• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Disappearing reticle?

CTCOP

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
New Haven County
I use a Remington 700 USR .308 with a Nightforce 8.5 X 22 scope. Both are brand new. Here is the issue. As I look through the scope, at first, I have a nice visible reticle. After a couple of shots, it seems as though the reticle gets thinner to the point where the crosshairs are almost not visible. So far I have only shot in daylight, very sunn conditions. Has anyone heard of this? Or is an issue with me? Thanks

Re: Disappearing reticle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CTCOP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce 8.5 X 22 scope.</div></div>

I don't think you own a Nightforce. Didn't know such a model exists
smile.gif

Did you properly focus your reticle via the eyepiece as instructed before you started using it?

Eye strain could very well be the issue. I have some days I can't stay behind the scope as long as other days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eye strain could very well be the issue. I have some days I can't stay behind the scope as long as other days. </div></div>

Thats what I was thinking.

I am having a similar thing happening with a super sniper, but if I light up the reticle, the problem seems to be gone.

As the day goes on while out shooting, I have seen this to become more of a problem as my eyes get tired. It also seems to happen while shooting at 100 yrds then when I shoot out at 800-1000. I think I strain my eyes harder when shooting at a 1in dot at 100yrds than when I shoot at larger targets.

I used to have the same problem until I started shooting with both eyes open, seemed to help me alot.

Just a thought, hope it helps.

you might be holding your breath without noticing a little to long first think to go is eye sight.

Started having the same trouble when my eyes developed an astigmatism problem and the eye strain didn't help either.

The breathing is a great tip, holding it too long makes a big difference in maintaining a good sight picture. All kidding aside glasses do help to equal out eye strain problems.

Eye strain, breath holding and blurred vision, very bright shooting conditions, or parallax adjustment. At distance, mirage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cemac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to have the same problem until I started shooting with <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">both eyes open</span></span>, seemed to help me alot.

Just a thought, hope it helps. </div></div>

what he said......

I had this problem when I first fielded the scope without adjusting the eyepiece. Came home and followed the directions for adjustment, and now I don't have the problem anymore.

Just keep playing around with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you focus the eyepiece?
John III </div></div>

My money is on that fix as well. The adustment on NF's is so fine that its easy to play with it, play with it while adjusting it, and accept what you think is a good adjustment, but your eyes are actually doing the fine focusing. Then in the field they tire faster from trying to maintain that fine foucs.
I've noticed eyepiece focus to be much more important as I've gotten over 40....