• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Disclaimer i know nothing......

hukset402

Weld On!
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2020
nebraska
Question: Can you run "uncrimped" rounds through a crimping die to use them in an AR?

Hopefully this question has a some what simple answer. As stated I know almost nothing about reloading other than they very basics of how it works.

I have a pile of .223 that was handloaded years ago by my best freind. He reloads a lot and I'm jot worried about them. He said that they were loaded for a bolt gun and were not "crimped" so they shouldn't be used in am AR.

I'm going to ask him the same question next time I talk to him.

Thanks in advance.

First of all, are they loaded to saami length? Or were they loaded long for the bolt gun. That may cause problems if it was. Also make sure none of the primers are “proud” exposed above the casehead. (Slam fire potential)

I would load go to the range and check. Bring some calipers. Measure 1, Load it in your magazine, and chamber it don’t fire it. Extract and measure.
If no movement, measure three, Load them, in the magazine, chamber and shoot one, extract the one out of the chamber and measure, remove the one from the magazine and measure.
If all is good try it with 5, then 10 in the mag. Always checking the measurement of the last one in the mag. Sometimes the recoil and movement in the magazine will set the bullets back.

Ymmv, imho, be safe out there. I don’t crimp my semi auto stuff but I run .003-.004 neck tension.

Question: Can you run "uncrimped" rounds through a crimping die to use them in an AR?

Hopefully this question has a some what simple answer. As stated I know almost nothing about reloading other than they very basics of how it works.

I have a pile of .223 that was handloaded years ago by my best freind. He reloads a lot and I'm jot worried about them. He said that they were loaded for a bolt gun and were not "crimped" so they shouldn't be used in am AR.

I'm going to ask him the same question next time I talk to him.

Thanks in advance.
I run uncrimped loads in my AR15 5.56 chamber. I test the loads for bullet movement prior to running them. But another thing to consider is are they safe in your AR? Since your buddy said don't run them in your AR I'd just not run them.

id be more worried about the fact they were loaded for a bolt gun (bullet, powder, length) than a crimp

sounds like a good excuse to build a 223 bolt gun to me

Reactions: 338dude and xsn10s
Funny story.... I sold a .223 bolt gun to get into a 6.5cm. Then I moved and found about 1000 of the rounds in question in the back of my locker. Along with another 1k factory varmagedon rounds.

Guess I'll start kitting up the gun counter around the new house (moved 80 miles) and see what I can find.

Thanks gents.

Reactions: 338dude and xsn10s
I have a pile of .223 that was handloaded years ago by my best friend. He reloads a lot and I'm jot worried about them. He said that they were loaded for a bolt gun and were not "crimped" so they shouldn't be used in am AR.
Yes, you can run "uncrimped" rounds through a crimping die to use them in an AR. If you crimp, it is considered best to crimp as a separate step after seating the bullet. Many people say that with adequate neck tension, a crimp is not necessary for use in a semi-automatic.

Do you have the data, i.e. Bullet, Powder Charge, and Primer used? Are the loads moderate, or are they near max?

In your case, the one who loaded them says not to use in a semi-automatic.

Reactions: 338dude