• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

distance for iron sights on 22 pistol

OldmaninNeb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2009
Nebraska
OK, so realistically, how far do you set your target out and what size group do you get with a 22lr pistol?

I'm finding 20-25 yards sure opens up my group... but then I'm just starting out. Would be nice to know what everyone else is doing.

Re: distance for iron sights on 22 pistol

I suck, and at 25y I can keep 7-8/10 rounds within 5", isosceles stand, relatively rapid fire (about 3s / shot).
I've seen people do MUCH better though
smile.gif

A while back I used a friend's Ruger Bearcat against a 18"x36" hanging steel plate. I could routinely get 4-5 hits out of 6 shots at 200 yards.

But seriously, like all pistol, start in close with very small targets (2" dots at 3 yds to start), then move out, slowly increasing target distance, target size, and speed. If you find your groups opening up too much, slow down and re-focus on fundamentals before progressing forward. You can purchase standardized bullseye targets for various ranges if you're not sure what size you should be aiming at ...

I have .22LR pistols that I plink cans, clay pigeons, etc. at 100yds all the time (IZH-35M, custom Ruger MkIII, S&W 2206T). How far you can accurately shoot one depends on you, the quality of the pistol/ammo you are using, conditions, etc. As for shooting targets, 50yds is my limit.

Weaver's advice is very solid. Start out shooting small targets at closer ranges and move out in 5yd increments. Try not to increase your target size too much (i.e. - Aim small...miss small). When I am not using NRA pistol targets (variety dep on range and what I am shooting), I run plain white sheets of copy paper with a 1" to 2" orange sticker target dots in the center.

Don't concentrate on rapid fire shooting just yet if you are just learning/"starting out." Work on consistency in your grip, trigger pull, sight picture, etc. It will come with time, practice, and LOTS of rimfire ammo down range!
wink.gif

Good luck!!

I would regularly shoot my 45ACP, 9mm, and .22LR target pistols with iron sights at 25yd and 50yd targets. The issue with iron sights is the sight picture. In my experience, the MOA dispersions at 25 and 50 yards were identical.

Nowadays I neither own nor shoot handguns. I chose not to. I don't like the local enforcement/judicial climate that governs my abilities to acquire such firearms, and really have no good need for them anyway. It's <span style="font-style: italic">my</span> choice, and I feel no need to justify it to anyone. My rifles, shotguns, and muzzle loader keep me way busy enough as it is.

Greg

I routinely shoot at 25 yards, all of my .22 handguns will shoot 1"/5shot groups at that distance (Ruger 22/45, S&W 22A, IZH35M). Some days I can only do 2" or so and it does takes some practice but it really helps reinforce the fundamentals and improves my shooting with larger calibers at all distances.