• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Disappointed with BCM 18" SPR barrel

Its not even close to semantics. Its a specific design with specific features.

Its like someone taking a 12.5 AR upper, and dropping a non DD rail on it and calling it a MK18. No sorry bud, its a 10.3" with RIS II rail.

Its ignorance pure and simple. You can't just call anything anything you want because it has a part or two in commonality. Otherwise we would all be shooting "glocks" "AK47's" and "assualt rifles".

Like the Patch btw. 29th is one of my SSI's.

I agree with you. I know the Marines used 20" barrels on the SAM-R's. But you make a good argument....

I agree with you. I know the Marines used 20" barrels on the SAM-R's. But you make a good argument....

Yea they are good shooters. AMU also did some cool stuff with 20" guns but keeping the FSB do they look like a M16A2 at range. Except they were accurized and have Krieger/CLE barrels in them.

I think the 18" was kind of a compromisebetween weight/manuverability and the old thought process that 5.56 needs barrel length. It's been proven that 16" is more than adaquate for the range of the caliber and one of the reasons you will probally never see another 5.56 rifle over 16" in military service.

MK12 was a great concept and brough a capability gap between the rifleman and a sniper. Now the MK17 (SCAR17) has made that irrelvent. While .308 does suffer on the SBR side, 16" is the sweet spot and with the right ammo, should be a good 1000 yard gun. That gives a good 2-300yd increased range over the MK12 with better barrier penetration and more energy at impact. Now imagine if they rechambered them to .260 or 6.5CM (will never happen), now they would be cooking with gasoline. Its not like you need ammo comonality between the SDM and the M240/Mk48 guners. No one is delinking ball and tracer to throw into a precision rifle.

Yea they are good shooters. AMU also did some cool stuff with 20" guns but keeping the FSB do they look like a M16A2 at range. Except they were accurized and have Krieger/CLE barrels in them.

I think the 18" was kind of a compromisebetween weight/manuverability and the old thought process that 5.56 needs barrel length. It's been proven that 16" is more than adaquate for the range of the caliber and one of the reasons you will probally never see another 5.56 rifle over 16" in military service.

MK12 was a great concept and brough a capability gap between the rifleman and a sniper. Now the MK17 (SCAR17) has made that irrelvent. While .308 does suffer on the SBR side, 16" is the sweet spot and with the right ammo, should be a good 1000 yard gun. That gives a good 2-300yd increased range over the MK12 with better barrier penetration and more energy at impact. Now imagine if they rechambered them to .260 or 6.5CM (will never happen), now they would be cooking with gasoline. Its not like you need ammo comonality between the SDM and the M240/Mk48 guners. No one is delinking ball and tracer to throw into a precision rifle.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, what are they running for ammo in the SCAR-H's? I was thinking ball ammo.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, what are they running for ammo in the SCAR-H's? I was thinking ball ammo.

I don't know exactly what "they" are running, but from talking to some people: MK316, MK319 and some M118LR.

The MK319 is suposed to be VERY impressive out of the Mk17. 130gr Bonded? OTM SOST pushing like 2950 FPS.

There is also a 7.62 EPR similar in construction to M885A1. Steel penetrator and copper core/jacket.... leadfree. And its GREEN! So the poor guy you just leaked out woudn't get lead poisioning. Think Barnes TSX topped with a steel tip.

Bullet design and selection has come a LONG way in just 10 short years.

Last edited:
mine always shot well with the right ammo. 77smk and varget do very well. This is from when I did load development 1" stickers @ 100 yds 5 shots each. Shot a 7" 30 shot group @ 500 with it rapid fire also.

So you actually never found anything wrong with either barrels? You felt there could be a issue when you pushed a patch down them? You can't be serious. I just believe the bullet. Never a chrono.

As per the conversation between me and a barrel maker, it happened. You can feel free not to believe it if you want. However I don't spew bullshit or rumors.

So I might have to eat a little bit of crow here. I did some load development on the Douglas and came up with this:

20140930_185629_zpsphkka16v.jpg

Load was:
69 SMK
23.7 8208 XBR
Geco brass
CCI BR4

Standard deviation of 30 rounds was 18 fps. About half of what I had gotten before with BH 77grain.

It also still loves 55gr FMJ:

39CB54AF-5774-4DC3-8296-7EEADF24B2B9-1127-000001B5DD315106_zps0face5d7.jpg

Now I just need to stretch my handloads to 600, which is the furthest I'll be shooting with it.

No one is getting bent out of shape...... But words have meaninings.
Ignorance should not be tollerated at any level, and needs to be corrected. Its not a shot him, just a simple fact.

SPR has two meanings in the world of guns... Special Purpose Rifle, AKA Mk12 and the FN SPR, which we could agree this is not what he was talking about.

The SPR was a gun deveoped by CRANE with atleast 4 known variants.

ALL SPR's had 18" barrels and ALL SPR's had either a folding front sight like PRI or a rail mounted sight.

What he posted is not in any way shape or form a SPR, SPR Variant, or loose SPR Clone. It is as much of a SPR as it is a MK18 or M4. Its closer to a SDM or possiblly a SAM-R, but those also had no FSB.

Its like calling a Ford a Ferarri, and then people like you come in defending them....

The difference between an 18" and 20" barrel with the same gas system is minimal.

The front sight on a rifle with a scope is useless and has no bearing on what it's used for.

The concept of an SPR is based on MISSION--a rifle that is in-between a carbine and a longer range sniper type rifle.

People who actually go to the range and shoot instead of learning everything about shooting from video games would understand that a 20" with the right scope and the right weight of barrel is absolutely an SPR.

Whether you want to call it something else or not doesn't impose these concepts on others. Language is loose for a reason and I think most of us would not place something outside of the SPR category because it has an extra 2" of barrel and a useless front sight.

Now if it had a 16x scope on it and a bull barrel, that'd be a different story.....