• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Discreet Ballistics Silencer Metering Day 2019

DiscreetBallistics

Private
Minuteman
On June 8, 2019 Discreet Ballistics decided to spend a perfect 75 degree New Hampshire Saturday taking a look at one of the more important of these factors. We measured the sound reduction of 36 silencers all shooting our 300BLK subsonic ammunition and 7 of these 36 were shot with supersonic 175gr 308WIN Federal Gold Medal Match. In addition to numerous representatives from silencer companies, we were lucky enough to be joined by a team from Brüel & Kjær as well as Erich Thalheimer a board certified acoustical engineer and former Brüel & Kjær employee. As some of you may know, the old standby for silencer testing is the venerable Brüel & Kjær 2209 which was last manufactured in the early 1970s. This analog instrument with its 20µs rise time is the current accepted standard for silencer sound reduction testing (Mil-1474D and Mil-1474E). Currently no hand held digital meter can come close to the accuracy achieved with the Brüel & Kjær 2209. We were fortunate enough to have Brüel & Kjær bring along some new hardware in the form of a semi field portable Pulse system which has gained the moniker “mini-Pulse”. So in the woods of New Hampshire we pitted two 40+ year old analog 2209s against a brand new digital mini-Pulse which had just received a fresh software update from engineers in Denmark to streamline its user interface.
To learn more about the new Brüel & Kjær mini-Pulse you can read about it here:
https://bksv.com/en/products/data-a...alyzer-system/Impulse-noise-evaluation-system

aln8rk.png

With us were representatives from a dozen silencer manufacturers some of whom made the trip from as far as Montana. Many of those who couldn’t make the trip graciously sent us 30cal silencers to test. We followed a relatively simple (albeit slightly modified) protocol. Standard 1474 distances were observed but due to some cable length limitations we opted to set up the 2209 and mini-Pulse microphones to the left of the muzzle rather than the right side. Two microphones were set up on the left side of the shooter 6” from the shooter’s ear. They were in direct line of sight with the muzzle of the suppressor. A Ruger American Ranch with a 16” barrel was used as a host and 5 shots were recorded per silencer. Additionally, a 308WIN Ruger Gunsite Scout with a 16” barrel was used to test supersonic ammunition.
Temperature and weight (with attachment device) of every silencer was recorded prior to shooting. Atmospheric conditions were recorded every two hours utilizing a Kestrel handheld weather station. A control silencer was shot to accompany the recording of atmospheric conditions to help account for any dB performance swings throughout the test day. A large LCD TV acted as a monitor for attendees to look at real time sound measurements.

a5jf5h.png

We quickly began to notice a discrepancy in the readings between the 2209s and the mini-Pulse. Northeastern Sales Engineer for Brüel & Kjær, Steve Kawamura was manning the mini-Pulse throughout test day and he drafted a document to explain the deltas we saw between analog and digital systems.

It can be accessed here: https://www.scribd.com/document/413...ve-Noise?secret_password=lxbbXUH9lPFTofXwTnMT

In addition to collecting dB measurements we were able to collect shot “duration” data with the mini-Pulse. The following is from Brüel & Kjær regarding this measurement:

fxdn5x.png

And finally the raw data:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NMuBVWhcK13kmjfQcP2otQhcJVyVzbvrZhgPOQFBe90/edit#gid=0

Our plan is to thoroughly analyze the results in the coming weeks and of course start thinking about our 2020 Silencer metering day where we hope to have even more great silencer companies attend!

TBAC was louder than I would have guessed, and Q was quieter. I assumed Q's numbers would be higher and that is why they will never release numbers. Guess that's what I get for assuming, Awesome info..

TBAC was louder than I would have guessed, and Q was quieter. I assumed Q's numbers would be higher and that is why they will never release numbers. Guess that's what I get for assuming, Awesome info..

Remember, this is with .308 subs. As we've seen from the recent suppressed nation videos, different cans handle different pressure cartridges differently. Which is to say that when you run full house .308 through these, the TBAC will be quieter (same thing happened with the Nomad vs. Trash Panda on .300blk subs vs. 5.56 supers).

Thanks for taking the time to put this together and for sharing your results!

The results shooting supersonic 308 with muzzle the same or higher than the ear would have been my prediction for all ammo. Never would have guessed that it was possible, even with subsonic ammo, for noise at the muzzle to be less than noise at the ear on a bolt gun... a semi-auto ok, but a bolt gun... never.

A few Quick questions:
- Any specific reason for choosing those 7 to test with supersonic ammo?
- What does the * by the names denote?

As we've seen from the recent suppressed nation videos, different cans handle different pressure cartridges differently.

Never knew these guys existed... Looks like I've got a new channel I need to start watching.

Remember, this is with .308 subs. As we've seen from the recent suppressed nation videos, different cans handle different pressure cartridges differently. Which is to say that when you run full house .308 through these, the TBAC will be quieter (same thing happened with the Nomad vs. Trash Panda on .300blk subs vs. 5.56 supers).
Good point. I'm a TBAC fanboy, and have an ultra 7 in jail, so I'm glad to hear that.

We didn't use any 308 subs for this testing. They are much quieter than our 300BLK subs because we're able to use a much faster burning powder for our 308 Subs

Thanks for taking the time to put this together and for sharing your results!

The results shooting supersonic 308 with muzzle the same or higher than the ear would have been my prediction for all ammo. Never would have guessed that it was possible, even with subsonic ammo, for noise at the muzzle to be less than noise at the ear on a bolt gun... a semi-auto ok, but a bolt gun... never.

A few Quick questions:
- Any specific reason for choosing those 7 to test with supersonic ammo?
- What does the * by the names denote?

Never knew these guys existed... Looks like I've got a new channel I need to start watching.

After most of the day testing with 300BLK subs we had only had time to test a few cans with supersonic 308WIN 175gr FGMM out of our 16" Ruger Scout test rifle. Due to the time constraint we gave manufacturers present at the metering day the chance to meter one can only with the 308 supers.

The asterisk denotes the first reading(s) went beyond the 20dB range on the 2209 - mostly due to loud FRP. Some larger volume cans required more than one shot to burn the oxygen out of the can. While we were able to capture the data on the 2209 for these shots the mini-Pulse did capture it, but unfortunately we didn't save the data :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah that looked really weird to me, we have PULSE data on the U7 that is a lot quieter. (data summary in Youtube description) Not sure what happened, they almost look like supersonic numbers. I'll have the engineers dig through our data library on Monday to see if anything makes sense.

Was thinking the same thing. It likely has something to do with the powder we use in our 300BLK subs (which needs to cycle all types of actions) is much louder than what we use in our 308 Subs. Couple that with the extra 4-5" of barrel on Ray's rifle in video..

I’ve got a bunch of TB in jail now, and a few others as well. Only thing for certain in these suppressor vids is that they are all over the place. Doesn’t seem to matter who’s doing it. Then there’s the subjectiveness of tone. I don’t think I’m gonna be unhappy with any of mine.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers