• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report DistanceMap iPhone App

SLO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2012
Portland, OR
Does anyone use the DistanceMap app for ranging? Seems to be pretty accurate if you can locate where your target is on the map.

Re: DistanceMap iPhone App

Is there no option for standing next to your target and pinning it, then doing the same from your shooting location?

I doubt if it is possible through direct GPS measuring better than with good LRF.
What we can usually get is 5m accuracy and about 1.0 HDOP (horizontal dilution of precision). It means real position is +/- 5m.
Best solution I got is on android - LocusPro + GPSAveraging. GPSAveraging scans position multiple times, then compute average gps coordinates. LocusPro imports GPSAveraging data and it is possible to see distance between points. In general it works equal to LRF. Sometimes error is crazy. It depends on atmosphere/sattelites.. maybe something more. Never checked how this works under downhill/uphill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there no option for standing next to your target and pinning it, then doing the same from your shooting location? </div></div>

That's actually a really good point. You can always move the pin slightly if it appears to be off. Right now, I'm lying in bed but GPS shows me about 3' behind me in the side yard.