• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Diving into 6 Dasher loading

Kyskeet

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2017
Whidden or Hornady hyd forming die. I been using full length bushing type dies, which bushing for Lapua brass. I'd like to have my brass worked up before the barrel is complete.

.265 bushing if it will be expansion only, .263 bushing if you are wanting to expand the necks back open .002.

Whidden or Hornady hyd forming die. I been using full length bushing type dies, which bushing for Lapua brass. I'd like to have my brass worked up before the barrel is complete.
Whidden dies. Do yourself a favor and order the click adjustable FL die too.
If you are not turning necks for consistency then I would say .265 is too tight. I suggest that a .267 bushing will work well. I skim turn the necks down to about .012 and the .267 is enough neck tension to feed from magazines.
I've been loading and shooting 6 Dasher for about ten years now; some for long range BR rifles and for mag fed repeaters too. Shoot 32.7 Varget in Lapua brass powered by CCI 450. That load has always been a good node. If you use Berger VLDs just put them slightly in the lands but Hybrids right at .010 off work well too.
Lastly, on brass, I recommend not hydroforming your own. It usually doesn't come out consistent. Send your brass to DJ's Brass Service and you'll get load and shoot 6 Dasher back. I've gotten hydro-formed brass from a couple of sources and DJ is the very best.

Reactions: Ranger188
The lapua brass I got this year is measuring .267 loaded round.
My new BR Lapua brass is measuring .269 loaded.
I have no doubt in either of your replies. This, my friends, is why someone like Peterson, Atlas or Alpha Munitions needs to start making 6BR (or even 6 Dasher) brass that is consistent as Lapua USED to be.

Reactions: spife7980
New question, does hydro forming put stress on the single stage press. Should I look to source a used press to to use exclusively for hydro forming. Don't want to damage my rocks chucker smashing it with a hammer.

So, if not neck turning, for lapua brass, a .267 bushing should work for sizing die?

About to start running dasher. .104 FB and .272 neck for reamer.

Will be running 105 hybrids in hydroformed lapua brass.

Need suggestions on which seating and sizing dies to purchase.

I bought L E Wilson bushing fl sizing die and L E Wilson chamber type seating die for use on a arbor press. Same setup I've been using on 6.5 CM .

I use .265" bushings on the 4 dashers I load for. 2 shoot hydro formed brass, 2 fire formed. It's rare I measure a loaded rd, I go off consistent seating force and downrange results. 265 works in all 4. I just measured my 2 that shoot 110's, one .268", one .2685", I really have to be careful with these 2 as I can get gas coming back on the shoulders, so I do a partial size, more or less leaving a goiter on the necks. Neck dia in the chamber is .272" supposedly by reamer print.
If I was to buy my own reamer, I would opt for a .271" neck based on what I have experienced.
I just got a new phone, but had pics of groups at 1K using a .266" and a .265" bushing, the 1 thou added tension really brought it in. The load was a hammer at 500, opened up at 1K.
Even though I like the neck lengths of fireformed brass over hydro formed, the 2 shooting hydro formed seem to be more accurate rifles, not sure what that is indicative of.