• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Distinguished shooter dies in Afghanistan

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
Army MSG Jared Van Aalst died in Afghanistan this week. He had served for 15 years and was on his sixth deployment. He was a Distinguished Rifleman and Distinguished Pistol. His is survived by his wife and two daughters.

Story

Re: Distinguished shooter dies in Afghanistan

MSG Jared Van Aalst was a class act and a great guy!!! While at Rocky Mountain 3 gun in Raton NM this we learned of the loss of a great man!!

I met Jared in the mid 90's and he was not only a good shooter but a great guy!!

He will be missed Semper Fi Brother!!

Holy shit.

I have known Jared since 02 where I met him and his team mate at the North American Sniper Champs. Talked to him several times while he was connected with AMU and instruction. Would catch him once or twice a year to see what was up or ask for his input on a project or two.

Jared Van Aalst was not only a great guy and distinguished shooter but he was also a "go to" guy when anything was going on at the front of any training or equipment evolution. When you read or hear about the term "tip of the spear" for our warriors, Jared and his groups should come to mind.

I really hate that for us, for his unit brothers and for our country but most of all for his family.
Thank you Jared for all you have done.
Peace be with you brother.

Thanks for posting this Kraig. As usual, I am never up to speed on any news and would hate to have found out about this later or at an inconvenient moment.

Most respectfully,
Terry

RIP dear Brother. Another terrible loss. Prayers for his family.

Robbie Johnson gave us the news at Rocky Mountain Three Gun this last week.

RIP

RIP -

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Van Aalst's other awards included two Meritorious Service Medals, two Joint Service Commendation Medals, three Army Commendation Medals, seven Army Achievement Medals, five Good Conduct Medals, a National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Service Star, an Afghanistan Campaign Medal with two Bronze Service Stars, an Iraq Campaign Medal with two Bronze Service Stars, a Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, a Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, a Noncommissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon, an Army Service Ribbon, a Combat Infantryman Badge, an Expert Infantryman Badge, a Pathfinder Badge, a Master Parachutist Badge, a Distinguished Pistol Shooting Badge, a Distinguished Rifleman Badge, an Excellence in Competition (Pistol) Badge and the Ranger tab.
</div></div>

I looked at this post several times and ignored it because I have not competed with the rifle team and thought we were from different backgrounds and I would not know him.

Then, I opened it and clicked on the link to read the story. I then went out on my back porch to weep.

May the Lord's best angels comfort him....

R.I.P. warrior.
God Bless