• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

disappointed with 300 win mag reloading manual

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
I bought one of the universal reloading books from Midway for the 300 win mag.... it uses diffrent powders and bullets from diffrent manufactures,,,,,,I recieved the manual excited to be able to reload with it..... guess what they dont have a load in there for 210grn Seirra Match king..... wow is all I can say

Re: disappointed with 300 win mag reloading manual

One size fits all - rarely does. But think of all the money you saved by not having to get the manual from Sierra. The real manuals have a lot more information in them besides data as well. They are well worth the investment - buy all you can. FYI Both Ramshot and Accurate list data for a 210 in 300 WM.

I keep about 5-6 different manuals for the cartridges I load for and then still use some online forums as well.

My "big, thick" Hornady book, which I "just bought"[a year ago], doesn't show any loads for THEIR 208 Amax. I'm using data from the guys, here, for my new gun. Guess I missed the switch, on the "new" manual. make sure ya get the latest printing/edition, and not one that's been sitting in the store, for a few years.

Take the min/max average of the 200grn and 220grn and use that. It's what I did over a decade ago when no data was available for the 210grn bullets.

71.4 grains. R22. Work your way up. Its temp stability sucks so load em hotter in the winter. Ex. 72.7r22 210 vld. Summer. 73.1 r22 winter gives me +~ 2900 fps. H1000 is also great. 75 grains I'm guessing. Check !!! It has very good temp stablity. I would change but I'm too far in to go back. Good luck.

sierra, berger, and hornady all have excellent customer service for load data both by phone and email. berger has even emailed me on a sunday pm with data.

Have had very good luck with RL-25, did a work up and with just flashholes done and trueing primer pockets. Sizing Win brass as close to chamber as possible.
Shooting the 200gr SMK for matches and the 200 SGK for hunting they shoot about the same no real difference.
215M primers, Win Brass, and 76.5 RL-25 THIS LOAD SHOWS OVER MAX. Caution is to be used... Alliant Powder web site shows
75gr as max.

My favorite caliber. Do you have components already? We could provide a little more pointed help if so.

My 3-hun likes:

76.0 H1000
Hornady Brass
208 AMAX (off the lands a few thou)
CCI magnum primer
2900+ from a 26in tube.

I started the load workup doing pretty much what Rob said - splitting the difference between those two and working up to it conservatively. I went up from the 73gr. range and found a nice accuracy node for my gun with no pressure signs. If you work it up gradually you will be fine.

--Fargo007

I have a couple of those, and the data is usually at least two publications out of date.

I have three shelves full of reloading manuals, and make sure I get the latest and greatest. They are tools, and useful even when severely out of date as a reference. Powders and bullets change rapidly, almost as fast as consumer electronics, and this hobby takes a little dedication and learning.

You wouldn't take your car to a mechanic with his shelves littered with out-of-date service manuals, would you?

We use "cannister" powders. That means each manufactored lot of each labeled type falls into a very narrow burn rate and those burn rate specifications never change. Therefore it matters not when it was made or by whom or if the chemical process was identical; if it says IMR-4895, etc, that's what we can exprect, within the normal limits. Not only is there no reason for makers to shift powder burn characteristics without warning users it would be legally insane for them to do so.

Cautions to "only use up to date data" is lawyer boiler plate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take the min/max average of the 200grn and 220grn and use that. It's what I did over a decade ago when no data was available for the 210grn bullets. </div></div>

What I have done for decades. It isn't rocket science....well maybe it is , but still. Use common sense and everything will work out fine.

When I started loading my own
I picked a bullett 220 SMK
I bought the Sierra manual.
The accuracy load for the 220 SMK
used Hodgdon H4831 so I bought the
Hodgdon manual compaired the two and
worked up a very sweet load and haven't
looked back. HH
grin.gif