• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Divot in the shoulder

Rutter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2018
So I am reloading some brass, that I bought new. It has been fired three times. I did the Redding neck die the first time reloading and a full size Redding die the second time. This time is the third time to resize them. I am noticing that a few very few are getting a divot a small divot in the shoulder. I have cleaned my dies everything is great there. I’m wondering what the problem is. Out of 150 cases I noticed this happen to about six cases. Is this a problem that can be fixed with annealing? Or is this something else? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

So I am reloading some brass, that I bought new. It has been fired three times. I did the Redding neck die the first time reloading and a full size Redding die the second time. This time is the third time to resize them. I am noticing that a few very few are getting a divot a small divot in the shoulder. I have cleaned my dies everything is great there. I’m wondering what the problem is. Out of 150 cases I noticed this happen to about six cases. Is this a problem that can be fixed with annealing? Or is this something else? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Pics would help, but my first guess would be too much lube.

Reactions: Fig
Excess lube? I have had this happen with too much lube
That is one thing I did wonder about. I did start using less of that. I just wasn’t sure on the reasoning so I really appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Reactions: tnc
In addition to using too much lube, be careful about getting the lube too far up next to the shoulder. I always look at the cases before sizing and if any lube is on or near the shoulder, I wipe off a bit in that area.

Reactions: Rutter
I always wipe the case necks before running in die to prevent this and get better / more consistent shoulder bump.

Reactions: Rutter