a carbine type rifle... I'd personally want something that actually "locked" on in some manner, instead of just screwing on.

Reactions: YotaEer
If it was just going to stay on until cleaning, just direct thread it. Im a big fan of the 419 system, but I dont think it does anything for your application. Keep it simple.

Reactions: YotaEer
If it was just going to stay on until cleaning, just direct thread it. Im a big fan of the 419 system, but I dont think it does anything for your application. Keep it simple.

This is where I’m leaning and makes sense. My only experience with cans is my omega with ASR so I’m probably overthinking the direct thread coming loose. Read where Teflon tape helps keep it on and may try that route

I take cans off for storage and transport, and dont like messing around with thread protectors. The 419 is simple and both parts are nitrided steel, so its hard to mess them up. The same could be said for other systems. Q Plan B for example. The Keymo system is a neat design, but imo its long and heavy.